Connect with us

General

Security Operatives Destroy Boat Conveying 600 Barrels of Stolen Crude

Published

on

600 barrels of

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigerian security operatives, over the weekend, impounded and destroyed a boat belonging to a government-approved entity loaded with over 600 barrels of crude oil from illegal bunkering in Warri, Delta state.

The military, in partnership with a security outfit, Tantita Security Services, impounded the barge in Warri as part of efforts by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) to secure crude oil assets in the Niger Delta.

The barge, allegedly used to convey the crude oil to the jetty, was carried 20 miles off the coast of Warri, where the military on Saturday insisted on destroying the vessel.

The firm linked the illegal operation to Mawe Services Limited, a corporate entity approved by the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) to provide services within the confines of lifting sludge.

It was revealed that the force was working on intelligence received two weeks ago by Tantita Security and Mason Engineering, indicating that the facility was being used for activities outside its approval limits.

According to the Executive Director, Operations and Technical, Tantita Security, Captain Warredi Enisuoh, further intelligence revealed that a 1,000-metric-ton barge was berthing alongside its jetty, loaded with illegal crude oil declared as sludge.

The barge was said to have been towed by an unidentified tugboat into Mawe Services Limited’s jetty and left. A team of operatives with the security outfit reportedly continued to monitor the jetty for suspicious activities.

Mr Enisuoh stated that a sewage truck with number plate JR7750XA was observed to have visited the jetty twice. During its third visit on Friday, the truck was said to have been accosted by the operatives keeping a constant vigil over the area.

According to the authorities, after its inspection, the substance found inside the tank was not sewage but crude oil. The driver was arrested and handed over to government security operatives.

The driver later revealed the destination of the contents, which took the security outfit to another yard inland, also operated by Mawe Services Limited, the firm’s ED added.

He further explained that within Mawe Services Limited’s premises, there were two metallic cylindrical tanks with a capacity of about 45,000 litres each.

Both tanks were said to have been inspected, and one was found to have been filled up with crude oil. The driver of the truck reportedly confirmed that he had been transferring the content of the barge into the tank that was filled.

According to the firm, an inspection of the yard security logbook showed that the truck visited the location repeatedly, and the content of the truck was clearly spelt out as “crude oil”.

According to Mr Enisuoh, the illegal tapping of crude oil has drastically reduced at the pipelines due to the synergy between the outfit and security agencies.

However, crude oil thieves have now resorted to tampering with well heads to steal crude oil, he said.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Nasarawa Orders Immediate Shutdown of Mining Activities in Endo Community

Published

on

Lideal Mining Company

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nasarawa State government has ordered the immediate suspension of mining activities at Endo community in Udege, directing Lideal Mining Company to stop operations and vacate the site without delay.

The government also ordered an immediate halt to the movement of raw minerals from the location, tightening restrictions around the disputed mining area.

The latest intervention by the state government signals a tougher stance on mining operations considered capable of threatening public order or operating outside established procedures.

Announcing the decision in Lafia, the state capital, the Commissioner for Environment and Natural Resources, Mrs Margaret Elayo, said the action followed a series of consultations, stakeholder engagements and security assessments linked to activities within the affected mining cadastral unit.

She said the directive was issued in the public interest as part of efforts to maintain order, protect host communities and strengthen regulatory compliance in the state’s mining sector.

According to the commissioner, the company has been instructed to begin the immediate withdrawal of its mining equipment, heavy machinery, trucks, operational facilities and personnel from the site.

Mrs Elayo said the move aligns with the administration of Governor Abdullahi Sule, which has repeatedly pledged to enforce lawful mining practices, preserve peace in mining communities and build investor confidence through transparent regulatory processes.

She stressed that the government’s decision forms part of a broader plan to reposition the mining sector and ensure that mineral development does not undermine security, environmental standards or community stability.

To enforce compliance, the state government has directed the deployment of security personnel to the affected mining site to prevent unauthorised activities and ensure full adherence to the suspension order.

Nasarawa remains one of Nigeria’s key solid minerals states, attracting growing interest from mining investors because it contains lithium, tin, columbite and other strategic minerals.

However, increased mining activity has also heightened concerns around regulation, community disputes, environmental protection and security management.

Continue Reading

General

EFCC Arrests Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman

Published

on

EFCC Arrest Saleh Mamman

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The recently-convicted former Minister of Power, Mr Saleh Mamman, has been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Chairman of the EFCC, Mr Ola Olukoyede, during a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday, said the former senior government official was apprehended this afternoon along with two others accused of shielding him.

Earlier this month, Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja convicted Mr Mamman for N33.8 billion fraud after he was found guilty of a 12-count charge brought against him by the EFCC. He was sentenced to 75 years in prison, though he was not present in court on the day of his sentencing.

Speaking with journalists today, Mr Olukoyede said the convict was arrested at 3:30 am on Tuesday in a house in Kano, where he was allegedly being protected.

“Ladies and gentlemen, you will recall that sometime in January 2025, we filed charges against the ex-minister of power for allegedly converting over N33 billion – money that was set aside for the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects,” Olukoyede said during a press briefing.

“About 14 to 15 months down the line, specifically on the 7th of this month, we secured convictions on all 12 counts. Because the defendant was not present, the issue of sentencing was shifted. And on the 13th of this month, he was sentenced in absentia.

“Since then, we decided to open our intelligence surveillance to the public, looking for him all over the place. I am happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr Saleh Mamman somewhere in Kano. We have discovered that he was actually being protected all this while,” he said.

Continue Reading

General

UK Backs Pan-African Founder Support Programme at London Tech Week

Published

on

UK Pan-African Founder Programme

By Adedapo Adesanya

The United Kingdom is deepening efforts to position itself as a preferred global expansion hub for African startups with the launch of the UK–Africa Ecosystem Week, a coordinated support programme to be delivered during London Tech Week.

Powered by the UK–Africa Sandbox and Ventures 54 in partnership with the UK Department for Business and Trade (DBT), the initiative is expected to provide African founders with structured support to navigate business, investment and networking opportunities in the UK market.

The programme is also backed by the UK Nigeria Tech Hub, the UK South Africa Tech Hub, London & Partners and the Mayor of London’s office, signalling growing institutional support for stronger commercial and technology ties between the UK and African innovation ecosystems.

According to the organisers, the initiative introduces a more coordinated approach to participation at London Tech Week, one of the world’s largest annual technology gatherings, which attracts over 100,000 participants across more than 500 events yearly.

Founders participating in the programme will gain access to curated sessions, concierge-style support services, dedicated workspaces, investor engagement opportunities and market entry guidance tailored to African technology companies seeking expansion into the UK.

A flagship UK–Africa Ecosystem Day will also bring together investors, policymakers, ecosystem builders and founders to discuss commercial expansion opportunities and partnerships between both regions.

Founder of Ventures 54 and UK-Africa Sandbox, Mr Anthony William Catt, said the initiative was developed in response to the increasing number of African startups travelling to London Tech Week over the last few years.

He explained that what started as informal networking gatherings under the London Africa Network had evolved into structured programming and has now scaled into a full week of activities aimed at helping founders maximise opportunities available within the UK ecosystem.

“This is about putting the right structure in place, so African founders have a dedicated support track to get the most out of the week and access the best of what the UK has to offer,” he said.

Speaking on the initiative, Acting His Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for Africa, Mr Ben Ainsley, described the UK as a natural destination for ambitious African startups due to its large technology ecosystem, deep venture capital market and access to global talent.

“The UK Government is committed to supporting high-growth international companies succeed in the UK and initiatives like the UK–Africa Sandbox demonstrate our focus on making it easier for African founders to access support and fully engage with the UK’s world-class innovation ecosystem.”

The programme is expected to attract delegations and founders from countries including Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Egypt, Algeria and Ghana.

Organisers added that the initiative would extend beyond London Tech Week through the broader UK–Africa Sandbox platform, which aims to support African founders entering the UK market while also creating pathways for UK startups seeking expansion opportunities across Africa.

Continue Reading

Trending