Connect with us

Jobs/Appointments

Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Employs Indians

Published

on

Ericsson Sacks 160 Nigerian Workers, Employs Indians

ericsson-nigeria

By Dipo Olowookere

Not less than 160 Nigerians working with Ericson Nigeria have been disengaged by the company. Out of the number, 55 of them are full-time workers, while the rest are on contract jobs.

According to Punch, the sack will take effect from Sunday, December 4, 2016.

A copy of the disengagement letter to the permanent workers signed by the Managing Director of the company, Mr Johan Jemdahi, reads, “Please be informed that effective December 4, 2016, your position has been declared redundant.

“We thank you for all your past services to Ericsson. Further information about the redundancy benefits will be communicated to you before the actual termination date.”

It was gathered that the outsourced workers were employed through Network Operating Centre.

Punch, relying on information from sources in the company, reports that some workers were laid off in July when the offshoring (the practice of a company in one country arranging for people in another country to do work for it) of jobs to India began.

It said findings show that foreign workers had been recruited to replace the disengaged workers, and knowledge transfer by Nigerian engineers to the new workers was ongoing in the company’s office in India.

The knowledge transfer had been going on since last year when some Indians were brought into the country to study the management of telecommunications infrastructure in the country.

It further said in the last two and half years, Ericsson Nigeria had managed the MTN network majorly from its pool of local workers, some of who were former MTN employees, as well as other contracted workers.

One of the affected workers said that the company was offering the jobs, which involved the monitoring of MTN masts and networks in the country, to Indians at reduced costs.

The workers expressed fears that this would be a continuous trend in the telecommunications industry if it was not addressed by the government.

The employee, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “The company said it was cheaper for the work to be done in India than in Nigeria. The monitoring of those masts can be done from anywhere. We monitor Abuja, Enugu, Asaba, and Port Harcourt sites from the Lagos office. What they are now proposing is that instead of monitoring from Lagos, they want to monitor from India.

“They have taken the Airtel NOC office to India. They brought about 30 Indians to Nigeria last year to come and understudy the MTN network and after a month, they went back and started monitoring from there. There are no plans to pay compensation to the outsourced workers in the company.”

The Public Relations Manager, Sub-Saharan Africa, Ericsson, Toju Egbebi, who confirmed the development to the newspaper, said the move was part of the company’s global cost and efficiency programme to achieve a net annual cost savings of Swedish Krona 9bn, adding that the programme would continue till 2017.

According to her, the redundancy is being carried out across 180 countries where the company operates.

She explained that on July 19, the company announced actions to further save costs as well as intensify reductions in cost of sales activities and adapt its operations to a weaker mobile broadband market.

Egbebi added, “This means employees will be affected. The decision to offshore our service is in keeping with our global delivery strategy; certain work may be centralised into global delivery centres. This is to enable improved network availability and quality for consumers, and cost efficient network operations for operators.”

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via dipo.olowookere@businesspost.ng

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Jobs/Appointments

Sanwo-Olu Increases Salaries of Civil Servants in Lagos

Published

on

salaries of civil servants

By Adedapo Adesanya

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has announced an increase in the salaries of civil servants in Lagos State.

Speaking to a large crowd of workers at the Alausa office of the Head of Service (HoS) in Ikeja, the Governor stated that the announcement was coming at a time that the country and, more importantly, Lagos was preparing for the 2023 general election.

“Last month (September), I instructed the Head of Service, the Commissioner for Establishment, Training, and Pensions to work out modalities for a salary increase for the over 100,000 public service workforce,” Mr Sanwo-Olu said.

Although Mr Sanwo-Olu did not disclose the percentage increment for the public workers, the least civil servants in grade level 01- 06 earn N35,009 as minimum wage In Lagos.

Mr Sanwo-Olu said his administration was aware of the country’s inflation and high cost of living but assured that he was determined to cushion the effects on the workers.

He added that Lagos, touted as Nigeria’s commercial capital, can pay workers higher salaries, stressing that the state would continue to lead by example.

“In salary increments, we are leading again. We will reflect the popular Buga slogan in the payment of salaries. We will not wait for the federal government’s minimum wage increase.

“We have commenced the process. I can assure you that by early next year, it will be ready for implementation,” the Lagos governor added, noting, “We don’t want to wait for workers’ unions to hold us to ransom before we do the needful.”

Mr Sanwo-Olu also assured that his government would pay all the outstanding backlog of pensions to retirees by the end of this month.

He revealed that the state was clearing the entire backlog of pensions as they were liabilities met on the ground by his administration when it took over power.

“I want to reassure you that all the few outstanding backlogs of pensions will be sorted out this week and payment by the end of October. We are the highest and best paying in pensions in Nigeria,” Mr Sanwo-Olu added.

