Connect with us

General

UPDATE: Explosion Kills Eight, Destroys Primary School in Baruwa

Published

on

Baruwa Explosion

By Adedapo Adesanya

A gas explosion that rocked the Baruwa community in the Alimosho Local Government Area of Lagos State in the early hours of Thursday has so far claimed the lives of eight persons.

The explosion, which reportedly emanated from a gas outlet known as Best Roof Cooking Gas, occurred around 5.45 am today.

ALSO READ  FG to Pay Nigeria Airways Pensioners Next Month

Giving details, the Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Mr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said the agency’s emergency response unit had been deployed in the area, adding that the explosion razed houses, shops and a primary school.

He said, “The explosion occurred and the agency activated a response plan. Initial disaster assessment is as follows: casualties still being assessed but eight fatalities have been identified so far 25 houses that are mostly bungalows, 16 lock-up shops and one primary school have been affected.

ALSO READ  Child Custody: Court Orders Arrest of Mike Adenuga’s Son

“Firefighters and rescue workers are operating at the incident scene. The gas emission has been identified and curtailed. Damping down is ongoing.”

“Post-disaster assessment will be carried out and further updates provided,” he added.

Other agencies including Lagos State Response Unit (LRU) Fire, Lagos State Fire Service, Nigerian Police Force (NPF), and Lagos State Neighbourhood Safety Corps (LNSC) were on the ground to curtail the spread of the fire to other buildings.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

General

EFCC Goes After Car Dealers, Real Estate Agents, Others

Published

on

EFCC Real Estate Agents

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The Chairman of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr Abdularasheed Bawa, has hinted that a searchlight will be beamed on car dealers, jewellery sellers, real estate agents and others.

The anti-money laundering agency, while addressing newsmen in Abuja on Thursday, disclosed that evidence has shown that these set of people use proceeds of corruption for their business transactions.

He said the EFCC was working on a number of proactive strategies including a special control unit against money laundering, established particularly to address non-designated financial institutions including car dealers, real estate, jewellery dealers, among others.

ALSO READ  KEDCO Begs Customers to Pay Outstanding Bills

Mr Bawa said that he was confident that when the unit is fully established, corruption will significantly decline in the country.

He added that the agency was equally working towards the development of a biometric ownership database to address money laundering.

According to him, most proceeds of crime are laundered through real estate and have become a huge challenge, giving examples of property acquired especially in Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt where billions of naira were laundered through this means.

ALSO READ  Kwara Denies Giving Saraki Part of Paris Loan Refund

He, however, declined to disclose actual perpetrators or the properties involved but revealed that since his assumption, a number of recoveries have been made including N6 billion, $161 million, £13,000, €1,730, among others.

He further said internet fraudsters numbering 1,502 have also been apprehended between January and June 2021, noting that efforts were underway to file about 800 of them.

ALSO READ  Lagos Charges N1.37m for 2021 Umrah

Mr Bawa was at the Presidential Villa yesterday to clarify the specific Minister involved in the laundering of about $37 million into real estate to which he referred in his earlier statement.

He said the matter was an old case involving a former Minister of Petroleum, Ms Allison Diezani Madueke.

Continue Reading

General

KedCo Warns Customers Against Meter Bypass

Published

on

Against Meter Bypass

By Adedapo Adesanya

The management of Kano Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO) has cautioned customers in its franchise areas against meter bypass as it intensifies efforts in meter installation.

According to a statement by KEDCO’s Head of Corporate Communications, Mr Ibrahim Sani Shawai, “the warning had become necessary as a way of ensuring that renewed efforts at speeding up metering are not sabotaged.

ALSO READ  Collapsed Buildings: Era of Impunity Over—Buhari Talks Tough

“Anyone caught bypassing our meters would not be spared as we will go all out within the provisions of the law of the land to ensure that violators are made to pay penalty after prosecution.

“We are speeding up processes to ensure that 87,747 meters are installed by the end of the month under the zero phase.

“We have met with all vendors and mandated them to increase manpower to ensure speedy deployment and installation of meters to customers.

ALSO READ  KEDCO Begs Customers to Pay Outstanding Bills

“We appeal to our numerous customers to give vendors the necessary cooperation to ensure that estimated billing system is brought to an end in KEDCO franchise within the shortest time possible.”

The distribution company had recently warned customers against meter apathy as it observed that some customers were deliberately refusing to get metered, which it considers unacceptable.

ALSO READ  Edo Notorious for Power Theft—Electricity Distributors

KEDCO is one of the major Nigerian electricity distribution companies. KEDCO operates in the northwestern geopolitical zone of Nigeria and generates, distributes and markets electricity in three states. It covers the franchise states of Kano, Katsina and Jigawa.

Continue Reading

General

Navy Seizes 251 Bags of Smuggled Rice in Akwa Ibom

Published

on

251 bags of smuggled rice

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigerian Navy, Forward Operating Base (FOB), Ibaka, Mbo Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom has impounded 251 bags of rice smuggled through the waterways.

The Commanding Officer of FOB, Navy Captain Suleiman Abdullahi, disclosed this in Ibaka on Thursday when he handed over the bags of contrabands to the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS).

He said that the 251 bags of rice were seized from smugglers on June 15 during routine patrol operations by the unit, explaining that the suspects abandoned the rice and the boat and fled on sighting the naval patrol team, emphasising that the Base would not relent in putting an end to illegalities on the Akwa Ibom waterways.

ALSO READ  KEDCO Begs Customers to Pay Outstanding Bills

“What you are witnessing here today is the handover of 251 bags of rice suspected to be smuggled into the Nigerian maritime border.

“By the directive of the Flag Officer, Eastern Naval Command, Rear Admiral Sanusi Ibrahim, we have zero tolerance for smuggling.

“By the directive, we have carried out intensive patrol and on June 15, 2021, we seized one wooden boat and 251 bags of smuggled rice.

“On sighting the patrol team, the smugglers abandoned the rice inside the boat and flee to escape arrest.

ALSO READ  Edo Notorious for Power Theft—Electricity Distributors

This is an indication of their awareness of the crime perpetrated by these suspects for them to have abandoned their boat and flee,” Mr Abdullahi said.

The commanding officer warned smugglers to relocate out of the Nigerian maritime borders, stressing that it would not be business as usual for them.

He urged them to desist from smuggling and other illegal businesses, but they should engage in legitimate endeavours.

“I will like to use this opportunity to warn those maritime criminals that it is not going to be business as usual.

“That they should desist from their criminal ways and engage in genuine business, otherwise the long arm of the law will catch up on them,” he said.

ALSO READ  Collapsed Buildings: Era of Impunity Over—Buhari Talks Tough

Receiving the 251 bags of rice on behalf of the customs, the Comptroller of Sector 1, Port Harcourt, Mr Shehu Abubakar, said the agency would do everything possible to stop smuggling in the country.

Mr Abubakar, who was represented by the Superintendent of Customs, Border Drill Patrol Team, Oron Axis, Mr Mustapha Ahmed, warned smugglers to desist from the illegal trade, stressing that the organisation would continue to checkmate all economic sabotage in the country.

Continue Reading

Like Our Facebook Page

Latest News on Business Post

Trending

%d bloggers like this: