Connect with us

General

Nigeria, Spain to Explore More Opportunities in Energy Sector

Published

on

energy sector

By Adedapo Adesanya

The governments of Nigeria and Spain have made plans to explore opportunities present in the energy sector to build a more robust relationship between the two countries.

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo speaking on Friday at the Presidential Villa when he received the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Spain, Mr José Manuel Albares, on a courtesy visit, said Spain had been a very good friend of Nigeria.

According to the Vice President, “Aside from the economic connections, it has been the largest importer of our gas and the third-largest importer of crude oil.

“There is every good reason why we should consider that in good times and bad, Spain has remained a good friend. This is a relationship that is not just based on talk, but there is a lot of action.

“I am extremely optimistic that our relationship will become more robust in the months and years to come. Nigeria definitely feels that it has a strong partner and brother in Spain. And I hope that it stays this way and even better.”

The VP said “the future, obviously, is going to be interesting. For the next few years, we are going to be confronted with a challenging world. One of the issues will be energy. Both energy security and energy transition. These are two critical issues.

“There is no question at all that we must make alternative arrangements to assure energy security. And in our case, with the Climate Change agreement, we want to make sure that the transition from fossil fuels and other pollutants is as smooth as much as possible in the interest and development of our people.”

Speaking further, he noted the possibilities for cooperation between Nigeria and Spain, noting that “there are companies in the power sector that are interested in doing business in Nigeria. In our Energy Transition Plan, we have a whole menu of projects in the power sector to show companies that are interested in investing.

“We hope this would interest private companies coming from Spain. I hope that this visit will be one where they will take a look at our energy plan and some of what we are trying to do, not just the short-term but the long-term issues that we are trying to resolve.”

On his part, Mr Albares thanked the VP for his support for Spanish business interests in Nigeria and restated his country’s commitment to strengthening relations with Nigeria, stating that “Nigeria’s partnership with Spain in the energy sector is important.

“The relationship between our countries is mutually beneficial, and we will continue to try our best,” pledging his country’s support for Nigeria’s Energy Transition Plan especially sharing notes on best practices and implementing (renewable energy) projects in Nigeria.”

The Minister commended the role of Nigeria in maintaining stability in the West African sub-region, noting that “I must commend your efforts in ensuring democracy and everything concerning good governance in the region,” and pledged Spain’s support to the fight against terrorism and piracy in the Gulf of Guinea.

The Spanish minister was accompanied by the country’s Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Juan Sell; the Director of the Spanish Cooperation Agency, Mr Anton Leis, and the Director General for Africa, Mrs Alicia Rico.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

General

EFCC Probes Undeclared $461,600 at Kano Airport

Published

on

EFCC undeclared $461600 Kano Airport

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Two suspects are currently being investigated for not declaring $461,600 in their possession to the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport.

Two male passengers, identified as Mr Jamilu Shuaibu Waya and Mr Usman Namadi, were arrested on Friday, May 8, 2026, at the airport with an undeclared sum of money. They arrived in the country from Dubai via Ethiopian Airlines ET941.

While they initially declared $130,000 and $180,000, respectively, at the currency declaration desk, a subsequent physical examination by customs officials revealed an additional undeclared $120,000 on the first suspect (bringing his total to $250,000) and an additional $31,600 on the second suspect (bringing his total to $211,600). The undeclared amounts contravene Sections 3 and 4 of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act 2022.

In a statement on Monday, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said its Kano Zonal Directorate was looking into the matter after the suspects were handed over to the agency by the acting Customs Area Controller for Kano/Jigawa Area Command, Deputy Comptroller UU Adamu.

The Zonal Director of the EFCC, ACE1 Friday S. Ebelo, assured customs of his organisation’s commitment to a full-scale investigation.

“The EFCC will conduct a thorough and uncompromising investigation into this matter. We will prosecute the case with the utmost diligence to ensure that violators of our anti-money laundering laws face the full weight of justice,” he said.

He further expressed deep appreciation to the NCS for the long-standing and consistent cooperation of the service with the EFCC over the years, noting that such inter-agency collaboration remains critical in combating the illegal movement of cash and financial crimes.

Earlier in his remarks, Mr Adamu expressed his deep appreciation to the EFCC for its unwavering support to customs.

“Let me express appreciation for the continuous collaboration with the EFCC Kano Zonal Directorate for their support in realising our goal while combating the illegal movement of cash,” he said.

Continue Reading

General

DAPPMAN Faults Dangote’s Suit to Halt Fuel Imports

Published

on

DAPPMAN Oil Marketers

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria (DAPPMAN) has kicked against a lawsuit filed by the Dangote Petroleum Refinery to invalidate fuel import licences issued by the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA).

Last week, the refinery asked the Federal High Court in Lagos to void import permits granted by the NMDPRA to fuel importers.

The marketers said it would not fold its arms and allow its depots to go into extinction through a court ruling, arguing that the licences being challenged were not mere administrative favours but legal instruments issued under the PIA to guarantee the country’s fuel supply security.

The development followed the recently issued import license by the NMDPRA to six Nigerian oil marketers to bring in over 600,000 metric tonnes of petrol into the country.

Since the 650,000 barrels-per-day refinery began supplying petroleum products to the local market, Dangote has repeatedly argued that continued issuance of fuel import licences to marketers undermines domestic refining, weakens investment incentives, and encourages dependence on imported products despite existing local capacity.

