Connect with us

Economy

Oil Falls Despite OPEC+ Reassurance on Market Balance

Published

on

oil revenue

By Adedapo Adesanya 

Oil prices continued to head down alarmingly on Tuesday even as the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and its allies assured that the alliance was still working well in an effort to have options to rebalance the global crude market.

At yesterday’s session, the Brent crude futures continued to trade down at $54.02 per barrel after losing $1.75 or 2.98 percent, while the WTI crude fell below the $50 mark, selling at at $49.88 per barrel on Tuesday night after shedding $1.55 equivalent to 3.01 percent.

Prices of crude oil had been facing pressure from the COVID-19 spread across Asia and into Europe with panic reducing demand. Last week, there were reports that Saudi Arabia was planning to go ahead with a cut in its output whether Russia agrees or not with the proposal of OPEC.

Saudi Arabia’s Energy Minister, Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman’s comments came due to speculation that there is tension in the OPEC+ alliance over whether to cut oil production further to 2.3 million barrels per day, a move that will help prices.

“We do communicate with each other, we use every opportunity to talk with each other,” he said in the Saudi Arabian capital of Riyadh.

“We did not run out of ideas, we haven’t lost our phones and there are always good ways of communicating through conference calls and technology is very helpful,” he added.

Prices continue to be weighed on by supply and falling demand and renewed fears surrounding the coronavirus and its impact on the global economy with cases of the virus now more than 80,000 worldwide, with about 2,700 deaths, the vast majority in China.

OPEC founding member, Iran confirmed 15 deaths from the recently spread virus with 95 cases in Iran, making it the country with the highest deaths apart from China, with Middle East countries confirming cases of the virus.

OPEC and its allies, led by Russia, will meet in Vienna, its headquarters on March 5-6 but there is uncertainty over whether the entire group will agree to cut their collective oil output further with rumors that Russia is still undecided.

Meanwhile as it stands, the alliance has reduced its total oil output by 1.7 million barrels a day in a bid to stabilize oil prices, which now faces a new threat.

The technical committee of OPEC+ met earlier in February to debate a possible oil output cut but the meeting ended with no solid agreement to speculated recommendation of 600,000 barrels per day.

However, comments from Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa Al Khalifa, Bahrain’s oil minister, that a cut of the recommended barrels per day, as suggested by OPEC’s joint technical committee, could be considered at next week’s OPEC meeting.

“If the market mechanism and the consensus is yes then, absolutely, yes.

“It’s the OPEC and OPEC+ mechanism thas proven very effective to balance markets and that’s what it’s there for. There is a temporary need to make some measures,” he said.

The market isn’t looking too promising going into Wednesday as United States crude inventories ended February 21, which will be released on Wednesday, are expected to rise for a fifth consecutive week.

The only possible support for prices could come from OPEC and allies Russia, whose decision to join hands to cut supply further will spur futures pointing north.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Economy

Oil Market Dips Amid Uncertainty Over US Military Action

Published

on

Crude Oil Prices

By Adedapo Adesanya

The oil market edged lower on Tuesday but remained well above $100 per barrel, as investors weighed mixed signals from President Donald Trump on the resumption of military strikes against Iran.

Brent crude futures lost 0.73 per cent to trade at $111.28 per barrel, and the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) fell 0.82 per cent to sell for $107.77 per barrel.

President Trump told reporters Tuesday that the US. might have to give Iran “another big hit” after he had previously posted that his administration would ‘hold off’ on a planned military attack, renewing the threat after he said he called off the attack scheduled for Tuesday at the request of the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The American President also said that Iran has a “limited period of time” to agree to a deal, giving options “two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week.”

Iran’s latest peace proposal to ​the US involves ending hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon, the exit of US forces from areas close to Iran and reparations for destruction caused by the war.

Meanwhile, the US imposed sanctions on an Iranian foreign currency exchange house and what it said were front companies overseeing transactions on behalf of Iranian banks. It also blocked 19 vessels, which it said were involved in shipping Iranian petroleum and petrochemicals to foreign customers. It also seized an oil tanker linked to Iran in the Indian Ocean overnight.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent extended a sanctions waiver by 30 ​days to allow “energy-vulnerable” countries ⁠to continue purchasing Russian seaborne oil.

Oil markets continue to price in persistent supply disruptions in the Middle East, with analysts noting that hopes that China would help broker progress during recent Trump-Xi talks failed to materialise.

