Connect with us

Economy

Oil Prices Ease on Russian Refineries Attack Outcomes

Published

on

oil prices fall

By Adedapo Adesanya

Oil prices settled lower on Tuesday as the market weighed the loss of Russian refinery capacity after recent Ukrainian attacks, with Brent crude losing 50 cents to trade at $86.25 a barrel, while the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude fell by 33 cents to close at $81.62 per barrel.

Prices edged lower after Russia’s government ordered companies to cut output in the second quarter to meet a 9 million barrels per day target to comply with pledges to the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies (OPEC+).

Earlier this month, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak said that Russia would cut its oil output and exports by an additional 471,000 barrels per day in the second quarter.

Russia will reduce output by an extra 350,000 barrels per day in April, with exports will be cut from March levels by 121,000 barrels per day. In May, output will be cut by 400,000 barrels per day and exports by another 71,000 barrels per day. In June, all the additional cuts will be from oil output.

The country, among the top three global oil producers and one of the largest exporters of oil products, is also contending with a spate of recent attacks on its oil refineries by Ukraine.

Russian oil refining capacity shut down by the attacks has reached 14 per cent of the country’s total capacity.

Meanwhile, it has also mounted its attacks on Ukrainian energy infrastructure.

Also, a slightly weaker US Dollar offered some support to oil prices.

A weaker greenback typically makes oil cheaper for oil buyers holding other currencies as oil is priced in the Dollar.

Further, rising geopolitical premiums as the Israel-Gaza conflict continues were also set to sustain price levels. Iran-backed Houthi militants on Tuesday said they had mounted six attacks on ships in the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea over the past 72 hours.

Reuters reported that the OPEC+ is unlikely to make any oil output policy changes until a full ministerial gathering in June.

According to sources, it was said that the 22-nation group is not expected to make any policy recommendations ahead of next week’s gathering of ministers.

According to the American Petroleum Institute (API) figures on Tuesday, US crude stocks rose by 9.3 million barrels in the week ended March 22.

Official government data from the Energy Information Administration (EIA) will be published later on Wednesday.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Economy

Nigeria’s Oil Exploration Declines 41.7% as Rig Counts Falls to 12 in April

Published

on

rig count

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigeria’s oil exploration and drilling activities declined by 41.7 per cent in April 2026, following reduced upstream operations and investment activities.

According to the May 2026 Monthly Oil Market Report (MOMR) of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Nigeria’s rig count, a major indicator of upstream oil and gas activities, dropped to 12 in April 2026 from 17 recorded in March 2026.

The decline came amid persistent upstream investment and operational challenges, according to the latest monthly report released by OPEC.

Earlier data contained in the May 2026 edition of the MOMR also showed that Nigeria’s average rig count declined to 13 in 2025 from 15 recorded in 2024, indicating reduced exploration and drilling activities in the upstream petroleum sector.

The report showed that Nigeria’s rig count fell by five rigs month-on-month, from 17 rigs in March 2026 to 12 rigs in April 2026.

Rig count is widely regarded in the petroleum industry as a key indicator of exploration, field development and investment activities.

The decline comes despite ongoing efforts by the Nigerian government and industry operators to raise crude oil production, boost reserves and attract fresh upstream investments under the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA)

Nigeria’s performance contrasted with the broader African trend, where total rig count increased marginally from 42 in March 2026 to 48 in April 2026.

However, Nigeria accounted for a significant share of the continent’s decline in operational rigs during the period.

Within OPEC, Nigeria remained behind major producers such as Saudi Arabia, which recorded 265 rigs in April 2026, the United Arab Emirates with 66 rigs, and Iraq with 19 rigs.

The development also comes at a time when Nigeria is struggling to meet its crude oil production quota allocated by OPEC consistently.

Continue Reading

Economy

Nigeria’s Central Bank Holds Rate at 26.50% Despite Heightened Disruptions

Published

on

CBN MPC meeting May 20

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has retained the headline interest rate, the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR), at 26.50 per cent.

This was disclosed by the Governor of Nigeria’s central bank, Mr Yemi Cardoso, on Wednesday, after the conclusion of the MPC meeting. He noted that the decision was hinged on Nigeria being largely insulated from external shocks relating to developments in the Middle East.

He also acknowledged that inflation and exchange rate stability were put into consideration during the two-day meeting.

The committee reduced the benchmark interest rate by 50 basis points from 27.0 per cent to 26.5 per cent at its 304th MPC gathering in February.

Nigeria’s inflation rose to 15.69 per cent in April 2026, affected by the fallout from the Iran war, which continued to impact the global economy. Noting that year-on-year, the figures show a moderation rather than worry.

The headline inflation rate for April on a month-on-month basis was 2.13 per cent, while the food inflation rate in the review month was 16.06 per cent on a year-on-year basis.

Mr Cardoso noted that the Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) was also retained at 45 per cent for commercial Banks, 16 per cent for Merchant Banks, and 75 per cent for non-TSA public sector deposits.

He added that the Standing Facilities Corridor was also held flat at +50 / -450 basis points around the MPR.

Continue Reading

Economy

World Bank’s MIGA Targets $6.4bn Annual Guarantees for Africa

Published

on

World Bank Blacklists

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), a World Bank financer, is ramping up efforts to unlock private capital for Africa, with plans to more than double its annual guarantee issuance on the continent to $6.4 billion over the next three and a half years.

The move is expected to catalyse as much as $23 billion in private sector investment across key sectors, including energy infrastructure, food security, trade finance, digital connectivity and sovereign debt restructuring.

The expansion underscores a growing shift among development finance institutions toward deploying guarantees as a primary tool for de-risking investments in frontier markets and attracting private capital flows into economies often viewed as high-risk.

MIGA’s Managing Director, Mr Tsutomu Yamamoto, said the scaled-up programme would play a critical role in mobilising investment, creating jobs and strengthening economic resilience across African countries.

He noted that the agency’s instruments, ranging from political risk insurance to credit enhancement, debt swaps and portfolio guarantees, are designed to reduce investor exposure and improve project bankability.

The guarantee push will continue to focus on strategic sectors such as power grids, local banking systems, agriculture and food supply chains, as well as digital infrastructure, all of which are seen as foundational to long-term economic growth across the continent.

Although the agency did not disclose specific projects in its pipeline, it said the expansion reflects rising demand for risk-sharing mechanisms in emerging markets, particularly as governments grapple with tight fiscal conditions and limited access to affordable financing.

The development follows a broader restructuring within the World Bank Group nearly two years ago, which consolidated guarantee operations to scale up private sector investment mobilisation globally.

MIGA has already played a role in pioneering debt swap transactions in the Ivory Coast and Angola, while also supporting food security initiatives in Kenya and backing more than 100 energy projects across emerging markets. Its guarantees have further underpinned lending operations in countries such as Ghana and Zambia, helping to stabilise financial systems and sustain credit flows.

The agency’s latest push reflects a wider evolution in development finance strategy, where guarantees are increasingly used to stretch limited public funds and crowd in private investors. By lowering perceived risks, these instruments make large-scale infrastructure and development projects more attractive to commercial financiers who would otherwise stay on the sidelines.

This shift is gaining urgency as many advanced economies scale back aid budgets while simultaneously seeking stronger economic ties and resource access in Africa.

In response, multilateral lenders are leaning more heavily on innovative financial tools like guarantees to bridge funding gaps and sustain development momentum.

MIGA’s broader ambition is to help lift the World Bank Group’s global guarantee issuance to $20 billion annually by 2030, positioning guarantees as a central pillar in financing sustainable development across emerging markets.

Continue Reading

Trending