By Adedapo Adesanya
The federal government of Nigeria has threatened to review its relationship with Indonesia following an assault on a Nigerian diplomat by the country’s immigration officials.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffry Onyeama, gave this threat at a briefing in Abuja on Tuesday.
He said as a result of the ugly incident, the nation’s Ambassador to Indonesia has been summoned to give a detailed account of the assault, which has sparked outrage after a video of it went viral on Monday.
Mr Onyeama said, “There was absolutely no justification whatsoever for this kind of behaviour against not only a Nigerian diplomat but any Nigerian at all. It was totally unacceptable.
“What we have decided to do is to recall (for consultations immediately), our Nigerian ambassador in Jakarta in Indonesia and we will have full consultations at the highest level and decide what next steps to take including a review of our relations with Indonesia.”
Mr Onyeama’s briefing is a follow-up to Monday’s statement by his Ministry condemning the assault.
In that statement, the Foreign Affairs Ministry said the Indonesian Ambassador to Nigeria has apologised and that the immigration officials involved had also visited the Nigerian Embassy in Indonesia to apologise to the diplomat.
But Mr Onyeama told journalists in Abuja that the federal government wanted stronger action to be taken by the Indonesian government.
The officials must be sanctioned, he said, adding that Indonesia’s failure to do so will have consequences for the relationship between both countries.
Yesterday, a video of the incident which went viral showed at least three men, identified later as immigration officials, in a vehicle assaulting the Nigerian diplomat and ignoring his screams of pain.
While two of the men held his hands and pinned him down in the backseat, another freely assaulted his unprotected head as he cried out in pain.
“The unfortunate incident is against international law and the Vienna Conventions governing Diplomatic and Consular Relations between states,” the Nigerian Foreign Affairs Ministry said in its statement on Monday.
It also noted that the Ambassador of Indonesia to Nigeria who was summoned by the Foreign Affairs Minister had apologised.
“The Ambassador explained what he understood happened and apologised unreservedly on behalf of the Government of Indonesia.
“The Nigerian government has sent an official protest to the Government of Indonesia,” the ministry said.
Akinwumi Adesina Turns Down Requests to Become Next Nigerian President
By Adedapo Adesanya
The President of the Africa Development Bank (AfDB), Mr Akinwumi Adesina, has ruled himself out of the 2023 presidential race in Nigeria.
Mr Adesina made his position known in a statement on Tuesday after months of calls for him to join the contest after a group bought the presidential nomination form of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for him at the cost of N100 million.
In the statement, the banker emphasised that his current desire is to continue to hold the office of the president of the AfDB which he won reelection for last year.
However, he expressed appreciation for those who found him worthy of leading his country at this critical time it is undergoing different challenges ranging from economy, security and others.
“While I am deeply honoured, humbled and grateful for all the incredible goodwill, kindness, and confidence, my current responsibilities at this time do not allow me to accept to considered,” the statement read in part.
“I remain fully engaged and committed to the mission that Nigeria, Africa and all the non-African shareholders of the African Development Bank have given me for Africa’s development.
“I remain fully focused on the mission of supporting the accelerated development and economic integration of Africa,” Mr Adesina added.
Less than two weeks ago, a coalition of 28 groups purchased the N100 million APC presidential forms for the former Agriculture Minister.
The coalition consists of groups such as the Youth Arise Movement, Nigerians in Diaspora, One Nigeria Group, Prudent Youth Association of Nigeria, women groups, farmers, and other civil society groups.
Sanwo-Olu Promises Justice for Sound Engineer David Imoh
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has promised to ensure that the late Sound Engineer killed by a mob in the Lekki area of the state last week gets justice.
The Governor gave this assurance through the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, in a statement issued on Monday night.
Last week, after boarding a commercial motorcycle, an argument ensued between Mr David Imoh and the okada rider over N100 and attracted other riders, who then lynched him.
There have been calls for justice for the deceased and in the statement today, the state governor said this would be done.
He condemned the mob attack and said the police are interrogating four suspects at the State Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Panti in connection with the incident, while two survivors of the act are in hospital.
According to Mr Sanwo-Olu, the government will address the root cause of this and similar incidents, which have caused public anxiety, appealing to residents to remain calm as police continue to investigate the matter.
“Lagos has no room for savagery and anybody found to have been involved in this barbarism will surely face the law.
“We condemn and will not condone any kind of jungle justice, no matter who the perpetrators are,” the statement stressed.
N80bn Fraud: EFCC Arrests Accountant General of the Federation Ahmed Idris
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The Accountant General of the Federation (AGF), Mr Ahmed Idris, is cooling off in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
He is having talks with the agency, explaining what he knows about an alleged diversion of N80 billion belonging to the federal government.
He was picked up by operatives of the EFCC on Monday, May 16, 2022, after allegedly failing to honour invitations by the commission to respond to issues connected to the issue.
In a statement issued on Monday night, the anti-money laundering organisation claimed that Mr Idris, through verified intelligence, “raked off the funds through bogus consultancies and other illegal activities using proxies, family members and close associates.”
“The funds were laundered through real estate investments in Kano and Abuja,” another part of the statement disclosed.
The AGF has been in the news lately over an audit report, which indicted some ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) of the federal government of fraud.
Latest News on Business Post
- Entries for Ecobank National Essay Competition Close Saturday May 18, 2022
- Stanbic IBTC Funds University Education of 100 Students May 18, 2022
- Buga Keeps Kizz Daniel on Spotify’s Top Artist Chart for 13th Week May 18, 2022
- MTN Partners Huawei to Deploy Premium Wi-Fi Service in Nigeria May 18, 2022
- Awe Urges Corporate Firms to Adopt Sound Sustainability Reporting May 18, 2022
- 60 Startups to Share $4m Google’s Black Founders Fund May 18, 2022
- Stocks Shed 0.35% as Flour Mills, GSK, Others Fall May 18, 2022
- Naira Edges US Dollar by 0.71% to N418.50/$1 at I&E May 18, 2022
- NASD OTC Exchange Remains in Red as Capital Bancorp Falls 9.92% May 18, 2022
- Oil Drops as US Plans to Ease Sanctions on Venezuela May 18, 2022