Goldman Sachs forecasts that every month the Strait of Hormuz remains closed adds $10 to the price of oil at year’s end, while ING said some shipping activity through the Strait of Hormuz has resumed, including several crude tankers and a Vietnamese-bound Iraqi oil shipment, though flows remain well below normal levels and could deteriorate quickly.

The American Petroleum Institute (API) estimated that crude oil inventories in the US fell by 9.1 million barrels in the week ending May 15. In the week prior, US crude oil inventories fell by 2.188 million barrels. Official data from the US Energy Information Administration (EIA) will be released later on Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Economy

All Set for Champion Breweries’ 50th AGM on Thursday

Published

on

2025 Champion Breweries AGM

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

Barring any last-minute changes, the 50th Annual General Meeting (AGM) of Champion Breweries Plc will take place on Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Oriental Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos, at 11:00 am.

At the yearly shareholders’ gathering, some of the key statutory and governance matters to be considered will include the Audited Financial Statements for the year ended December 31, 2025, alongside the Reports of the Directors, Auditors, and the Audit Committee.

Other agenda items are the declaration of dividends, election and re-election of Directors, authorisation for Directors to determine the remuneration of the Auditors, and election/re-election of shareholders’ representatives to the Audit Committee.

In line with its commitment to transparency, accountability, and shareholder engagement, the AGM will be held physically while also being accessible to stakeholders via the company’s official website: www.championbreweries.com.

This year’s AGM comes at a defining moment in the organisation’s corporate journey, following a transformative year marked by strategic expansion initiatives, including the acquisition of Bullet Energy Drink and its successful engagement with the capital market to raise growth capital.

These developments reinforce Champion Breweries Plc’s commitment to strengthening its competitive positioning, expanding its portfolio, and delivering long-term shareholder value.

The brewer has strengthened its transition into a group structure with the acquisition of an 80 per cent stake in enJOYbev B.V., a strategic move already delivering early earnings contribution and validating its international expansion drive.

The subsidiary’s results are now being consolidated into the Group accounts for the first time, with enJOYbev B.V. already contributing positively to earnings through operating profitability within the reporting period, an early validation of the group’s expansion strategy.

“This AGM reflects a defining chapter in our journey as a Company. The acquisition of Bullet, our successful capital market engagement, and the integration of enJOYbev B.V. into our group structure all signal a deliberate strategy for sustainable growth and diversification.

“These milestones position Champion Breweries Plc for stronger performance, broader market reach, and enhanced shareholder value. We remain committed to disciplined execution, operational excellence, and the highest standards of corporate governance,” the chairman of Champion Breweries, Mr Imo Abasi Jacob, said.

Continue Reading

Economy

NRS Launches Unified Tax ID System

Published

on

tax guidelines

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS) has unveiled a unified Taxpayer Identification (Tax ID) system for all taxable persons across the country as part of efforts to strengthen tax administration and improve transparency.

The agency announced the development in a public notice issued jointly with the Joint Revenue Board (JRB) on Monday.

According to the notice, the initiative is backed by Sections 6, 7, and 8 of the Nigeria Tax Administration Act, 2025, which mandate every taxable person in Nigeria to obtain a Tax ID, in a wider move to expand the country’s tax base.

The NRS said the new framework is designed to create a centralised and harmonised taxpayer database that would enhance interactions between taxpayers and revenue authorities at both federal and sub-national levels.

“The Tax ID will serve as a single, unified identity for all taxpayers, enabling seamless interaction with tax authorities at both federal and sub-national levels. It is designed to consolidate taxpayer records, eliminate duplication, and ensure more efficient management of tax-related information,” the agency stated.

The revenue agency explained that the new system would simplify tax compliance procedures, including taxpayer registration, filing of returns, and payment processes.

According to the NRS, the framework is also expected to improve accountability and reduce leakages in tax collection by creating better visibility and tracking of taxpayer information nationwide.

“The initiative will simplify tax compliance processes, including registration, tax filing, and payment procedures. The system will improve transparency by enabling better visibility and tracking of taxpayer records while reducing leakages and improving accountability in tax collection. The framework will also harmonise taxpayer information across all levels of government,” the notice added.

The agency further disclosed that the new Tax ID system would replace the existing Tax Identification Number (TIN) Validation API currently used by Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), financial institutions, and other organisations for taxpayer verification.

Continue Reading

Trending