General
Lagos to Commission Nigeria’s First DNA Forensic Lab
By Dipo Olowookere
Nigeria’s first ever high-powered DNA Forensic Laboratory has been completed by the Lagos State government after the state Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode, approved its construction last year.
Lagos Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Adeniji Kazeem, speaking at a press briefing held at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre in Alausa, Ikeja, to announce activities lined up by the government to commemorate the 2017 United Nations International Day of Peace, disclosed that skeletal work had already commenced in the lab known as the Lagos State DNA Forensics Centre (LSDFC), and that it would be formerly commissioned in coming weeks.
He said the DNA forensic lab was part of the criminal justice sector reforms designed to solve crime through technology and fulfil an unmet need for DNA profiling which is a unique forensic technique that is now being used all over the world.
Mr Kazeem, who was represented at the briefing by the state’s Solicitor General and Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Justice, Mrs Funlola Odunlami, noted that, “The DNA forensic centre just opened this month.
“We are yet to commission it but it has been opened and it is a DNA crime forensic lab and at the same time, it is going to deal with other DNA matters like paternity issue. What we are doing now is skeletal work which we started this month.”
He recalled that since 2007, the state government through the Citizens’ Mediation Centre (CMC), an agency under the Ministry of Justice, commenced collaborations with the United Nations Information Office to mark the International Day of Peace as an annual event to propagate the ethos of peaceful co-existence among residents in the State, thereby educating and sensitizing the public on the need for peaceful co-existence and respect for human dignity to engender socio-economic growth.
“The Lagos State government recognizes the fact that the state is the commercial nerve centre of the sub-Saharan Africa where all races converge for various purposes such as business, hospitality, tourism among others, and has put in place mechanisms that will foster development and promote economic activities in the state by instituting agencies that will attend to matters relating to Land Grabbers, Special Task Force, donation of police vehicles for security, introduction of DNA Forensic laboratory to archive blood samples of criminals, among others.
“All these actions are geared toward enhancing peace in Lagos State,” Mr Kazeem said.
Speaking on activities to mark the 2017 edition of the day tagged “Together For Peace: Respect, Safety and Dignity For All,” the Commissioner said on September 18, there would be a Walk for Peace/Legal Clinic on Ikorodu Road precisely from Funsho Williams Avenue through Ojuelegba to Yaba, while on September 19, a second Walk for Peace/Legal Clinic will hold at Jubilee Under-bridge in Ajah through Ibeju Lekki Expressway and back to the bridge.
On the same day, Mr Kazeem said the CMC will hold a Legal Clinic at both venues where free legal services and mediation services will be rendered to residents of the State, while on September 21, the 18th Stakeholders’ Conference and Book Launch will hold at the Adeyemi Bero Auditorium in Alausa to mark the day.
Every year, September 21 is observed as the International Day of Peace as declared by the General Assembly of United Nations as a day devoted to strengthening ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples.
General
Nasarawa Orders Immediate Shutdown of Mining Activities in Endo Community
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nasarawa State government has ordered the immediate suspension of mining activities at Endo community in Udege, directing Lideal Mining Company to stop operations and vacate the site without delay.
The government also ordered an immediate halt to the movement of raw minerals from the location, tightening restrictions around the disputed mining area.
The latest intervention by the state government signals a tougher stance on mining operations considered capable of threatening public order or operating outside established procedures.
Announcing the decision in Lafia, the state capital, the Commissioner for Environment and Natural Resources, Mrs Margaret Elayo, said the action followed a series of consultations, stakeholder engagements and security assessments linked to activities within the affected mining cadastral unit.
She said the directive was issued in the public interest as part of efforts to maintain order, protect host communities and strengthen regulatory compliance in the state’s mining sector.
According to the commissioner, the company has been instructed to begin the immediate withdrawal of its mining equipment, heavy machinery, trucks, operational facilities and personnel from the site.
Mrs Elayo said the move aligns with the administration of Governor Abdullahi Sule, which has repeatedly pledged to enforce lawful mining practices, preserve peace in mining communities and build investor confidence through transparent regulatory processes.
She stressed that the government’s decision forms part of a broader plan to reposition the mining sector and ensure that mineral development does not undermine security, environmental standards or community stability.
To enforce compliance, the state government has directed the deployment of security personnel to the affected mining site to prevent unauthorised activities and ensure full adherence to the suspension order.
Nasarawa remains one of Nigeria’s key solid minerals states, attracting growing interest from mining investors because it contains lithium, tin, columbite and other strategic minerals.
However, increased mining activity has also heightened concerns around regulation, community disputes, environmental protection and security management.
General
EFCC Arrests Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The recently-convicted former Minister of Power, Mr Saleh Mamman, has been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Chairman of the EFCC, Mr Ola Olukoyede, during a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday, said the former senior government official was apprehended this afternoon along with two others accused of shielding him.
Earlier this month, Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja convicted Mr Mamman for N33.8 billion fraud after he was found guilty of a 12-count charge brought against him by the EFCC. He was sentenced to 75 years in prison, though he was not present in court on the day of his sentencing.
Speaking with journalists today, Mr Olukoyede said the convict was arrested at 3:30 am on Tuesday in a house in Kano, where he was allegedly being protected.
“Ladies and gentlemen, you will recall that sometime in January 2025, we filed charges against the ex-minister of power for allegedly converting over N33 billion – money that was set aside for the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects,” Olukoyede said during a press briefing.
“About 14 to 15 months down the line, specifically on the 7th of this month, we secured convictions on all 12 counts. Because the defendant was not present, the issue of sentencing was shifted. And on the 13th of this month, he was sentenced in absentia.
“Since then, we decided to open our intelligence surveillance to the public, looking for him all over the place. I am happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr Saleh Mamman somewhere in Kano. We have discovered that he was actually being protected all this while,” he said.
General
UK Backs Pan-African Founder Support Programme at London Tech Week
By Adedapo Adesanya
The United Kingdom is deepening efforts to position itself as a preferred global expansion hub for African startups with the launch of the UK–Africa Ecosystem Week, a coordinated support programme to be delivered during London Tech Week.
Powered by the UK–Africa Sandbox and Ventures 54 in partnership with the UK Department for Business and Trade (DBT), the initiative is expected to provide African founders with structured support to navigate business, investment and networking opportunities in the UK market.
The programme is also backed by the UK Nigeria Tech Hub, the UK South Africa Tech Hub, London & Partners and the Mayor of London’s office, signalling growing institutional support for stronger commercial and technology ties between the UK and African innovation ecosystems.
According to the organisers, the initiative introduces a more coordinated approach to participation at London Tech Week, one of the world’s largest annual technology gatherings, which attracts over 100,000 participants across more than 500 events yearly.
Founders participating in the programme will gain access to curated sessions, concierge-style support services, dedicated workspaces, investor engagement opportunities and market entry guidance tailored to African technology companies seeking expansion into the UK.
A flagship UK–Africa Ecosystem Day will also bring together investors, policymakers, ecosystem builders and founders to discuss commercial expansion opportunities and partnerships between both regions.
Founder of Ventures 54 and UK-Africa Sandbox, Mr Anthony William Catt, said the initiative was developed in response to the increasing number of African startups travelling to London Tech Week over the last few years.
He explained that what started as informal networking gatherings under the London Africa Network had evolved into structured programming and has now scaled into a full week of activities aimed at helping founders maximise opportunities available within the UK ecosystem.
“This is about putting the right structure in place, so African founders have a dedicated support track to get the most out of the week and access the best of what the UK has to offer,” he said.
Speaking on the initiative, Acting His Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for Africa, Mr Ben Ainsley, described the UK as a natural destination for ambitious African startups due to its large technology ecosystem, deep venture capital market and access to global talent.
“The UK Government is committed to supporting high-growth international companies succeed in the UK and initiatives like the UK–Africa Sandbox demonstrate our focus on making it easier for African founders to access support and fully engage with the UK’s world-class innovation ecosystem.”
The programme is expected to attract delegations and founders from countries including Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Egypt, Algeria and Ghana.
Organisers added that the initiative would extend beyond London Tech Week through the broader UK–Africa Sandbox platform, which aims to support African founders entering the UK market while also creating pathways for UK startups seeking expansion opportunities across Africa.
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
