Connect with us

General

House of Reps to Reintroduce Electoral Bill Amendment Wednesday

Published

on

Reintroduce Electoral Bill

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, on Tuesday said the controversial electoral bill would be reintroduced this week for amendment.

The bill was passed last year and forwarded to President Muhammadu Buhari for assent, but he declined to sign it because of the inclusion of direct primary as the only mode of electing candidates to vie for office by political parties.

In an interview with a national television, which was monitored by Business Post, the President said if the part is removed from the bill, he will not hesitate to sign it into law as political parties should be given options to choose how they want to run their affairs.

The National Assembly, which received the rejected electoral bill before going for a recess last month, have the option of passing the bill into law by voting a two-third majority in each chamber or removing the controversial section of the bill and resend to the President for assent.

At the resumption of plenary at the lower arm of the parliament today, Mr Gbajabiamila said the bill will be reintroduced on Wednesday and forwarded to Mr Buhari after passage.

However, he maintained that the inclusion of the direct primary was to deepen democracy in the country as it would allow political parties to have an updated register of members.

“I remain convinced that the proposal for direct primary elections is valuable for building accountability in our political system. But we must not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

“Therefore, the House will reintroduce the amendment this week and we will work quickly to address the mitigating concerns, pass the Bill and send it back to President Muhammadu Buhari for assent,” the Speaker said in his welcome message to his colleagues.

However, he lamented that, “It is disappointing that the failure of political parties to adequately document their membership is being used to not give the Nigerian people the power to fully participate in our nation’s politics.

“If nothing else, including a direct primary mandate in the law, would have forced political parties to properly register their members within the shortest possible time. This would have been the singular most significant reform of our political party system in a generation.”

“Now let it be clear to all that our only objective in introducing that provision was to strengthen the foundations of our democracy so that it works for all of our nation’s people,” he explained.

According to the lawmaker, “The process by which political parties nominate candidates for election is essential, perhaps even just as important as the general election itself.”

“A primary nomination process that deprives the majority of party members of the opportunity to choose who represents them in the general elections is susceptible to bad outcomes and ought to be fixed,” he submitted.

“Some argued that political parties do not have proper registers of their members, which was a reason to reject the direct primary option. This is an appalling admission that political parties in the country do not have credible and up to date registers of their members.

“We are left to question how those parties have thus far managed their affairs, including conducting congresses and primary elections, whether by direct or indirect means.

“Besides, it can be inferred that the failure to maintain a proper register of members violates the spirit of the constitution, as it makes it impossible for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to enforce the constitutional requirement for political parties to ensure that their membership reflects the federal character of Nigeria,” he stated.

Modupe Gbadeyanka is a fast-rising journalist with Business Post Nigeria. Her passion for journalism is amazing. She is willing to learn more with a view to becoming one of the best pen-pushers in Nigeria. Her role models are the duo of CNN's Richard Quest and Christiane Amanpour.

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Nigeria’s New Alphanumeric Postcode System to Launch October 1

Published

on

Alphanumeric Postcode System

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Mr Bosun Tijani, has announced that Nigeria will launch a new alphanumeric postcode system on October 1, 2026, with every home expected to have a unique postcode.

Mr Tijani disclosed the development in a video post on X, describing the new system as a more precise and digitally oriented approach to addressing locations across the country.

He said the initiative would mark a significant shift in Nigeria’s postal addressing system by assigning unique postcodes to individual homes.

The initiative marks a major step in Nigeria’s digital transformation agenda. By replacing the outdated numeric-only system, the alphanumeric codes provide a more flexible and scalable framework that can accommodate the country’s rapid urban growth and diverse settlement patterns.

For emphasis, an alphanumeric postcode system is a postal indexing system that uses a combination of both letters (alpha) and numbers (numeric), along with spaces or punctuation, to identify specific geographic locations, streets, or individual buildings for mail delivery.

​Unlike purely numeric postcode systems (such as the 5-digit US ZIP Code or 5-digit codes used in some European countries), alphanumeric codes offer a much higher number of unique combinations using fewer total characters. This flexibility allows postal authorities to pinpoint locations with incredible precision, often down to a single side of a street or a specific large building.

“On October 1st 2026 Nigeria’s new Alphanumeric Postcode System goes live,” Mr Tijani said.

“For the first time, every home will be assigned a unique postcode that’s simple, precise and built for a digital future,” he added.

The minister urged Nigerians to prepare to generate their individual postcodes ahead of the launch.

The new system is expected to strengthen Nigeria’s digital addressing infrastructure and improve the identification and location of homes and properties for postal and other location-based services.

The initiative is being implemented in collaboration with the Nigerian Postal Service (NIPOST) as part of broader efforts to modernise the country’s addressing and digital infrastructure.

Continue Reading

General

Tinubu Directs Finance Minister to Give Reforms Scorecard to Nigerians

Published

on

Tinubu's Portrait

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mr Taiwo Oyedele, has been directed to give an account to Nigerians on how the current government has fared since its inception on May 29, 2023.

This directive was given by President Bola Tinubu in a message posted on his verified social media handles on Wednesday.

This coincides with the commencement of campaigns for the 2027 presidential election scheduled for January 16.

According to the timetable of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), candidates seeking to become the country’s president are eligible to kick off their campaigns from today, Wednesday, August 19, 2026.

In his message today, Mr Tinubu said, “When we began this journey of reform in 2023, I promised that the difficult decisions we were making would serve the purpose of building an economy that works better for you and a country that is stronger for our children.

“Today, your government presents The Reforms Scorecard. It sets out what our reforms have achieved, what they have cost us, and the greater costs and harms we have prevented by acting when we did.

“I have therefore directed the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, to give an account to Nigerians, to explain the numbers, the choices we have made, the progress recorded, and the work that remains.

“You deserve to see the numbers. You deserve to know what has changed and what these reforms mean for you, your family, your business and our country.

“This is your government. This is your country. This is our account to you.”

Shortly after he took the oath of office over three years ago, President Tinubu declared that subsidies on petroleum products were gone. He later approved foreign exchange (FX) reforms, which devalued the Nigerian Naira, shooting from about N800 per Dollar to nearly N2,000 per Dollar. However, it is currently slightly above N1,340 per Dollar in the official market.

Continue Reading

General

NNPC, Agip Intensify Efforts to Develop 500m-Barrel Deepwater Assets

Published

on

nnpc agip

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited and the Nigerian Agip Exploration (NAE) Limited are advancing discussions on the development of deepwater assets estimated to hold 500 million barrels of oil reserves.

The development followed a meeting between the chief executive of the state oil company, Mr Bayo Ojulari, and Agip’s Vice Chairman and Managing Director, Mr Maurizio Pinna, in Abuja.

The talks focused on ongoing work on deepwater acreage jointly held by NNPC, NAE and Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCo) as well as plans to bring the associated resources into production.

According to NNPC, the acreage comprises the Zabazaba and Etan deepwater fields, with estimated reserves of about 500 million barrels.

The fields are located in Nigeria’s deepwater terrain and are considered significant to the country’s efforts to expand its upstream oil production base, particularly as operators seek to advance projects capable of delivering additional barrels over the medium to long term.

While details of the expected production timeline were not disclosed, the meeting underscores renewed industry focus on unlocking Nigeria’s deepwater resources and growing crude oil production.

The acreage comprises licences converted from OPL 245 and is operated by NAE in partnership with NNPC Limited and SNEPCo.

Mr Ojulari and Mr Pinna also reviewed the work currently underway on the assets and the expected production outlook, with the discussions centred on advancing deepwater development.

The engagement comes amid renewed efforts to attract investment into Nigeria’s offshore petroleum resources and increase national oil production.

Continue Reading