The refinery already handles 90 per cent of the domestic supply.

In the statement, the marketers maintained that the NMDPRA acted within its statutory powers in approving the licences, stressing that the regulator’s responsibility was to ensure uninterrupted product availability for Nigerian consumers and not to protect the commercial interests of any single refinery, regardless of its size.

The association stated that its members had invested billions of naira in petroleum depots, logistics systems, and compliance infrastructure based on the understanding that the licences granted to them were lawful, valid, and protected under the law.

According to the marketers, any attempt to retroactively void those approvals would create uncertainty across the downstream petroleum sector at a time when stability in fuel supply remains critical.

“The news that Dangote Petroleum Refinery has filed a fresh lawsuit seeking to set aside fuel import licences issued by the NMDPRA to marketers and the NNPC demands a clear response from this association.

“The import licences at the centre of this lawsuit are not administrative courtesies. They are the legal instruments through which Nigeria’s fuel supply chain functions. They were issued under a regulatory framework established by the Petroleum Industry Act, by an authority empowered to make exactly this kind of determination. The NMDPRA has consistently maintained, correctly, that these licences exist to protect supply security, not to disadvantage any single producer, however large.

“DAPPMAN’s member companies have invested billions of naira in depot infrastructure, logistics networks, and compliance systems on the basis that their operating licences are valid, lawful, and durable. A legal action designed to retroactively void those licences does not just affect individual businesses, it introduces uncertainty into the entire downstream supply chain at a moment when Nigeria can least afford it,” the association maintained.

It added that the NMDPRA had consistently defended the issuance of import permits as necessary tools for safeguarding national supply, insisting that the position had previously been upheld in court and should continue to stand.

DAPPMAN rejected what it described as the underlying argument that a private refinery’s commercial interests should supersede the statutory mandate of the regulator.

It further warned against any attempt to turn Nigeria’s downstream petroleum industry into a monopoly, arguing that the market had evolved over many years into a multi-player system serving millions of Nigerians daily.

The association disclosed that it would engage legal counsel, work with affected member companies, and make formal representations to the relevant authorities over the matter.

“We respect Dangote Petroleum Refinery’s right to pursue legal remedies. What we do not accept is the premise that a private refinery’s commercial interests should override a regulatory authority’s mandate to ensure adequate supply to Nigerian consumers.

“The PIA is clear: import licences may be issued where the regulator determines it necessary. That determination has been made. It has been defended in court before. It should be defended again.

“Nigeria’s fuel market is not a monopoly waiting to happen. It is a competitive, multi-participant market that has taken years to build and that serves millions of Nigerians every day. DAPPMAN will be engaging legal counsel, coordinating with affected member companies, and making formal representations to the relevant authorities on this matter,” the statement added.

The group argued that the strength of Nigeria’s downstream sector lies in the participation of multiple operators, warning that efforts aimed at shrinking the number of market participants would ultimately hurt consumers through reduced competition and supply vulnerabilities.

According to DAPPMAN, “A lawsuit that seeks to reduce that field of players is ultimately a lawsuit against Nigerian consumers,” adding, “Our members did not build this industry to watch it be argued out of existence in a courtroom,” emphasising its commitment to continually serve Nigerians.

Continue Reading

General

Lolu Akinwunmi, Iquo Ukoh to Co-chair 2026 CMO Circle

Published

on

2026 CMO Circle

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The duo of Lolu Akinwunmi and Iquo Ukoh will co-chair the 2026 Chief Marketing Officers Circle (CMO Circle), slated for June 5, 2026, with the theme The C-Suite Mandate: Talent Density and Marketing Leadership.

The invitation-only forum for CMOs and senior marketing leaders will bring together the most influential voices in marketing to shape strategy at the highest levels of business and public policy.

As Co-Chairs, Akinwunmi and Ukoh will curate and lead high-level discussions focused on innovation, talent density, enterprise growth, and the expanding mandate of the CMO within the C-suite. Their stewardship reinforces the Circle’s role as a convening authority—one that not only reflects industry thinking but actively defines it.

Akinwunmi, Group CEO of Prima Garnet (Ogilvy Nigeria), brings decades of experience advising leading national and multinational brands, alongside a distinguished record of industry leadership.

Ukoh, Chief Executive Officer of Entod Marketing and former Director of Marketing Services at Nestlé Nigeria, is widely regarded for her leadership in brand strategy, consumer engagement, and cultural storytelling.

Convened by MarkHack in partnership with StatiSense and Brand Communicator, the CMO Circle operates at the intersection of enterprise leadership and national development. Beyond dialogue, the Circle institutionalises its influence through the quarterly CMO Index. This flagship publication aggregates executive sentiment, market intelligence, and forward-looking insights to inform policy conversations and economic decision-making. In doing so, the Circle positions marketing leadership as a critical voice in shaping Nigeria’s business environment and policy direction.

“The CMO Circle is intentionally designed as a premium, outcomes-driven platform—one that moves marketing leadership beyond the boardroom into the sphere of policy influence.

“With Iquo Ukoh and Lolu Akinwunmi as Co-Chairs, we are setting a clear tone of authority, depth, and relevance. Through the CMO Index and our quarterly convenings, the Circle will play a defining role in shaping both industry direction and policy dialogue,” the convener of CMO Circle, Mr Victor ’Gbenga Afolabi, stated.

Continue Reading

Trending