Connect with us

General

Meta, NAPTIP Launch Scheme to Help Find Missing Children in Nigeria

Published

on

AMBER Alert missing children

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A programme aimed at helping to find abducted children in Nigeria has been launched by Meta and National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP).

Meta is the parent company of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp. Through this initiative called AMBER Alert, security officials can use these social media platforms to inform people of missing children.

The scheme was unveiled on Wednesday and Meta disclosed that it was designed to increase the chances of finding missing children by putting more people on the lookout for them.

When an AMBER Alert is activated by law enforcement, it will appear on the Facebook and Instagram Feed of users within the designated search area, enabling them to share the information instantly with friends or contact the authorities if they have leads.

AMBER Alert is designed to include important information about the missing child such as a photo description, location of the abduction, and other relevant and available information to aid in immediately identifying the missing child.

How AMBER Alert Works

The decision to declare an AMBER Alert is made by NAPTIP when investigating a suspected abduction case, they must first determine if the case meets their Amber Alert criteria, which include:

  • The abduction is of a child age 17 or younger
  • NAPTIP must have a reasonable belief that there has been an abduction.
  • NAPTIP believes the victim is in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or exploitation.
  • There is enough descriptive information about the victim and suspected abduction for law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert to assist in recovering the child

Once these criteria have been met, NAPTIP will then notify Meta’s Global Security Operations Centre, which operates 24/7, that a verified AMBER Alert is active. Meta will then send the alert to the News Feeds of people located in targeted search areas in Nigeria.

“Already available across 28 countries globally, we are proud to partner with NAPTIP to make AMBER Alert available in Nigeria – the second African country to join this programme.

“When there is a reported case of a missing child, the most valuable thing one can do is share information as quickly as possible. By working with law enforcement in helping to share the right information with the right people, we hope that missing children will be safely reunited with their families faster,” Meta’s Director of Trust and Safety, Emily Vacher.

In emphasising the importance of this launch, Adaora Ikenze, Meta’s Head of Public Policy, Anglophone West Africa, said: “This partnership with NAPTIP is another important milestone in reinforcing our ongoing commitment to Nigeria. We know our apps can be used as a force for good, and the AMBER Alert launch across Instagram and Facebook highlights this.”

The Director General of NAPTIP, Dr Fatima Waziri-Azi, also said, “Today, we are partnering with Meta to launch the AMBER Alert Programme on Facebook and Instagram to help ensure faster response in finding missing children.

“With these alerts, more people can be on the lookout for kids reported missing in their vicinity and report all leads to relevant authorities. NAPTIP cherishes every aspect of the intending collaboration and we are indeed glad to be on board with Meta”.

AMBER Alert Programme launched on Facebook in 2015 and since then has assisted in hundreds of successful child endangerment cases in the US and around the world.

One of such cases happened in 2020 when Amanda Disley and her husband helped rescue 11-year-old Charlotte Moccia of Springfield, Massachusetts, after seeing an AMBER Alert on Facebook. Before that, a four-year-old girl was recovered after Kaytlin Brown saw an AMBER Alert issued on Facebook on her lunch break and quickly took action.

In June 2022, Meta added Instagram to the AMBER Alerts Programme across the world by making it available in 28 additional countries, and now, in Nigeria. As part of the launch of AMBER Alerts in Nigeria, Meta and NAPTIP will be educating users in Nigeria on how to identify AMBER Alerts on their feeds and what to do when they see an alert.

Modupe Gbadeyanka is a fast-rising journalist with Business Post Nigeria. Her passion for journalism is amazing. She is willing to learn more with a view to becoming one of the best pen-pushers in Nigeria. Her role models are the duo of CNN's Richard Quest and Christiane Amanpour.

General

Sanwo-Olu Swears in Ladi Oluwaloni as Ayobo Ipaja LCDA Chairman

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Ladi Oluwaloni

By Dipo Olowookere

The acting chairman of Ayobo Ipaja Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Mr Oladipupo Oluwaloni, popularly known as Ladi, has been sworn-in as the substantive chairman of the council.

He was sworn in on Thursday by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State at a brief ceremony attended by several loyalists of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.

The grassroots politician was appointed as the acting chairman of Ayobo Ipaja LCDA last month by the Governor following the long absence of his boss, Mrs Bola Shobowale.

He served as the deputy chairman of the local council before his elevation following the death of Mrs Shobowale after a protracted illness on March 21, 2025.

At the swearing-in ceremony yesterday, Mr Sanwo-Olu charged Mr Oluwaloni to listen to collaborate closely with the community as he was there to serve them.”

“Together, through unity, we can achieve our vision for a greater Lagos,” the Governor tasked the new chairman, who could not hide his excitement.

In his response, the new council chairman promised to align fully with the T.H.E.M.E.S Plus Agenda of the present administration, promising to prioritize the socioeconomic development of the people and uphold democratic values in service delivery.

Mr Oluwaloni, when he was asked to occupy the position in an acting capacity two weeks ago, said, “This is a great responsibility, and I am fully committed to upholding the trust placed in me.

“My focus will be on ensuring that governance at the grassroots remains effective, responsive, and aligned with the developmental agenda of our great state.”

Continue Reading

General

NEITI Tasks Ojulari, NNPC Board on Reforms, Transparency, Accountability

Published

on

bashir bayo ojulari

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI) has tasked the new chief executive of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, Mr Bayo Ojulari, to strengthen reforms, transparency and accountability.

The Executive Secretary of NEITI, Mr Orji Ogbonnaya Orji, while reacting to Mr Ojulari’s appointment, urged the new leadership to prioritise the timely publication of the company’s financial statements, full disclosure of production data, operational costs, and revenue remittances to help rebuild public trust and enhance Nigeria’s global reputation

President Bola Tinubu had on Wednesday reconstituted the board of the NNPC, removing the chairman, Mr Pius Akinyelure, and the erstwhile CEO, Mr Mele Kyari.

Mr Orji said that Ojulari’s appointment came at a critical time when the ongoing NNPC Limited reforms required renewed commitment, strategic leadership, and a firm dedication to transparency, accountability and corporate governance.

“NEITI recognised that NNPC, as Nigeria’s foremost national energy company, plays a crucial role in shaping the future of the country’s oil and gas sector.

“As a member of the NEITI National Stakeholders’ Working Group (NSWG) and a key institution in Nigeria’s extractive industry, NNPC Ltd. is responsible to ensure that the reforms initiated under the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) are strengthened, broadened, and sustained in the public interest.

“As a supporting company of the global Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI), NNPC Ltd. must demonstrate unwavering commitment to openness, systematic disclosure of critical industry data, responsible resource management and corporate governance best practices,” he said.

He urged the new leadership to prioritise timely publication of NNPC’s financial statements, full disclosure of production data, operational costs, and revenue remittances to help rebuild public trust and enhance Nigeria’s global reputation.

According to him, transparency in the management of oil and gas revenues remains critical to national development and ongoing poverty reduction efforts.

He said the EITI process provided a tested framework for ensuring that revenues from natural resources were prudently managed, fully accounted for, and efficiently deployed to address Nigeria’s development needs.

“We look forward to working closely with the new GCEO and his team in deepening the NEITI-EITI process in Nigeria and ensuring that NNPC Ltd. continues to align with international best practices in corporate governance and financial transparency.

“NEITI also congratulates the newly reconstituted NNPC Ltd. Board and charges them to provide forward-looking strategic direction to fast-track the ongoing transformation of NNPC Ltd. in line with the PIA.

“The Board’s role in ensuring that NNPCL remains accountable to its shareholders—the Nigerian people—is crucial to the long-term sustainability of the company and the industry at large.”

Mr Orji lauded Mr Kyari and his team for their dedication, hard work, mutual respect, patience, and collaboration with NEITI over the past six years.

“His tenure was marked by significant engagements with NEITI in advancing corporate transparency, public disclosures, and aligning NNPC Ltd. with the global EITI framework,” he said.

Continue Reading

General

Petition to Recall Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan Fails

Published

on

Akpoti-Uduaghan homecoming

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said the petition to recall the Senator representing Kogi Central, Mrs Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, did not meet the requirements.

In a statement on Thursday, the electoral commission said the petition did not meet the requirements of the constitution.

“The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended),” INEC wrote on its X handle.

INEC cited Section 69(a) of the Constitution, which stipulates that a petition to recall a senator needs the signatures of more than one-half of the registered voters in the lawmaker’s constituency.

“The total number of registered voters in the Kogi Central Senatorial District is 474,554. More than one-half of this figure (i.e. 50%+1) is 237,277+1, which is at least 237,278 voters,” the statement issued by INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman, Information & Voter Education Committee, Mr Sam Olumekun read in part.

“Across the 902 Polling Units in 57 Registration Areas and five Local Government Areas that make up the Senatorial District, the Commission ascertained 208,132 signatures/thumbprints from the submission made by the petitioners.”

The development comes some days after the electoral body rejected the petition to recall the embattled lawmaker, citing missing addresses and other issues.

The petitioners later submitted the missing items, and on March 26, the body confirmed that it has received the contact addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of representatives of those who submitted the petition for the recall of the suspended senator.

INEC added that the next step was to scrutinise the list of signatories submitted by the petitioners to ascertain that the petition is signed by more than one half (over 50 per cent) of the registered voters in the constituency.

With this, INEC has concluded that the petition has yet to meet all requirements for the recall of Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan as enshrined in amended 1999 constitution.

Continue Reading

Trending