Connect with us

General

Amosun Working Against Buhari in Ogun–APC

Published

on

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Governor Ibikunke Amosun of Ogun State has been accused of working against the success of President Muhammadu Buhari in this weekend’s presidential and National Assembly elections.

This allegation was made by the Ogun State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

In a statement signed on Thursday by the Publicity Secretary of Ogun State APC Caretaker Committee, Mr Tunde Oladunjoye, the ruling party said Mr Amosun was said to be working to reduce the margin of the victory of President Buhari In Ogun East and Ogun West Senatorial Districts of the state in a vainglorious attempt to send a wrong signal of his popularity in Ogun State and undermine the Vice President, Mr Yemi Osinbajo, who hails from the state.

“We have at our disposal, confirmed intelligence reports that Governor Amosun has been holding nocturnal and clandestine meetings in the last three weeks with a failed governorship Aspirant of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), whose father is a renowned betting agent.

“The purpose of the meetings is to work against APC at the Presidential and National Assembly elections. The objective, for which the governor distributed the sum of N200,000 per polling booth last week, before the postponed elections, was to ensure that President Buhari loses the election or to drastically reduce the margin of his victory in the two Senatorial districts, especially in Ogun East, where the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, hails from,” the statement said.

Mr Oladunjoye said “it would be recalled that the failed governorship aspirant recently, without any justification whatsoever, took to the mass media to disparage the Vice President, blaming him for his woes arising from the loss of the PDP’s governorship ticket, only for the same aspirant to turn around few days after to contradict himself with a boast that INEC would soon name him as his party’s candidate”.

“It was therefore acting to their planned script when the Chairman of Abeokuta North-West Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Monsuru Shorunke, led thugs to disrupt the distribution of “TraderMoni” in Abeokuta on Tuesday, an action the Chairman was widely quoted in the media as having been ordered by Governor Amosun.

“In the same vein, Governor Amosun is insisting on the posting away of some corp members in Ogun West Senatorial District where he is sponsoring an APM candidate against his former Chief of Staff, Chief Olu Odebiyi, who is of the APC.

“We are using this medium to ask the Presidency to tame Governor Amosun before he sets Ogun State on fire over his egoistic and moribund self-preserving ambition,” Mr Oladunjoye said in the statement.

Modupe Gbadeyanka is a fast-rising journalist with Business Post Nigeria. Her passion for journalism is amazing. She is willing to learn more with a view to becoming one of the best pen-pushers in Nigeria. Her role models are the duo of CNN's Richard Quest and Christiane Amanpour.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Government to Help 150,000 Young Nigerians With N110bn

Published

on

young nigerians

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Federal Ministry of Youth Development has expressed its readiness to support 150,000 young Nigerians with N110 billion.

The Director-General of the National Orientation Agency (NOA), Mr Lanre Issa-Onilu, disclosed this on Thursday in Kano at the launch of the five nationwide enlightenment campaigns on government policies, national values and identities, security awareness and disaster preparedness.

He said over 600,000 students have so far benefited from the N59 million disbursed under the Nigeria Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) scheme.

The director general, who was represented by Mr Williams Dogo, Director, Legal Services of the agency, said that NELFUND was available to all qualified Nigerians in public tertiary institutions, noting that the sensitisation programme, with the theme Nationwide Sensitisation on Five Thematic Areas, was designed to deepen citizens’ knowledge of government initiatives.

The NOA boss explained that the campaign would highlight the presidential directive on flood mitigation, which provided for the release of N3 billion to each state in 2024 for drainage clearance and relocation of vulnerable communities.

He said that 700 schools had been renovated nationwide as an intervention to improve learning facilities in rural areas, stating that more than 15,000 new security personnel had been deployed nationwide to address diverse security challenges.

“It is our intention to carry out security awareness campaigns reaching no fewer than three million Nigerians in each state through media engagements, advocacy visits to traditional and religious leaders, rallies at markets and motor parks, as well as town hall meetings,” he said.

On national values, he said that reorientation campaign would focus on patriotism, unity and campaigns against extreme graduation practices that contradict cultural norms, adding that the campaign would also familiarise Nigerians with the current national anthem, which was changed by President Bola Tinubu.

Continue Reading

General

Immigration Raises 5-Year Passport Fee to N100,000, 10 Years to N200,000

Published

on

unclaimed passports

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Nigerians will have to cough out more money to obtain their international passports because the Nigeria Immigration Service has increased the fees.

In a statement signed on Thursday by the Public Relations Officer of the agency, ACI AS Akinlabi, it was disclosed that the new fees would take effect from Monday, September 1, 2025.

It was disclosed that the 32-page passport with a validity of five years will now to for N100,000 and the 64-page 10-year passport is now N200,000.

The immigration explained that the upward review of the prices was “to uphold the quality and integrity of the Nigerian passport.”

“The review which only affect passport application fees made in Nigeria,” it stressed, adding that, “Nigerian passport application fees made by Nigerians in the Diaspora remain unchanged at $150 for 32-page with 5-year validity and $230 for 64-page with 10-year validity.”

“The service reiterates its commitment to balancing quality service delivery with the need to ensure Passport services are accessible to all Nigerians,” the statement concluded.

Continue Reading

General

PICTURES: Tinubu Returns to Nigeria After Japan, Brazil Trips

Published

on

tinubu returns japan brazil trips

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

President Bola Tinubu on Thursday returned to Nigeria after travelling to Japan and Brazil for official functions.

He landed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja in the early hours of today almost two weeks after he left the country through same route.

He was received by senior government officials, including the Minister of the FCT, Mr Nyesom Wike; the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mr Nuhu Ribadu; the Governor of Kaduna State, Mr Uba Sani; the Governor of Imo State, Mr Hope Uzodinma; and the Deputy Senate President, Mr Barau Jibrin; among others.

Before heading to Japan for the Ninth Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD9) in Yokohama from August 20 to 22, the President, according to a statement by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Mr Bayo Onanuga, he had a stopover in Dubai.

Mr Tinubu precisely travelled out of Nigeria on Thursday, August 14, 2024, for the two-nation trip to Japan and Brazil.

After leaving Japan, he zoomed to Brazil to woo investors and held talks with the Brazilian leader, Mr Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

He was able to convince the country’s petroleum firm, Petrobras, to return to Nigeria after it left a few years ago. He also helped to enable a direct flight from Brazil to Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Trending