General
Wike Blames FG for Hydrocarbon Soot in Port Harcourt
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Rivers State Governor, Mr Nyesom Wike has pointed accusatory fingers at the federal government for its inaction towards the hydrocarbon soot bedevilling the state caused by the illegal activities of artisanal refiners.
Governor Wike during a state-wide broadcast to mark the new year said the central government, despite all efforts by the state to draw their attention to the menace, has refused to intervene on the issue.
He assured that his administration has been overly concerned over the black soot environmental disaster that has continued to affect Port Harcourt residents.
“As a state government, we have drawn the attention of the federal government to this problem and requested for its intervention to stop the activities of illegal bunkering and artisanal crude oil refiners, which have been identified as the main sources of the soot pandemic.
“Unfortunately, the federal government has remained inexplicably silent over our request and even complicit to a large extent with the security agencies actively aiding, encouraging and protecting the artisanal refiners to continue with their harmful activities unabated.
“We have equally appealed without success to our people engaging in this illegal business to consider its negative effects on our economy, environment, public safety and public health and disengage from it.
“We will continue to engage and plead with the Federal Government to intervene and save our people from this serious environmental and health emergency,” the Governor said.
However, Mr Wike said since the federal security agencies have refused to stop the illegal crude oil refining activities in the state, his administration will take necessary measures to tackle the soot menace, which he said was a direct challenge to everyone’s collective health and survival.
“Consequently, I have directed the Chairman of Port Harcourt City Local Government Council to go after all the illegal crude oil refining sites along Creek road and adjourning areas of the city and shut them down with immediate effect.
“Furthermore, all Local Government Chairmen are directed to work with community leaders to locate and identify those behind all illegal bunkering and crude oil refining sites in their localities and report to my office for further action.”
The Governor also expressed his sympathy to the victims of the recent fire incidences caused by activities of illegal oil bunkering in the State, especially those who lost loved ones and valuable property.
“As a government, we will continue to do our best to strengthen the State Fire Service to effectively intervene to mitigate the damage during fire incidents.
“However, members of the public also have the responsibility to do the right thing to prevent or avoid some of these fire incidents from happening and those who deliberately bury fuel and gas tanks in residential areas are certainly not doing the right thing, and should therefore relocate their precarious businesses to more convenient and less risky places,” he stated.
Business Post gathered that the prevalence of pollution and the inhalation of carcinogens due to black soot prevalence have surged among residents and has led to increasing respiratory-related diseases within the last six years.
General
Desmond Elliot Denies Withdrawing from Surulere 1 APC Primary Race
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
Nollywood star-turned politician, Mr Desmond Elliott, has said he did not withdraw from the primary election of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to elect a candidate for the Lagos State House of Assembly Surulere Constituency 1.
Earlier on Wednesday, the actor released a video where he said he was not participating in the exercise after he alleged intimidation of his supporters.
But moments later, after videos started emerging that his opponent, Ms Barakat Odunuga-Bakare, had clinched the party’s ticket for the proper election in 2027, Mr Elliot said he never stepped down.
In a statement shared on his social media platform, X, formerly Twitter, the movie star described reports of his purported withdrawal from the race as “misleading,” saying they were “deliberate misrepresentations” of his stance in the video.
“We wish to categorically state that Desmond Elliott did not withdraw or step down from the race,” a part of the statement signed by the Concerned Supporters and Stakeholders in Surulere Constituency 1 noted.
“For the avoidance of doubt, what Desmond Elliott communicated in the video posted on his official X (formerly Twitter) handle, @DesmondOElliot, was his deep concern over the deliberate exclusion and intimidation of his supporters, many of whom were denied access to the designated voting venues, particularly in Ward F2 and Ward F3.
“These unfortunate developments created an atmosphere of tension and raised legitimate fears of a possible breakdown of law and order. In light of these troubling circumstances, Desmond Elliott, acting responsibly and in the interest of peace, urged his agents and supporters to withdraw from the immediate voting environment to prevent escalation and to avoid any form of violence or chaos.
“His decision was one of statesmanship and restraint—not a concession, withdrawal, or surrender of his candidacy.
“It is therefore misleading and inaccurate for anyone to interpret or portray his remarks as stepping down from the race. Desmond Elliott remains committed to democratic principles, the rule of law, and the mandate freely given to him by the overwhelming majority of his supporters across Surulere Constituency 1.
“We call on party members, stakeholders, and the general public to disregard false narratives and remain focused on the need for transparency, fairness, and justice in the electoral process.
“At this critical moment, it is imperative that the integrity of the primary election process be upheld and that every legitimate supporter and delegate is allowed to participate freely, without intimidation or obstruction,” the disclosure stated.
General
PenCom, NLC to Intensify Efforts Against Pension Defaulters from June 1
By Adedapo Adesanya
The National Pension Commission (PenCom) and the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Lagos Council will begin enforcement against pension defaulters under the Contributory Pension Scheme from June 1.
The NLC Lagos Council Chairperson, Mrs Funmi Sesi, disclosed this after an interactive session organised by PenCom in Lagos on Tuesday.
The session focused on the workings of the Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS) and sensitised labour leaders on pension compliance obligations under the Pension Reform Act.
Mrs Sesi condemned the continued failure of some government agencies and private employers to remit deducted pension contributions to Pension Fund Administrators.
“It is unacceptable that in spite of monthly deductions from workers’ salaries, some employers deliberately fail to remit the funds,” she said.
She warned that the practice endangered workers’ future and undermined their economic security after retirement.
“The non-remittance of pension contributions constitutes a gross violation of labour laws and abuse of workers’ trust,” Sesi stated.
She described a pension as a fundamental workers’ right, stressing that employees deserved to retire with dignity after years of productive service.
According to her, NLC and PenCom had received growing complaints from affected workers across public and private establishments in Lagos.
Mrs Sesi said the complaints prompted immediate monitoring and enforcement efforts in collaboration with PenCom and other relevant stakeholders.
She warned that the Congress would mobilise affiliate unions against employers refusing to comply with pension remittance obligations.
“If we need to purchase locks and keys just to ensure compliance and enforcement, we will apply that.
“We are the voice for the voiceless, the power for workers and the last hope of workers and pensioners,” Sesi said.
She further warned that defaulting employers risked public exposure and possible legal action for violating pension regulations.
Mrs Sesi urged employers to comply fully with pension laws to promote industrial harmony, social justice and national development.
On his part, PenCom Director-General, Ms Omolola Oloworaran, said the Contributory Pension Scheme guaranteed financial security for workers after retirement.
Ms Oloworaran, represented by Mr Ahmed Lawan, Head of Compliance and Enforcement Department, said retirees previously suffered severe hardship and delayed pension payments.
She noted that the CPS had improved pension administration but accused some employers of frustrating the scheme through non-remittance of deductions.
Ms Oloworaran warned ministries, departments, agencies, parastatals and private firms against denying workers their pension rights.
She stressed that retirement should not become painful after years of dedicated public and private service.
“Deducting workers’ pension contributions without remitting them is a criminal offence under the pension law,” she warned.
The PenCom chief encouraged affected workers to report defaulting organisations to the NLC for investigation and enforcement.
She assured workers that the identities of whistleblowers would remain protected where necessary during enforcement operations.
The official announced that PenCom and NLC would begin joint monitoring and enforcement exercises across Lagos from June.
“We will go after organisations involved in non-remittance of workers’ pension deductions in Lagos State,” she said.
She urged workers to cooperate by providing useful information to strengthen compliance efforts and protect employees’ retirement savings.
The NLC inaugurated a committee of task force commanders from affiliate unions to support enforcement operations statewide.
General
PayPal Enables PayPal USD in Africa, Asia, Others
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
After its launch in the United States in 2023, PayPal USD (PYUSD) is now available in 70 markets worldwide, including in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and North America. providing stable purchasing power and enabling lower-cost global commerce for users.
In a statement on Wednesday, PayPal said this dollar-backed stablecoin enables users to send funds globally, with faster settlement and lower cost than traditional payment methods.
Users in newly supported markets can buy, hold, send, and receive PYUSD directly from their PayPal account. Additionally, eligible users can earn rewards on their PYUSD holdings, transfer funds to friends and family, whether on PayPal or to third-party digital wallets, and convert PYUSD to local currency when withdrawing funds for everyday spending.
Businesses that accept PYUSD can use proceeds in minutes rather than days or weeks, improving liquidity and reducing reliance on traditional settlement cycles. Faster access to funds can help businesses manage working capital, support cross-border operations, and participate in global commerce.
As global commerce becomes increasingly digital, individuals and businesses are looking for faster and more seamless ways to transact across borders. Stablecoins like PYUSD help power an inclusive, fast, lower-cost, global commerce system.
“Consumers and businesses around the world are looking for faster, more seamless ways to transact globally, and the current system still charges too much, takes too long, and settles on timelines that were designed for a different era,” the Senior Vice President and General Manager of Crypto for PayPal, May Zabaneh, stated.
“We are working to change that. Enabling PYUSD in users’ accounts across 70 markets gives people faster access to their funds, lower-cost ways to send money across borders, and a more direct path to participating in the global economy, and that is what drives commerce forward for everyone,” Zabaneh added.
Also commenting, the Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Middle East and Africa at PayPal, Otto Williams, said, “Bringing PYUSD to Africa is about delivering tangible value to the people and businesses driving growth in these dynamic markets.
“Consumers gain a flexible, stable way to move funds faster, while businesses can streamline cross-border payments, improve settlement times, and unlock new growth opportunities. By increasing access to a regulated, USD-backed digital currency, we’re breaking down barriers and helping reduce friction in global commerce across the region.”
-
Feature/OPED6 years agoDavos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism10 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz3 years agoEstranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking8 years agoSort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy3 years agoSubsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking3 years agoSort Codes of UBA Branches in Nigeria
-
Banking3 years agoFirst Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports3 years agoHighest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
