Connect with us

General

Jangebe Abduction: Why We Can’t Attack Terrorists—Buhari

Published

on

Buhari confused

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The abduction of secondary schoolgirls in Jangebe, Zamfara State on Friday has not gone down well with President Muhammadu Buhari, who has sent out a strong warning to the terrorists, who carried out this act as well as their sponsors.

Over 300 students of Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, were kidnapped in the wee hours of today. It occurred barely two weeks after some gunmen went away with some students and teachers of a government secondary school in Niger State.

Reacting to Friday’s incident, Mr Buhari described it as “inhumane and totally unacceptable,” emphasising that his “administration will not succumb to blackmail by bandits who target innocent school students in the expectations of huge ransom payments.”

ALSO READ  Nigeria: When Chaos Becomes the Springboard for the Change We Need

In the statement issued by the presidency, Mr Buhari maintained that “no criminal group can be too strong to be defeated by the government,” adding that “the only thing standing between our security forces and the bandits are the rules of engagement.”

“Let them not entertain any illusions that they are more powerful than the government. They shouldn’t mistake our restraint for the humanitarian goals of protecting innocent lives as a weakness or a sign of fear or irresolution,” he further said.

ALSO READ  Security Operatives Arrest Dino Melaye at Abuja Airport

The President urged state governments “to review their policy of rewarding bandits with money and vehicles, warning that the policy might boomerang disastrously.”

He also advised states and local governments to be more proactive by improving security around schools and their surroundings.

He noted that the federal government has the “capacity to deploy massive force against the bandits in the villages where they operate, but our limitation is the fear of heavy casualties of innocent villagers and hostages who might be used as human shields by the bandits,” stressing that “our primary objective is to get the hostages safe, alive and unharmed.”

ALSO READ  Lagos Clamours for Synergy at Workplaces

President Buhari noted that “a hostage crisis is a complex situation that requires maximum patience in order to protect the victims from physical harm or even brutal death at the hands of their captors.”

Aduragbemi Omiyale is a journalist with Business Post Nigeria, who has passion for news writing. In her leisure time, she loves to read.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

General

JUST IN: IGP Recommends Immediate Suspension of Abba Kyari

Published

on

Suspension of Abba Kyari

By Dipo Olowookere

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr Usman Alkali Baba, has commended the immediate suspension of Abba Kyari, leader of the IGP’s Intelligence Response Team (IRT).

Mr Kyari, a celebrated crime buster, is a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP). He was allegedly indicted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) of the United States of America (USA) in a wire fraud involving an Instagram star, Mr Abbas Olorunwa Hushpuppi, and others.

In court documents from the US released last week, Hushpuppi alleged that he bribed the Nigerian cop to detain a fellow fraudster, Mr Vincent Chibuzor, when they had disagreements over a fraud worth $1.1 million.

Messages between Hushpuppi and Mr Kyari showed that the latter carried out the bidding of the former.

ALSO READ  NLC Not Different from Bandits—Kaduna Government

But Mr Kyari, while reacting to the allegation in a Facebook post, claimed he was not involved in any fraud and said he only responded to a distress call from Hushpuppi, which he later found out to be false.

After pressure from different quarters, the IGP ordered a probe into the matter last Thursday, assuring members of the public of “its commitment to the pursuit of justice and the strengthening of its professional relationship with the FBI and other international partners.”

On Saturday, the nation’s police chief in a letter to the Police Service Commission (PSC), recommended the immediate suspension of Mr Kyari to allow proper investigation into the issue.

ALSO READ  BEDC Cries Over Rising Vandalism in Franchise States

In a statement from the police with Ref No. CZ.5300/FPRD/FHQ/ABJ/VOL.4/26, it was disclosed that, “The IGP further noted that the suspension is also expected to create an enabling environment for the NPF Special Investigation Panel to carry out its investigations into the weighty allegations against DCP Abba Kyari without interference. The suspension is without prejudice to the constitutional presumption of innocence in favour of the officer.

“The Special Investigation Panel (SIP), comprising four Senior Police Officers, is headed by DIG Joseph Egbunike, the Deputy Inspector General of Police in-charge of the Force Criminal Investigations Department (FCID).

“The SIP, inter alia, is to undertake a detailed review of all the allegations against DCP Abba Kyari by the US Government as contained in relevant documents that have been availed the NPF by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

ALSO READ  Buhari Furious Over Killing of Kinsmen by Bandits

“The SIP is also to obtain a detailed representation of DCP Abba Kyari to all the allegations levelled against him, conduct further investigations as it deems fit, and submit recommendations to guide further actions by the Force leadership on the matter.

