Connect with us

Banking

N75b Rights Issue: Access Bank Cancels Next Month’s EGM

Published

on

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The board of Access Bank Plc has announced the cancellation of the Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) earlier planned for next month.

The bank had fixed Friday, February 1, 2019 for shareholders of the company to meet to approve the proposed issuance of N75 billion rights issue.

In a notice to the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) on Monday, Access Bank said the meeting of shareholders will no longer hold as earlier scheduled.

Access Bank neither gave any reason for the cancellation nor revealed when the meeting will hold in the future.

However, the lender said, “We regret any inconvenience that this cancellation may cause our shareholders.”

The financial institution had earlier announced that the EGM would take place at Balmoral Convention Centre, Federal Palace Hotel, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos at 10.00 am.

The board of Access Bank wants shareholders’ approval to raise additional equity capital of up N75 billion via rights issue.

They also want the bank’s authorised share capital be increased from N20 billion made up of 38 billion ordinary shares of 50 kobo each and two billion preference shares of 50 kobo each to N35 billion by the creation of 30 billion ordinary shares of 50 kobo each.

The board are equally proposed to the shareholders that pursuant to the Memorandum of Agreement executed between Access Bank Plc and Diamond Bank Plc on the merger of the two entities, if the Rights Issue contemplated is undertaken prior to the implementation date of the merger, they be authorised by way of a Placing and subject to obtaining all requisite regulatory approvals, to offer to Diamond Bank shareholders shares in Access Bank to be purchased after the implementation date on the same term as the Rights Issue and in the same proportion that they would be entitled to as if they had already become shareholders of Access Bank Plc.

Modupe Gbadeyanka is a fast-rising journalist with Business Post Nigeria. Her passion for journalism is amazing. She is willing to learn more with a view to becoming one of the best pen-pushers in Nigeria. Her role models are the duo of CNN's Richard Quest and Christiane Amanpour.

Banking

LAPO Microfinance Bank Redeems N6.2bn Series 2 Bonds

Published

on

LAPO Microfinance Bank

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

The N6.2 billion series 2 fixed rate senior unsecured bonds issued by LAPO Microfinance Bank Limited in 2020 have been redeemed by the company.

The small lender repaid bondholders on the maturity of the corporate debt instrument, Business Post gathered.

The thick of the COVID-19 lockdown and economic meltdown, LAPO Microfinance Bank approached the capital market to source funds from investors at 13 per cent.

Due to the confidence investors have in the organisation as one of the top microfinance banks in Nigeria, the bond issuance was oversubscribed by N200 million.

The bank attributed this investor confidence to its “strong corporate governance and fundamentals.”

The financial institution did not disappoint as it fully paid the bond subscribers at maturity, further solidifying the trust investors have in the company.

When it sold the papers five years ago, the Managing Director said the N6.2 billion was to be used to “enhance our capacity to meet the needs of micro and small enterprises, especially actors in the rural economy.”

“The success of this journey is largely due to the support of African Local Currency Bond (ALCB) Fund (two-time anchor investor) and other parties to the Issue; FBN Quest Merchant Bank and Coronation Merchant Bank who served as Lead and Joint Issuing House/Book Runner.

“LAPO Microfinance Bank Limited is already standing by owners of micro and small enterprises who are determined to overcome the set-back of the COVID-19 pandemic. From January to July the microfinance bank delivered N59.4 billion to micro and small enterprises.”

After issuing the notes in 2020, LAPO Microfinance Bank took them for listing on the FMDQ Securities Exchange.

LAPO Microfinance is a leading microfinance bank in Nigeria, accounting for over 20 per cent of the market share.

The firm had wanted to raise N6 billion from the bond issuance under its N20 billion bond programme, but was oversubscribed by N200 million. A unit of the note was sold at N1,000 via book building, opening from Tuesday, February 10 and closing on Wednesday, February 19, 2020.

Continue Reading

Banking

Stanbic IBTC Bank Rewards 70 Lucky Winners in Reward4Saving Promo 4.0

Published

on

stanbiic ibtc bank 70 winners

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

Seventy lucky winners have emerged in the Season 4 of the Reward4Saving Promo put together by Stanbic IBTC Bank to foster a sustainable savings culture in Nigeria.

The beneficiaries were chosen at the fourth monthly draw of the campaign conducted in Lagos with keen oversight from regulatory representatives to ensure transparency and fairness.

Notable attendees included representatives of the Federal Competition & Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC); Advertising Regulatory Council of Nigeria (ARCON); and Lagos State Lotteries and Gaming Authority (LSLGA).

The 70 lucky winners were from the lender’s seven business zones; each winning N100,000 for maintaining a minimum savings balance of N10,000 in their Stanbic IBTC Savings Account or @ease Wallet. The balances were maintained for a minimum of 30 consecutive days.

Speaking during the draw, Oluwakemi Zollner, Head of Sales and Distribution, Lagos Mainland, stated, “Stanbic IBTC Bank is committed to rewarding loyal customers while enhancing the savings culture within society.

“The promo is open to both existing and new customers. By saving just N10,000 in your Stanbic IBTC Savings Account or @ease Wallet for 30 consecutive days, you qualify for the draw. More savings equal higher chances of winning.”

One of the recent winners, Ebinum Abosede, an entrepreneur, shared her emotional journey upon receiving her prize. “When I initially received the call, I was doubtful and thought it could be a scam. Even my daughter warned me against going. But now that I am here and have received my alert, I could not be happier. I just moved into a new house and was searching for funds to paint my apartment. Thank you to Stanbic IBTC Bank; I can finally give my new home a fresh coat of paint.”

The Reward4Saving Promo continues to create a buzz across Nigeria, inspiring individuals to practice financial discipline while being rewarded for their dedication. Through this initiative, Stanbic IBTC Bank celebrates the achievements of savers and strengthens its role in promoting financial inclusion and empowering local communities.

Since the commencement of the Reward4Saving Promo – Season 4, a total of 288 customers have shared in N37 million worth of cash rewards, with the total prize expected to reach N130 million by the conclusion of the initiative in April 2026.

With N93 million remaining in the prize pool, excitement continues to climb among customers of Stanbic IBTC Bank nationwide.

Continue Reading

Banking

GTCO Injects N365.9bn into GTBank to Meet CBN’s Capital Requirement

Published

on

GTBank dividend

By Adedapo Adesanya

Guaranty Trust Holding Company Plc (GTCO) has strengthened the capital base of its banking subsidiary, Guaranty Trust Bank Limited (GTBank), with a fresh equity injection of N365.85 billion through a rights issue.

According to a statement on the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited on Friday, the additional funding was raised under its two-phased equity capital programme approved by shareholders at its 2024 Annual General Meeting and implemented in line with approvals obtained from regulators.

As part of the transaction, it issued and allotted 6,994,050,290 ordinary shares of 50 Kobo each made by the bank to the company.

“The company continues to hold 100 per cent of the entire issued and paid-up share capital of the bank. None of the directors of the company have any interest, direct or indirect, in the bank,” the statement said.

With this capital injection, GTBank’s share capital has risen from N138.19 billion to N504.04 billion, positioning the lender in compliance with the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) new minimum capital requirement for banks with international authorisation.

Business Post reports that banks across various spreads have less around seven months to meet to the deadline set by the apex bank in late 2023.

According to the group, the fresh equity will be channelled into branch network expansion, growth of its loan and investment securities portfolio, and upgrades to its information technology infrastructure.

“The additional equity capital will be deployed by GTBank primarily for branch network expansion and asset growth (loans/advances and investment securities portfolio), fortification of its information technology infrastructure and to leverage emerging opportunities in Nigeria and the operating environments where it maintains banking presence,” the company said.

“The bank also plans to leverage the strengthened balance sheet to tap into emerging opportunities across Nigeria and the operating environments where it maintains banking presence,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

Trending