Connect with us

General

Nigeria on Track to End Open Defecation by 2025—Minister

Published

on

Open Defecation

By Ashemiriogwa Emmanuel

The Minister of Water Resources, Mr Suleiman Adamu, has charged the institutions at the area councils and communities in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) to drive the campaign against open defecation through the provision of adequate resources and awareness.

Mr Adamu made the call during his remarks at the official declaration of a State of Emergency in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in the nation’s capital, Abuja, adding that the country was making steady progress in meeting the objective of ending open defecation among residents by 2025.

He said the objective also focuses on improving and promoting sustainable access to sanitation and hygiene across the territory.

In recent times, and even in the past, Nigeria has had its fair share in the global demographics of open defecation, which has put the nation in the negative limelight.

Efforts to revert the narrative have been snail-paced due to several constraints on policies, funding and implementation.

Meanwhile, the FCT Minister of State, Mrs Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu, disclosed that the FCT population practising open defecation is alarming at 39.4 per cent.

She noted that the establishment of the Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency is one way the administration tackles the menace, adding that the children, youth, women, and the elderly all have essential roles to play in the scourge.

In a statement issued on Tuesday by her Special Assistant on Media, Mrs Austine Elemue, Mrs Aliyu was quoted as saying, “39.4 per cent of the FCT population practises open defecation; this is alarming and unacceptable. To achieve the goal of ending open defecation by 2025, all hands must be on deck in both the formal and informal sectors.

“Community-based organisations, religious and traditional leaders, organised private sector entities, development partners, as well as all government agencies are also expected to work in synergy to fight this menace.”

“Traditional institutions across the territory are expected to galvanise their subjects in this fight. Community and household members are enjoined to cooperate with relevant stakeholders and rise to own this war against open defecation in their respective communities,” she added.

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

TCN Nabs Suspected Vandals of Nkalagu–Abakiliki Line

Published

on

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) said it has arrested suspects vandalising its facilities along the Nkalagu–Abakaliki 132kV single circuit transmission line in Ebonyi State.

Its General Manager for Public Affairs, Mrs Ndidi Mbah, in a statement in Abuja, stated that preliminary investigations at the scene established that structural tower members valued at ‘billions of naira’ were removed and sold to illicit scrap metal dealers.

The TCN said that the suspects were indigenes of the Ezza Umuhuali Community in Ishielu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, stressing that they were apprehended by local youths and members of a vigilante group acting on a tip-off.

“The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) wishes to inform the general public that two suspects were arrested in connection with the vandalism of Towers T15, T16, and T17 along the Nkalagu–Abakaliki 132kV Single Circuit Transmission Line. The arrests were made on May 9, 2026.

“The suspects are both indigenes of the Ezza Umuhuali Community in Ishielu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State. They were apprehended by local youths and members of a vigilante group acting on a tip-off.

“Preliminary investigations at the scene established that structural tower members valued at billions of naira were systematically removed from the affected towers and allegedly sold to illicit scrap metal dealers. Further investigations revealed that the criminal activity had been ongoing from January 2026 until the suspects’ apprehension,” the TCN stated.

The suspects, it explained, were subsequently handed over to the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) at Ishielu Police Station, Ntezi, and have since been formally charged before the Ebonyi State High Court.

It added that while the two principal suspects are currently in custody, investigations are ongoing to identify and apprehend remaining accomplices believed to still be at large.

“TCN strongly condemns this act of economic sabotage, which not only constitutes a grievous assault on national infrastructure but also undermines the stability of electricity supply to Ebonyi State and surrounding communities.

“We commend the vigilance and swift action of the Ezza Umuhuali youths and vigilante group in bringing these suspects to justice. TCN further urges host communities across the country to remain alert and to promptly report any suspicious activity around high-voltage transmission installations to the nearest security agency or TCN office,” the company noted.

Continue Reading

General

Dangote Activates Olokola Deep Seaport Plan

Published

on

Dangote Group

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

Dangote Industries Limited has commenced the initial process towards the execution of the multi‑billion-dollar maritime and industrial infrastructure project in Ogun State.

The company wants to make the Olokola Deep Seaport plan a reality. It will be on over 10,000 hectares in the Olokola Free Trade Zone, spanning the Ogun Waterside Local Government Area of Ogun State, extending eastward to the borders of the Ilaje Local Government in Ondo State along the Atlantic coastline (Gulf of Guinea).

It was gathered that the organisation has received the buy-in of host communities,

who are eager to see the project come to fruition in record time.

The project is a calculated business plan to expand into logistics, maritime infrastructure, and export-led industrialization as the Group inches toward becoming a $100 billion annual revenue business; rank among the top 100 companies globally and evolve from a regional giant into a globally recognized manufacturing and business leader transforming Africa’s industrial landscape within the next five years.

Leading a team of the management of the company to the area, the Managing Director for Infrastructure and Logistics at Dangote Industries Limited, Mr Jamil Abubakar, told the excited community leaders that the project, when completed, would transform the area and place the communities on a global pedestal.

According to him, the deep-sea port is a logistics gateway for an integrated industrial ecosystem that will strengthen Africa’s maritime trade capacity and enhance Africa’s regional commerce and logistics across the continent, with a corresponding positive impact on the whole of Africa’s development process.

It would be used to facilitate export of fertilisers, petrochemicals, and refined petroleum products; support future Liquefied Natural Gas exports and enable import of heavy equipment and industrial inputs.

“The Olokola Port project is a major step in opening up Nigeria’s economic potential, strengthening trade, reducing pressure on existing ports and supporting industrial growth.

“It will create real opportunities for host communities through jobs, business activities and long-term developments across both Ogun and Ondo states. With its strategic location, Olokola would serve as a key gateway for exports and imports, boosting Nigeria’s competitiveness in regional and global trade.

“This project reflects our commitment to building infrastructure that benefits both the people and the economy at large,” he stated.

Continue Reading

General

Nasarawa Orders Immediate Shutdown of Mining Activities in Endo Community

Published

on

Lideal Mining Company

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nasarawa State government has ordered the immediate suspension of mining activities at Endo community in Udege, directing Lideal Mining Company to stop operations and vacate the site without delay.

The government also ordered an immediate halt to the movement of raw minerals from the location, tightening restrictions around the disputed mining area.

The latest intervention by the state government signals a tougher stance on mining operations considered capable of threatening public order or operating outside established procedures.

Announcing the decision in Lafia, the state capital, the Commissioner for Environment and Natural Resources, Mrs Margaret Elayo, said the action followed a series of consultations, stakeholder engagements and security assessments linked to activities within the affected mining cadastral unit.

She said the directive was issued in the public interest as part of efforts to maintain order, protect host communities and strengthen regulatory compliance in the state’s mining sector.

According to the commissioner, the company has been instructed to begin the immediate withdrawal of its mining equipment, heavy machinery, trucks, operational facilities and personnel from the site.

Mrs Elayo said the move aligns with the administration of Governor Abdullahi Sule, which has repeatedly pledged to enforce lawful mining practices, preserve peace in mining communities and build investor confidence through transparent regulatory processes.

She stressed that the government’s decision forms part of a broader plan to reposition the mining sector and ensure that mineral development does not undermine security, environmental standards or community stability.

To enforce compliance, the state government has directed the deployment of security personnel to the affected mining site to prevent unauthorised activities and ensure full adherence to the suspension order.

Nasarawa remains one of Nigeria’s key solid minerals states, attracting growing interest from mining investors because it contains lithium, tin, columbite and other strategic minerals.

However, increased mining activity has also heightened concerns around regulation, community disputes, environmental protection and security management.

Continue Reading

Trending