Connect with us

General

TCN Intensifies Effort to Expand National Grid

Published

on

Expand National Grid

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) said it was currently working to expand the national grid as part of efforts to improve power supply in the country.

This was disclosed by the General Manager, Public Affairs, Mrs Ndidi Mbah, in a statement, where she explained that the capacity of the national grid has improved under the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari, especially with the record of four all-time peaks in the sector in 2020, and two recorded in January 2021 so far.

The Public Affairs GM further explained that TCN grid network has the capacity of 8,100 megawatts even as it continues to work towards completing ongoing projects to further increase its capacity.

She clarified that the National Control Centre (NCC), an arm of TCN, is responsible for ensuring grid stability and its dispatch instructions are guided by the Grid Code, which it strictly adheres to, with a clear understanding of consequences to the nation’s grid.

Despite the role played by the NCC, she clarified that TCN does not distribute electricity to electricity consumers and cannot also switch off consumer feeders. Its jurisdiction on the network is from 330 kilovolt (kV) to 132kV power lines. The company cannot switch off consumers feeders as it is not within TCN’s jurisdiction, she maintained.

“The fact is that electricity cannot be stored; therefore, power generation, transmission and distribution occur simultaneously.

“What determines what is put on the grid is what the distribution companies are ready to off-take, this equally regulates what the generator would generate, which is why the DisCos are required to nominate what they would off-take a day ahead.

“It is important to note that whatever happens on the downstream network impacts on transmission and generators.

“That notwithstanding, it would be wrong to attribute most localized outages and load-shedding of consumers feeders to TCN. Discos can only off-take what is generated, while Gencos can only generate what Discos can off-take.

“Each of the 11 DisCos has its own challenges which may necessitate outage in certain places per time,” she said.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

General

Sanwo-Olu Swears in Ladi Oluwaloni as Ayobo Ipaja LCDA Chairman

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Ladi Oluwaloni

By Dipo Olowookere

The acting chairman of Ayobo Ipaja Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Mr Oladipupo Oluwaloni, popularly known as Ladi, has been sworn-in as the substantive chairman of the council.

He was sworn in on Thursday by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State at a brief ceremony attended by several loyalists of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.

The grassroots politician was appointed as the acting chairman of Ayobo Ipaja LCDA last month by the Governor following the long absence of his boss, Mrs Bola Shobowale.

He served as the deputy chairman of the local council before his elevation following the death of Mrs Shobowale after a protracted illness on March 21, 2025.

At the swearing-in ceremony yesterday, Mr Sanwo-Olu charged Mr Oluwaloni to listen to collaborate closely with the community as he was there to serve them.”

“Together, through unity, we can achieve our vision for a greater Lagos,” the Governor tasked the new chairman, who could not hide his excitement.

In his response, the new council chairman promised to align fully with the T.H.E.M.E.S Plus Agenda of the present administration, promising to prioritize the socioeconomic development of the people and uphold democratic values in service delivery.

Mr Oluwaloni, when he was asked to occupy the position in an acting capacity two weeks ago, said, “This is a great responsibility, and I am fully committed to upholding the trust placed in me.

“My focus will be on ensuring that governance at the grassroots remains effective, responsive, and aligned with the developmental agenda of our great state.”

Continue Reading

General

NEITI Tasks Ojulari, NNPC Board on Reforms, Transparency, Accountability

Published

on

bashir bayo ojulari

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI) has tasked the new chief executive of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, Mr Bayo Ojulari, to strengthen reforms, transparency and accountability.

The Executive Secretary of NEITI, Mr Orji Ogbonnaya Orji, while reacting to Mr Ojulari’s appointment, urged the new leadership to prioritise the timely publication of the company’s financial statements, full disclosure of production data, operational costs, and revenue remittances to help rebuild public trust and enhance Nigeria’s global reputation

President Bola Tinubu had on Wednesday reconstituted the board of the NNPC, removing the chairman, Mr Pius Akinyelure, and the erstwhile CEO, Mr Mele Kyari.

Mr Orji said that Ojulari’s appointment came at a critical time when the ongoing NNPC Limited reforms required renewed commitment, strategic leadership, and a firm dedication to transparency, accountability and corporate governance.

“NEITI recognised that NNPC, as Nigeria’s foremost national energy company, plays a crucial role in shaping the future of the country’s oil and gas sector.

“As a member of the NEITI National Stakeholders’ Working Group (NSWG) and a key institution in Nigeria’s extractive industry, NNPC Ltd. is responsible to ensure that the reforms initiated under the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) are strengthened, broadened, and sustained in the public interest.

“As a supporting company of the global Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI), NNPC Ltd. must demonstrate unwavering commitment to openness, systematic disclosure of critical industry data, responsible resource management and corporate governance best practices,” he said.

He urged the new leadership to prioritise timely publication of NNPC’s financial statements, full disclosure of production data, operational costs, and revenue remittances to help rebuild public trust and enhance Nigeria’s global reputation.

According to him, transparency in the management of oil and gas revenues remains critical to national development and ongoing poverty reduction efforts.

He said the EITI process provided a tested framework for ensuring that revenues from natural resources were prudently managed, fully accounted for, and efficiently deployed to address Nigeria’s development needs.

“We look forward to working closely with the new GCEO and his team in deepening the NEITI-EITI process in Nigeria and ensuring that NNPC Ltd. continues to align with international best practices in corporate governance and financial transparency.

“NEITI also congratulates the newly reconstituted NNPC Ltd. Board and charges them to provide forward-looking strategic direction to fast-track the ongoing transformation of NNPC Ltd. in line with the PIA.

“The Board’s role in ensuring that NNPCL remains accountable to its shareholders—the Nigerian people—is crucial to the long-term sustainability of the company and the industry at large.”

Mr Orji lauded Mr Kyari and his team for their dedication, hard work, mutual respect, patience, and collaboration with NEITI over the past six years.

“His tenure was marked by significant engagements with NEITI in advancing corporate transparency, public disclosures, and aligning NNPC Ltd. with the global EITI framework,” he said.

Continue Reading

General

Petition to Recall Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan Fails

Published

on

Akpoti-Uduaghan homecoming

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said the petition to recall the Senator representing Kogi Central, Mrs Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, did not meet the requirements.

In a statement on Thursday, the electoral commission said the petition did not meet the requirements of the constitution.

“The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended),” INEC wrote on its X handle.

INEC cited Section 69(a) of the Constitution, which stipulates that a petition to recall a senator needs the signatures of more than one-half of the registered voters in the lawmaker’s constituency.

“The total number of registered voters in the Kogi Central Senatorial District is 474,554. More than one-half of this figure (i.e. 50%+1) is 237,277+1, which is at least 237,278 voters,” the statement issued by INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman, Information & Voter Education Committee, Mr Sam Olumekun read in part.

“Across the 902 Polling Units in 57 Registration Areas and five Local Government Areas that make up the Senatorial District, the Commission ascertained 208,132 signatures/thumbprints from the submission made by the petitioners.”

The development comes some days after the electoral body rejected the petition to recall the embattled lawmaker, citing missing addresses and other issues.

The petitioners later submitted the missing items, and on March 26, the body confirmed that it has received the contact addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of representatives of those who submitted the petition for the recall of the suspended senator.

INEC added that the next step was to scrutinise the list of signatories submitted by the petitioners to ascertain that the petition is signed by more than one half (over 50 per cent) of the registered voters in the constituency.

With this, INEC has concluded that the petition has yet to meet all requirements for the recall of Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan as enshrined in amended 1999 constitution.

Continue Reading

Trending