Mason Greenwood Agrees to Leave Manchester United
By Dipo Olowookere
England striker, Mason Greenwood, will not continue his footballing career at Old Trafford, a statement from Manchester United on Monday has confirmed.
The notice said both parties agreed to mutually end their contract.
Mason Greenwood was earlier accused of abusing his partner, which led to his suspension from the club, and triggered the involvement of the police.
However, the charges against Mason Greenwood were dropped, but the club continued with its internal investigation into the matter.
Last week, Manchester United released a statement, saying it was in the “final stages” of the probe, noting that the ultimate decision to include or exclude the player from the squad lies on the chief executive.
This afternoon, the football club announced that Mason Greenwood would not be playing for the team again, as he would be required to further his career “away from Old Trafford.”
A few weeks ago, a group of four female Manchester United fans protested against Mason Greenwood’s return to the club, threatening to withdraw their support for the football outfit if the player was absorbed into the team.
Though Manchester United admitted that its investigation did not find the player guilty of the offence he was accused of, it had to let him go because it was the “most appropriate for him.”
“Manchester United has concluded its internal investigation into the allegations made against Mason Greenwood.
“Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped. Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible.
“This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.
“Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged.
“That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.
“All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome,” the statement from the club said.