The federal government had said there were plans to increase the N30,000 minimum wage in light of inflation currently ravaging the country.

Critics have said the move is politically motivated as the incumbent governor will seek re-election to the Lagos seat of power for another four years.

Continue Reading

Jobs/Appointments

Umar-Sadiq Becomes New NSIA MD/CEO as Orji Leaves

Published

on

Aminu Umar-Sadiq

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Mr Aminu Umar-Sadiq has been appointed as the new Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA).

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Mr Umar-Sadiq, a statement from Mr Yunusa Tanko Abdullahi, the Special Adviser on Media and Communications to the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, confirmed on Tuesday, October 4, 2022.

Also appointed are two new executive directors for the agency, Mr Kolawole Owodunni and Mrs Bisi Makoju. They are all expected to help steer and transform the investment and infrastructure industry and propel the sector to a high pedestal.

Mr Umar-Sadiq was chosen to head the organisation following the expiration of the tenure of Mr Uche Orji on September 30, 2022. He was first appointed to the position on October 2, 2012. He served two terms of five years each.

Before becoming MD/CEO of NSIA, Mr Umar-Sadiq was an executive director and Head of Infrastructure. He obtained a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Engineering Sciences from the University of Oxford (Saint John’s College), Oxford, United Kingdom (UK). He is Archbishop Tutu Leadership Fellow (ATLF) and Mandela Washington Fellowship (MWF).

Mr Umar-Sadiq commenced his professional career in Mergers and Acquisitions M&A) focused on Infrastructure and Energy at Morgan Stanley Investment Bank, proceeding to Infrastructure-focused private equity at Denham Capital Management, all in the UK.

He has worked on several projects, including the Presidential Fertiliser Initiative, an import substitution program for delivering one million high-quality, lower-cost to farmers at lower cost metric tons of fertilizer.

He was also a part of the Presidential Infrastructure Development Fund, an investment fund focused on actualising five strategic nationwide projects in the transportation and power sectors. He has a vast experience in the investment and infrastructure industry.

On her part, Mrs Makoju is a financial expert with vast experience in financial risk management, while Mr Owodunni is a professional of 18 years standing in the financial services sector with an emphasis in investment management, risk management and treasury.

Continue Reading

Jobs/Appointments

Nigeria Ratifies ILO Convention on Violence, Harassment in Workplace

Published

on

harassment in workplace

By Adedapo Adesanya

President Muhammadu Buhari has signed the Instrument of Ratification for ILO Convention No.190 on Violence and Harassment.

Convention No. 190 is the first international labour standard to address violence and harassment in workplace. Together with Recommendation No. 206, it provides a common framework for action and a unique opportunity to shape a future of work based on dignity and respect.

These instruments will be key to achieving the objectives set by the ILO Centenary Declaration on the Future of Work, adopted in 2019, which clearly commits to a world of work free from violence and harassment.

Following his assent, the document is set to be deposited with the Director-General of the International Labour Organisation by the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment.

The Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Ms Kachollom Daju, confirmed this at the opening ceremony of a 2-day Regional Sensitization Workshop on ILO Convention No. 190 on Violence and Harassment and Eliminating Gender-Based Violence (GBV) in the Workplace for Professional Officers in the three Northern Geo-Political Zones.

Ms Daju noted that Nigeria is the fourth country in Africa and the eighth in the world to ratify the convention, adding that the ministry has already inserted prohibitions on violence and harassment, including sexual harassment, in the just concluded review exercise of the National Labour Bills.

She stated that the ratification comes with an enormous responsibility and reporting obligation for Nigeria. She called on labour officers in the states to put their best foot forward as they must implement, intercept and intervene in all cases of violence and harassment and other related unfair labour practices in all workplaces after the convention is domesticated.

“The Ministry’s Headquarters will also depend on you to generate and gather data that will be used to develop a comprehensive First Report of Nigeria’s implementation of the Convention to the ILO when the time comes,” she said.

The Permanent Secretary appreciated the ILO Regional Office in Abuja, and the International Labour Office, Geneva, for providing the technical support for the workshop and for its support in ensuring that Nigeria’s Labour Administration System operates in line with international best practices.

On her part, the Director, Productivity Measurement and Labour Standards, Mrs Juliana A. Adebambo, said that to facilitate wide spread and acceptance of the Convention, the Ministry, with technical support from the ILO, had convened a series of preliminary activities across the six Geo-Political zones in the country and the 2-day workshop was first in the lineup.

The opening Ceremony had in attendance very important dignitaries, including the Country Director of the ILO office for Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia and Sierra Leone, Mrs Vanessa Lerato Phala.

The convention affirms that everyone has the right to a world of work free from violence and harassment. It also provides for the first internationally agreed definition of violence and harassment in the world of work.

Continue Reading

Latest News on Business Post

Like Our Facebook Page

%d bloggers like this: