Connect with us

Brands/Products

Canal+ Raises Buyout Offer for MultiChoice

Published

on

CANAL+ MultiChoice

By Adedapo Adesanya 

French media company, Canal+, has made a mandatory offer to buy all the shares of South African broadcaster, MultiChoice, for around 55 billion Rand ($2.9 billion), a statement on Monday confirmed this.

The new offer price is almost 67 per cent higher than the MultiChoice share price just before its first offer of 105 Rand per share was rebuffed by the Multichoice board as too low in February.

The deal, if achieved, would create a pan-African broadcasting powerhouse able to put African content to global audiences as well as compete on an international scale.

The French media company has a broad reach in French-speaking African nations, while MultiChoice has a stronger presence in English-speaking countries, including South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya. Last month, it acquired a stake in Senegalese internet broadcaster, Marodi.

MultiChoice also chose Standard Bank as an independent expert to give an opinion on the offer, agreeing to cooperate in ensuring its implementation.

Canal+ operates in 50 countries across Europe, Africa and Asia, directly serving 8 million customers in Africa. It had about 25 million subscribers as of its 2023 year, while MultiChoice had 23.5 million. Both have serious ambitions for Africa and have acknowledged that scale is necessary to take on US giants such as Disney and Netflix.

“Canal+’s ambition is to build a global entertainment leader, with Africa at its heart, combining scale, complementary geographies, integrated and international reach with strong local roots, that will support the commercial development of Africa’s sporting and cultural industries and take leading and authentic African stories to a global audience,” it said on Monday.

“This long-term vision has its foundation in Canal+’s extensive and successful 30-year history of investing in African creative and sports broadcasting markets.”

Vivendi, the parent company of Canal+, is also currently undertaking a feasibility study for the proposed split of the company into several separately listed entities, first announced in December.

Should a planned European listing proceed, there will be an opportunity for South African investors to become shareholders of the combined entity as part of a secondary inward listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE), the company said.

Canal+ added on Monday it understood the imperative of broad-based black economic empowerment, and upon implementation, it intends to support MultiChoice in its continued efforts of transformation of its South African business. This is usually also a condition imposed by SA’s competition regulators, whose approval is required, while a circular for the offer will be released in due course.

Complicating matters had been SA laws that place limitations on foreign ownership of local broadcast licences. This means Canal+ can increase its shareholding in MultiChoice to any level, but its voting rights are limited to a maximum of 20 per cent.

Canal+ also increased its stake in the group to over 35 per cent, which is a threshold that triggers a mandatory offer.

However, given the voting cap, the South African Takeover Regulation Panel was then asked to make a ruling, finding in February that Canal+ must. Following an extension, it was given until 8 April to make its mandatory offer.

MultiChoice has also granted exclusivity to Canal+, which entails not engaging with other competing parties. However, should a better, unsolicited proposal be received, Canal+ will have the opportunity to revise its offer.

“Following constructive engagement with MultiChoice, we are pleased to have issued a joint firm intention announcement to make an offer today, representing a significant premium for the shareholders of MultiChoice,” Canal+ chair and CEO Maxime Saada said in a statement.

“Canal+ is confident in making this offer, at a level which far exceeds the minimum required by regulation, due to the incredible future we believe that Canal+ and MultiChoice can build together,” he said.

“We are excited about these opportunities, which will be supported by further investment in technology, including the continued offering of a leading satellite service, and rolling out more innovative streaming products.”

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Brands/Products

Airtel Africa Launches Starlink Mobile in DRC

Published

on

Airtel Starlink Mobile

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The first commercial deployment of satellite-to-mobile service in Africa has been launched by Airtel Africa in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

This was made possible through the partnership between Airtel Africa and Starlink, enabling customers of Airtel with compatible smartphones to access connectivity in non-terrestrial areas wherever they can see the sky.

Starlink, the world’s largest satellite-to-mobile constellation with 650 launched satellites, enables light-data apps, including WhatsApp messaging, as well as SMS. Customers do not require specialised equipment or a separate device to access the service.

To use the service, customers must have a compatible LTE Android smartphone, an active Airtel DRC data bundle or data roaming switched on. In the future, the service will also be supported on Apple devices.

Recall that the journey to this milestone began when Airtel Africa and Starlink sealed a strategic partnership in December 2025. This was followed by the successful testing of Starlink Mobile data and messaging services in Kenya in March 2026. DRC is the first Airtel Africa market – and the first country in Africa – where the service has progressed to commercial deployment.

The service is expected to be particularly valuable to people and organisations operating in remote areas, including transport and logistics operators, humanitarian organisations, health workers, farmers, mining operations and communities beyond the reach of existing terrestrial networks. It will also support access to essential communications during emergencies, natural disasters and temporary terrestrial network disruptions.

Eligible customers can register through the MyAirtel App to receive free trial access to the service for an introductory 30-day period. Customers travelling to DRC and joining Airtel DRC can also register for the trial after activating an eligible service and downloading the MyAirtel App.

Following the introductory period, customers will continue accessing Starlink Mobile through eligible Airtel data bundles.

“The first-ever commercial launch of Starlink Mobile in Africa is a significant milestone for Airtel Africa through our partnership with SpaceX.

“By combining Airtel’s terrestrial network with Starlink’s satellite technology, we are extending essential connectivity beyond the limits of conventional mobile infrastructure.

“The DRC is leading this important development, and the experience gained here will support the progressive expansion of the service across our markets, subject to country-specific regulatory approvals,” the chief executive of Airtel Africa, Mr Sunil Taldar, stated.

Also commenting, the chief executive of Airtel DRC, Mr Theirry Diasnoma, said, “The commercial launch of Starlink Mobile is an important step in extending essential connectivity across the DRC. Our country’s size and geography mean that many people live, work and travel beyond the reach of conventional mobile infrastructure.

“This service provides an additional layer of connectivity, helping customers remain reachable, informed and connected even in areas where terrestrial coverage is unavailable.”

Continue Reading

Brands/Products

Jumia Raises $50m in IFC-Led Funding to Drive African E-Commerce Growth

Published

on

Jumia

By Adedapo Adesanya

African e-commerce platform Jumia has secured $50 million in post-IPO equity financing, led by a $25 million investment from the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, as the company strengthens its financial position and accelerates its path to profitability.

The funding round, which also attracted existing major shareholders and selected new investors, comes as Jumia reported strong operational growth in the second quarter of 2026 and reaffirmed its target of achieving adjusted EBITDA breakeven in the fourth quarter of the year and profitability in 2027.

Jumia’s Q2 performance showed continued momentum across its core markets. Revenue increased 14 per cent year-on-year to $52 million, while gross merchandise value (GMV) rose 20 per cent to $216.3 million. Orders grew 28 per cent, quarterly active customers increased 24 per cent, and gross profit climbed 28 per cent to $30.7 million.

The company also reduced its adjusted EBITDA loss by 36 per cent to $8.7 million, pointing to improving operating efficiency as it works towards sustained profitability.

Nigeria emerged as one of Jumia’s strongest-performing markets during the quarter, with GMV rising 36 per cent and orders increasing 34 per cent year-on-year.

The company also recorded a 96 per cent increase in gross items sold from international sellers, driven by an expanding base of Chinese merchants and growing affordable fashion supplies from Turkey.

The new capital comes at a critical stage in Jumia’s turnaround strategy. Its liquidity position stood at $48.3 million at the end of the quarter, representing a $14.3 million decline during the period. The additional funding is therefore expected to strengthen its runway as the company moves towards its 2026 breakeven target.

Beyond strengthening Jumia’s balance sheet, the IFC investment is expected to expand economic opportunities across the markets where the company operates.

The World Bank Group said the investment could enable about 60,000 local active sellers annually to participate more fully in the digital economy, support approximately 1,800 direct jobs and create income-generating opportunities for more than 100,000 independent sales agents.

The IFC said the investment would support Jumia’s next phase of growth by strengthening its integrated marketplace and logistics network, while expanding access to digital commerce tools and services for businesses across Africa.

According to the development finance institution, stronger digital commerce infrastructure can help entrepreneurs and small businesses increase sales, improve productivity, access wider markets and connect consumers with a broader range of affordable products.

“The support of the World Bank Group is a milestone for Jumia and for African e-commerce more broadly,” Jumia Chief Executive Officer, Mr Francis Dufay, said.

He added that the investment validates the company’s efforts to improve its business discipline while recognising its impact on small businesses, jobs and consumers across its eight markets.

“With partners like the IFC, we can accelerate the digital commerce infrastructure Africa needs,” Mr Dufay said.

IFC Director for Equity, Funds, and Venture Capital, Mr Farid Fezoua, said Jumia demonstrates how pan-African e-commerce platforms can expand economic opportunities at scale.

“Our investment supports the company’s next phase of growth while contributing to creating jobs, digitising supply chains and distribution channels, and mobilising private investment,” Mr Fezoua said.

Jumia, however, continues to face operational pressures, including supply disruptions affecting phones and electronics, higher fuel costs and weaker demand in Ivory Coast amid falling cocoa prices.

The company also exited Algeria earlier in 2026, while its continued shift from first-party to third-party sales is changing its revenue structure.

Continue Reading

Brands/Products

Airtel Nigeria Expands Retail Footprint with 350 New Experience Centres

Published

on

Airtel Nigeria SIM update

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

As part of efforts to expand its national retail footprint, Airtel Nigeria has rolled out 350 of the planned 500 premium experience centres designed to bring faster, more convenient service closer to millions of Nigerians.

Built as compact, high-efficiency touchpoints, the newly launched shops are designed to enable subscribers complete all transactions such as Home Broadband, Fibre and Outdoor Units Subscription, Postpaid Plan Subscription, Enterprise Applications Enquiry and Subscription, as well as Prepaid Product services such as SIM registration and Data Plan purchase, other enquiries and comprehensive account support.

They have been integrated into Airtel Nigeria’s broader customer experience agenda, which have seen the company continue to invest in digital self-service platforms, AI-powered customer support, nationwide customer forums, and significant network expansion across the country.

The rollout emphasises the organisation’s continued investment in customer experience and responds directly to feedback from customers seeking quicker access to everyday services without the longer waiting times that may be associated with larger retail centres.

At a symbolic launch held at City Mall, Onikan, Lagos, the Director of Sales and Distribution for Airtel Nigeria, Mr Joypratip Sengupta, said, “Our goal is to demonstrate our dedication to exceptional quality of service, and these new shops, by their design, location, and equipment fit right within our goal to deliver superior service to every one of our customers.”

He added that the expansion reflects Airtel Nigeria’s belief that excellent customer experience goes beyond technology to ensuring customers can receive support whenever and wherever they need it.

“Our business at Airtel is to ensure that we bring our services closer to our customers, and everything we do is centred on putting the customer first. These experience centres are open to help customers carry out their transactions faster and with greater ease.

“Whether you want to replace a SIM, purchase one of our routers, recharge airtime or data, or resolve any service issue, you can now do so more conveniently and closer to where you are,” he further stated

He explained that the initiative represents a significant update to Airtel’s retail strategy, placing greater emphasis on accessibility, speed, and convenience.

“These express shops are designed to reduce traffic at our larger shops while giving customers faster access to the services they need. More importantly, they reinforce our vision of building the most accessible customer service network in Nigeria. As the telecom operator with the country’s largest retail footprint, we will continue expanding into more neighbourhoods, making it easier for customers to connect with Airtel wherever they are,” Mr Sengupta noted.

In her remarks at the launch, the Head of Shops and Retail Postpaid Business at Airtel Nigeria, Ms Lynda Amechi, disclosed that the new retail model was born from listening to customers and reimagining how Airtel delivers its services.

“At Airtel, some of our best ideas come directly from our customers. One of the recurring concerns we received was the time customers sometimes spent waiting at our larger experience centres, even when they only needed simple transactions completed.

“We listened carefully and realised that many of these requests could be resolved within minutes if we brought our services closer to the communities where customers live and work.” She said.

Continue Reading