Connect with us

General

Sadiku Hails NIPC Performance, Transparency in Five Years

Published

on

Yewande Sadiku NIPC

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC), Ms Yewande Sadiku, has said the commission in the last five years performed beyond expectation just as it was more accountable to Nigerians than at any other period as reflected in its publishing of quarterly reports and regular investment announcements.

Ms Sadiku disclosed this while featuring on the Arise TV Xchange program, where she stated that her administration had laid down the foundation of investment promotion in Nigeria which she expects will be sustained.

She stressed that the NIPC under her watch entrenched transparency in the pioneer status incentive process for the country.

The outgoing NIPC chief said the Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) ensured public disclosure of financial, legal procurement and operational information.

In terms of revenue generation, she said the internally generated revenue of the NIPC increased from N296 million in 2016 to N3 billion in 2020.

The actual IGR realized in the country within the period 2016 to the first half of 2021 was a total of N11.9 billion, while N5.8 billion (49 per cent of the total IGR) has been paid by the NIPC to the consolidated revenue fund of the federation.

Speaking on reforms, she highlighted that the NIPC had reviewed the country’s bilateral investment treaties to focus on responsible, inclusive, balanced and sustainable investments.

She also added that the NIPC encouraged proactive subnational investment promotion across the 36 states of the Federation.

Speaking further, she observed that there were significant improvements in the NIPC, in the following areas: capacity building for NIPC staff which improved significantly; leveraging technology to improve the accessibility to NIPC and its activities; and engaging quality experts as consultants in achieving key investment deals.

She noted that the NIPC serves the public good and should not be regarded as a revenue-generating agency.

Ms Sadiku will be stepping down as Executive Secretary/CEO of the Nigeria Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC) later this month and has been hailed for her reforms and advocacy for collaboration between MDAs to attract investments in Nigeria.

Her tenure was recently faced with an alleged scandal as she was said to have been invited by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on August 9, 2021, over issues that have been investigated by other anti-corruption agencies, none of whom has so far indicated that she has any case to answer.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Elumelu Rebukes UBA Graduate Trainee for Addressing Him as Tony

Published

on

tony elumelu UBA graduate trainee

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The chairman of United Bank for Africa (UBA), Mr Tony Elumelu, expressed his displeasure over the way he was addressed by one of the company’s graduate trainees at an interactive session in a viral video.

The financial institution organised a Graduate Management Accelerated Programme graduation ceremony on Thursday, and the former banker was in attendance.

During a question-and-answer session, one of the graduating trainees stood and called Mr Elumelu by his first name, Tony.

“Good morning, Tony,” she said.

Mr Elumelu initially thought the lady meant to say Toyin, but she repeated “Good morning, Tony,” a development the UBA chairman was not happy about.

He quickly responded by saying, “No, you won’t call me Tony. You’ll call me Mr Elumelu or TOE. You won’t call me Tony, or Chairman. I don’t subscribe to that kind of… Oyinbo life, okay?”

Though without offering any apology for the error, the female graduate trainee subsequently corrected herself, saying, “Good morning, Mr Elumelu,” before proceeding with her question.

The video clip from the event has already generated mixed reactions, with many happy that the business mogul quickly rebuffed the lady.

They described her as rude, fearing she could lose her job for being disrespectful to the chairman of the organisation.

However, some others said calling colleagues by their first names in a corporate ecosystem is not new, as such happens in the banking sector.

Continue Reading

General

Atiku Vows to Restore Petrol Subsidy if Elected President

Published

on

Atiku Abubakar press conference

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has promised to return the payment of subsidies for premium motor spirit (PMS), otherwise known as petrol, if he is elected President in 2027.

Mr Atiku is seeking to become Nigeria’s President next year. He is contesting for the position under the African Democratic Congress (ADC). The presidential election is slated for January 16, 2027.

Answering questions in a trending interview on social media, the former second citizen of the country said the removal of the fuel subsidy by President Bola Tinubu in 2023 has not done Nigerians any good.

According to him, the economy has been in shambles, noting that the subsidy removal is responsible for high living costs in Nigeria.

On Wednesday, the Minister of Finance, Mr Taiwo Oyedele, disclosed that the nation saved about N15.8 trillion between June 2023 and December 2025 from the policy, noting that over N10 trillion was made available to the 36 state governments and the 774 local government areas from the savings.

But the ADC presidential candidate was not impressed with this explanation, stressing that there is nothing to show for the purported gains of the policy.

“I initially did not oppose the removal of the fuel subsidy. But now that it has been removed, where is the money? Where has the subsidy money gone? Has it been used to improve healthcare, education or security?” he queried.

“If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money,” he declared.

Continue Reading

General

Nigerian Army Arrests 18 Illegal Miners, Recovers N2.47m in Niger State

Published

on

nigerian army

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigerian Army has arrested 18 suspected illegal miners at a mining site in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State, recovering equipment and N2.47 million in cash from the operation.

The suspects were arrested by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine operation in the area, where the soldiers reportedly discovered unauthorised mining activities.

Following the arrests, the army handed over the suspects and recovered items to the headquarters of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals in Sauka, Abuja, in line with established inter-agency procedures.

The operation is part of intensified efforts by security and regulatory agencies to curb illegal mining, which has been linked to revenue losses, environmental degradation and the unlawful exploitation of Nigeria’s mineral resources.

Reacting to the development, the Commander of the NSCDC Mining Marshals, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, commended the Nigerian Army for what he described as a strong demonstration of professionalism and commitment to protecting the country’s mineral wealth.

“The Nigerian Army has once again distinguished itself through professionalism, discipline and patriotism. The swift arrest of the suspects and their prompt handover to the Mining Marshals reflect a commendable commitment to the rule of law and the protection of Nigeria’s solid mineral resources,” he said.

Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals indicated that the suspects allegedly operated without licences, permits or any affiliation with a registered mining company. Investigators also said they could not produce evidence of valid mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities.

Items recovered from the mining site included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices and cash totalling N2,468,750.

Mr Attah said the Mining Marshals would continue to pursue individuals involved in illegal mining and strengthen intelligence-led operations against activities that undermine the formal mining industry and deprive government of legitimate revenue.

He added that the Corps, under its Commandant-General, Mr Ahmed Audi, remained committed to enforcing the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act and protecting Nigeria’s mineral resources from unlawful exploitation.

The Mining Marshals said the investigation had been concluded and that the 18 suspects were being processed for prosecution under the relevant provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act, 2007.

Continue Reading