“Meanwhile, the IGP has reaffirmed the commitment of the Force to the Rule of Law and assured the public of the sanctity of the probe as well as the absolute respect for the rights and privileges of the officer throughout the period of the investigations.”

Continue Reading

General

East-West Road Protest Affecting Petrol Supply—IPMAN

Published

on

East-West Road

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Independent Petroleum Markers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) has charged the federal government to heed to the demands of youths who are protesting the deplorable state of the Eleme section of the East-West road, warning that it could disrupt the oil and gas sector of the country.

Since Monday, youths in Rivers State have blocked the Eleme axis of the East-West Road with petrol trucks and other articulated vehicles, demanding the immediate reconstruction of the deplorable sections of the road by the federal government.

The youths maintained that an important road like the Eleme section of East-West road, which plays host to several multi-million Dollars investments, including the oil and gas free zone, the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Port Harcourt Refinery, Intels, Indorama Eleme Petrochemicals Limited, among a host of others, should not be neglected.

ALSO READ  11.8 Million Nigerian Households Get Satellite TV Signal

Warning the central government, the Chairman of IPMAN in Rivers State, Mr Joseph Obele, lamented that petrol tankers have not been able to load products at the Port Harcourt refinery since the protest began five days ago.

“The protest is affecting us in the petroleum sector. Since Monday, we have not been able to load.

“Yes the road is very bad, we are calling on all the relevant authorities to mobilized contractors to commenced construction work on the road because the youths have said they won’t leave the road until they see construction equipment on site,” he said.

ALSO READ  BEDC Cries Over Rising Vandalism in Franchise States

Reports show that the road leading to the Port Harcourt Refining Company and the Petroleum Products Marketing Company (PPMC) has been turned to a football pitch by Rivers State youths, due to the protest, meaning products can’t move out.

Leader of the protest and President of Ogoni Youth Federation, Mr Lergbosi Yamaabana, has vowed that the protest will continue until tractors and caterpillars are seen on site.

Mr Yamaabana said the aim is to cripple economic activities, especially multi-million dollars investments in the area, accusing the government of only listening to forceful agitation.

ALSO READ  Buhari Furious Over Killing of Kinsmen by Bandits

“We are still here like we promised, we are not leaving here until the Federal government mobilizes contractors handling the road to the site.

“In view of reconstructing the entire stretch of the road together with all the four bridges that have been demanded, that is our resolve.

“I want to address the government at this point that the more they keep quiet, the more we are strong. If they know what is good for them they should mobilize contractors to site,” the agitator said.

Continue Reading

General

FG Denies Knowledge of $875m US Ammunition Deal

Published

on

$875m US Ammunition Deal

By Adedapo Adesanya

The federal government has denied knowledge about an $875 million ammunition deal with the United States which is being purportedly blocked by some lawmakers in that country.

This was disclosed by the Minister of Information and Culture, Mr Lai Mohammed, who described the purported ammunition deal reported in some sections of the media as fake news.

While commenting on the issue with some newsmen on Friday, the Minister said there was no contract of such nature and sum between Nigeria and the US

ALSO READ  Boko Haram Gives FG Conditions To Free More Chibok Girls

“There is no contract of arms between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the United States of America today apart from the 12 Super Tucano Attack Helicopters of which six had been delivered.

“We are quite satisfied with the progress and cooperation that we received from the government of the US on this issue.

“As a matter of fact, six of the Tucano helicopter will be launched on August 3, this year.

ALSO READ  Buhari Sends 1000 Troops to Battle Terrorists in Zamfara

“We are not aware of the so-called $875 million arms contract or some helicopters which they said some lawmakers in the US are trying to persuade the president of the US not to honour

“The relationship between Nigeria and the US is smooth and waxing stronger,” he said.

The reaction of Mr Mohammed followed reports that influential US lawmakers were masterminding a hold on a proposed sale of ammunition and attack helicopters to Nigeria over allegations of human rights abuses and anti-democratic actions of the present administration.

ALSO READ  Why Power Sector Privatisation in Nigeria has Failed—Egbin Power Chairman

The report listed the blocked proposed sale to include 12 AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters accompanied by defence systems, 28 helicopter engines produced by GE Aviation and 14 military-grade aircraft navigation systems made by Honeywell.

But the Minister explained that apart from the 12 AH-I-Cobra attack helicopters of which Nigeria has taken delivery of six, he said he was not aware of any contract as being speculated.

Continue Reading

Like Our Facebook Page

Latest News on Business Post

Trending

%d bloggers like this: