Connect with us

Banking

Wigwe Lauds Effectiveness of Access Bank 5-Year Strategy

Published

on

herbert wigwe Access Bank

By Dipo Olowookere

The group managing director of Access Bank Plc, Mr Herbert Wigwe, has disclosed that the 5-year business strategy deployed by the management has continued to show effectiveness.

Mr Wigwe said this in reaction to the strong performance of the financial institution last year despite a challenging economic and regulatory landscape caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Access Bank 2020 performance

In the year, the lender improved its gross earnings by 15 per cent to N764.7 billion from N666.8 billion achieved in the comparative period of 2019.

This was driven by significant improvement in the retail banking arm of the business.

In 2019, the financial institution merged with the defunct Diamond Bank, one of the leaders in the retail end. The transaction was entered into to make Access Bank one of the forces to reckon with in the segment and last year, the dividend of this deal was visible for the blind to see.

Business Post reports that the retail arm of the business recorded revenue of N177.2 billion in 2020, 64.4 per cent higher than the N107.8 billion achieved in the 2019 fiscal year.

This was buoyed by a 5.8 million growth in customer sign-on during the year, especially through the bank’s financial inclusion efforts.

As a result, the bank’s customer deposits grew by 31 per cent to N5.6 trillion with savings account deposits standing at N1.3 trillion.

Similarly, net loans and advances grew by 18 per cent to N3.6 trillion in comparison to its FY 2019 figures of N3.1 trillion.

At the close of business on December 31, 2020, Access Bank had a profit before tax of N125.9 billion, higher than N111.9 billion in 2019, while the profit after tax closed at N106.0 billion versus N94.1 billion a year earlier.

Dividend payout increased

To reward its shareholders, Access Bank Plc increased its final dividend payout for the year 2020 by 37.5 per cent or 15 kobo to 55 kobo from 40 kobo.

In the financial statements for the year ended December 31, 2020, the lender said it intends to pay a final dividend of 55 kobo on Friday, April 30, 2021, to shareholders whose names appear on the register of members as at the close of business on Thursday, April 15, 2021.

CEO speaks

Access Bank’s resilient performance “is testament to the effectiveness of our strategy and capacity to generate sustainable revenue,” Mr Wigwe was quoted as saying in a statement made available to Business Post.

According to him, “The strategic actions that the bank has taken over the past 12 months evidence a strong focus on retail banking and financial inclusion, an African expansion strategy and a drive for scale for sustainable value creation.”

The respected banker noted that, “In 2020, Access Bank proudly opened its doors for business in Kenya and Mozambique, further increasing our footprints across the African Continent.”

“Access Bank Zambia also concluded the acquisition of Cavmont Bank Limited in January 2021 and the group recently announced the approval by relevant regulatory authorities for the acquisition of Grobank Limited, creating an inroad into the South African market in the realization of the group’s strategic ambitions,” he added.

Mr Wigwe stated that, “In view of the opportunities that exist in the market, we will be transitioning to a HoldCo structure.”

Already, an approval-in-principle has been received by Access Bank from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for the restructuring and the new entity will consist of four subsidiaries in order to tap into the market opportunities that are available in the consumer lending market, electronic payments industry and retail insurance market.

“Going into the fourth year of our 5-year cyclical strategy, our focus remains on consolidating our retail momentum and expanding our African footprint in a sustainable manner,” Mr Wigwe said.

As the bank intensified its recovery efforts, it undertook significant write-off and leveraged its robust risk management practices. As a result, its asset quality improved to 4.3 per cent compared to its 2019 report of 5.8 per cent and this is expected to continue to trend downwards as it strives to surpass the standard it had built in the industry prior to the merger with Diamond Bank.

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Banking

Polaris Bank Embeds Gift Card Feature in VULTe

Published

on

VULTe Gift Card

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

A new Gift Card feature has been added to the digital lifestyle platform of Polaris Bank Limited, known as VULTe.

The gift card catalogue includes leading brands and platforms such as Amazon, SureGift, Visa and MasterCard Prepaid Cards, iTunes and Apple, Google Play, Steam, Razer Gold, Netflix, Spotify, Starbucks, and PaySafeCard, covering everything from physical goods and digital content to subscriptions, gaming, and everyday essentials.

This feature allows for a faster and smarter way for users to send love, appreciation, and rewards across borders, enabling customers to deliver global brand gift cards to family and friends anywhere in the world in seconds.

Designed for speed, security, and everyday relevance, the feature allows users to choose from a wide range of international and local brands spanning groceries, beauty and wellness, fashion, electronics, entertainment, gaming, and lifestyle services, all seamlessly accessible on VULTe.

Whether it is paying for a Netflix subscription in London, sending Spotify Premium to a friend in Accra, gifting a Starbucks coffee in New York, or helping a loved one shop at Amazon or Shoprite, VULTe’s Gift Card feature transforms digital transfers into meaningful real-world experiences, powered by Polaris Bank’s secure digital infrastructure.

Users log in to VULTe, select Lifestyle, choose Gift Card, pick a preferred brand, enter the amount and recipient’s email, confirm the transaction, and authorise with their PIN. The gift card is delivered instantly, removing shipping delays, currency barriers, and geographic limitations.

With this feature on VULTe, Polaris Bank reinforces its commitment to digital innovation and lifestyle banking, positioning VULTe as a bridge between financial services and everyday global experiences, enabling customers to turn simple moments into meaningful connections delivered instantly, securely, and without borders.

Continue Reading

Banking

Sterling Bank, AltBank Meet Full Recapitalisation After N153bn Injection

Published

on

sterling bank logo

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The banking subsidiaries of Sterling Financial Holdings Company Plc, Sterling Bank and The Alternative Bank (AltBank), have met the full recapitalisation requirements of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

The chief executive of Sterling Holdings, Mr Yemi Odubiyi, said the recapitalisation strengthens the group’s ability to support economic activity while maintaining financial resilience.

“This exercise goes beyond regulatory compliance. It positions us to expand credit responsibly, accelerate innovation, and provide sustained support to businesses and households, while maintaining the discipline required in a challenging operating environment,” he said.

Mr Odubiyi noted that fully capitalising both Sterling Bank and The Alternative Bank reinforces the organisation’s dual-bank structure and its ability to serve conventional and non-interest segments.

“Our structure enables efficient deployment of capital across complementary markets and positions us to respond with agility to evolving customer needs,” he said, adding that strong investor participation across the capital programmes reflects confidence in the group’s governance and long-term strategy.

He further pointed out that the strengthened balance sheet provides a platform for the company’s next phase of growth.

“We are entering this phase from a position of significant financial strength, with the capacity to scale non-banking businesses, deepen digital capabilities, and pursue disciplined expansion opportunities while delivering sustainable value for shareholders,” Mr Odubiyi said.

Sterling Holdings achieved this feat after raising fresh capital between December 2024 and October 2025, positioning itself well ahead of the 2026 industry deadline.

In December 2024, it completed a N75 billion private placement, raising N73.86 billion in net proceeds. Of this amount, N68.8 billion was allocated to Sterling Bank and N5 billion to The Alternative Bank, strengthening the capital base of both institutions.

This was followed by a N28.79 billion rights issue, which was oversubscribed by N10.29 billion. Regulatory approvals in May 2025 enabled the allotment of N26.639 billion under the rights issue, with the oversubscription restructured into a private placement, enabling AltBank to meet the capital requirement for non-interest banks with national licences.

Sterling HoldCo further strengthened its capital position through an N88 billion public offer in October 2025, which recorded an oversubscription. The CBN has cleared the full amount of N96.69 billion for recognition as additional capital, while the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) approved the allotment of 13,812,239,000 shares.

In total, the group injected N153 billion into Sterling Bank and The Alternative Bank, bringing both institutions into full compliance with the revised capital requirements.

Continue Reading

Banking

SERAP Sues CBN Over Alleged Missing N3trn

Published

on

SERAP

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has filed a lawsuit against the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for failing to account for N3 trillion in public funds, alleged to be missing or diverted.

The lawsuit followed the grave allegations contained in the latest annual report by the Auditor-General of the Federation, published on September 9, 2025. It includes over N629 billion paid to ‘unknown beneficiaries’ as part of the Anchor Borrowers’ Programme.

In the suit number FHC/ABJ/CS/250/2026 filed last week at the Federal High Court in Abuja, SERAP is seeking: “an order of mandamus to direct and compel the CBN to account for and explain the whereabouts of the missing or diverted N3 trillion of public funds, including detailed reports of how exactly the funds were spent.”

In the suit, SERAP argued that, “These grim allegations by the Auditor-General suggest grave violations of the public trust, the provisions of the Nigerian Constitution 1999 [as amended], the CBN Act, and anticorruption standards.”

SERAP is arguing that, “These grave violations also reflect a failure of CBN accountability more generally and are directly linked to the institution’s persistent failure to comply with its Act and to uphold the principles of transparency and accountability.”

According to SERAP, “These violations have seriously undermined the ability of the CBN to effectively discharge its statutory functions and the public trust and confidence in the bank. The CBN ought to be committed to transparency and accountability in its operations.”

SERAP is also arguing that, “Nigerians have the right to know the whereabouts of the missing or diverted public funds. Granting the reliefs sought would advance the right of Nigerians to restitution, compensation and guarantee of non-repetition.”

The suit filed on behalf of SERAP by its lawyers: Ms Oluwakemi Agunbiade and Ms Valentina Adegoke, read in part: “According to the Auditor-General, the CBN in 2022 failed to remit over N1 trillion [N1,445,593,400,000.00] of ‘the Federal Government’s portion of operating surplus’ into the Consolidated Revenue Fund (CRF) account.”

“The Auditor-General fears that the money may have been ‘diverted.’ He wants the money recovered and remitted to the treasury.”

“The CBN also failed to recover over N629 billion [N629,040,000,000.00] paid to ‘unknown beneficiaries’ as part of the Anchor Borrowers’ Programme, a programme ‘meant to support farmers to ensure sustainable food production in the country,’” it said.

SERAP noted that the Auditor-General raised serious concerns over financial management at the apex bank, citing unaccounted intervention funds and unrecovered loans running into hundreds of billions of naira.

The report noted that the number of beneficiaries who collected certain disbursed funds remains unknown and that efforts to recover the money have been inadequate. Over N784.4 billion in unpaid and overdue loans issued between 2018 and May 2022 remain outstanding, with fears that diversion of funds may have worsened food security challenges. The Auditor-General has called for full recovery and remittance of the funds to the treasury.

The report also questions over N125.37 billion spent by the CBN in 2022 on intervention activities allegedly linked to national security, federal and state government engagements, and financial sector capacity building. According to the Auditor-General, there was no documentary evidence to support the expenditure, nor proof of approval by the National Assembly. He warned that the spending may not align with Section 2 of the CBN Act and could have been diverted, again urging that the funds be recovered and paid into the treasury.

Further scrutiny revealed that the CBN “unjustifiably” spent N1.79 billion on 43 operational vehicles for the Nigeria Immigration Service, despite no clear connection to the Bank’s statutory mandate and no evidence of delivery or procurement documentation. Additionally, 43 contracts worth over N189.5 billion allegedly suffered deliberate delays, leading to irregular contract variations of over N9.27 billion without proper records. The Katsina branch of the CBN also failed to recover over N90 million in COVID-19 intervention loans to SMEs.

In each case, SERAP noted that the Auditor-General expressed concern that the funds may have been diverted or mismanaged and demanded recovery and remittance to the treasury.

Continue Reading

Trending