Connect with us

Economy

Oil Slides as Saudi Hints Possible OPEC Output Cut

Published

on

OPEC Daily Basket

By Adedapo Adesanya

Oil traded low on Monday as markets weighed Saudi Arabia’s warning that the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and allies (OPEC+) could cut output against the possibility of a nuclear deal that could return sanctioned Iranian oil to the market.

Brent crude futures settled at $96.48 per barrel after declining by 24 cents or 0.25 per cent as the United States West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude went down by 54 cents or 0.6 per cent to $90.23.

Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman said OPEC+ has the commitment, flexibility, and means to deal with challenges and provide guidance including cutting production at any time and in different forms.

He said the group stands ready to cut output to correct a recent oil price decline driven by poor futures market liquidity and macro-economic fears, which have ignored extremely tight physical crude supply.

OPEC+ agreed to increase output by 648,000 barrels per day each in July and August as they fully unwind nearly 10 million barrels per day of cuts implemented in May 2020 to counter the COVID-19 pandemic.

The group agreed earlier this month to raise production quotas by another 100,000 barrels per day in September as it faced pressure from major consumers including the US which is keen to cool prices.

Only Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are believed to have spare capacity and the ability to increase production in a meaningful way.

Meanwhile, the leaders of the United States, Britain, France, and Germany discussed efforts to revive the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, the White House said on Sunday, which could allow sanctioned Iranian oil to return to global markets.

Also, the US Federal Reserve is expected to raise rates by 50 basis points in September amid expectations inflation has peaked and growing recession worries in the world’s largest oil-consuming nation.

Also pressuring prices were worries over slowing fuel demand in China, the world’s largest oil importer, partly because of a power crunch in the southwest.

The world’s largest importer cut its benchmark lending rate on Monday as part of measures to revive an economy affected by a property crisis and a resurgence of COVID-19 cases.

The Dollar index rose to a five-week high on Monday. A stronger greenback is generally bearish as it makes it more expensive for buyers with other currencies in the dollar-denominated oil market.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Economy

Oando Reports Windfall as Buyers Shift from Middle East Oil

Published

on

oando stocks

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigerian energy giant, Oando Plc, says it is reporting rising revenues as global crude buyers increasingly turn away from the volatile Middle East in search of safer supply sources.

According to the chief executive of Oando, Mr Wale Tinubu, the crisis around the Strait of Hormuz has damaged the Gulf region’s long-standing reputation as the world’s safest and most reliable oil-producing hub, leading to demand elsewhere.

Speaking in a recent interview on the sidelines of the Africa CEO Forum in Kigali, Rwanda, Mr Tinubu disclosed that Oando is already benefiting financially from the geopolitical tensions.

“We are certainly getting a windfall increase in our revenues,” Mr Tinubu said.

According to him, mounting security concerns around the Strait of Hormuz have forced buyers to reconsider their dependence on Middle Eastern crude. The waterway accounts for around 20 per cent of global crude and liquified natural gas (LNG) flows, mostly to Asian markets.

“The Middle Eastern premium you got from being a stable environment to produce hydrocarbons has been shattered,” he added.

The conflict is rapidly reshaping global energy trade flows, with African producers, particularly Nigeria, emerging as alternative suppliers at a time of heightened uncertainty in the Gulf.

Indonesia recently took in some Nigeria crude to cushion against the impact that disruptions are having on fuel supplies.

Mr Tinubu said Oando is rolling out a seven-well drilling campaign aiming to add 10,000 barrels per day by the end of the year.

Oando is also looking to raise up to $750 million to execute a 100-well onshore drilling campaign, aiming to triple its oil and gas output from 32,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day to nearly 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

According to Mr Tinubu, global supply shocks have created highly favourable conditions for securing financing and expanding operations to meet supply gaps.

Continue Reading

Economy

Otedola Plans $100m Stake in Dangote Refinery Private Placement

Published

on

otedola dangote

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigerian billionaire investor, Mr Femi Otedola, has announced plans to invest $100 million in the Dangote Refinery, which plans to list later this year.

Mr Otedola disclosed this on Wednesday after leading a delegation of top executives from First HoldCo on a visit to the Dangote refinery.

“On a personal note, I’ve appealed to him (Aliko Dangote). I’ve been here with him 25 times, so my compensation is he’s going to allocate to me shares worth $100 million in the private placement,” the billionaire said.

Mr Otedola had previously denied that he had any stake or funded the construction of a 650,000 barrels per day facility.

The announcement marks his next big move after increasing his stake in First Holdco as well as buying a $10 million property in London.

Mr Dangote last year said the refinery could sell up to 10 per cent stake in the listing, which is valued at about $5 billion. It is aiming for a valuation of up to $50 billion for Dangote refinery.

The billionaire is planning to make the IPO a cross-border listing to enable the refinery to draw investments from domestic and international investors.

Mr Dangote, this week, said the IPO is designed to democratise wealth creation and give Africans direct access to participate in the continent’s industrial transformation.

On his part, Mr Dangote, president of the Dangote Group, says the company is targeting a private placement of about $2 billion for the refinery.

While the actual date for the IPO is yet to be announced, Mr Otedola’s early investment indicates value and could spur other high-net-worth individuals to show interest.

Mr Otedola, an ally of Mr Dangote, led top executives of First HoldCo on a tour of the refinery and the fertiliser plants in the Lekki free trade zone area.

The team also visited key project sites such as the jetty, a facility built by Dangote industries to receive large vessels.

Continue Reading

Economy

11 Plc, CSCS Drive NASD Market Higher by 0.32%

Published

on

11 Plc

By Adedapo Adesanya

The NASD Over-the-Counter (OTC) Securities Exchange further chalked up 0.32 per cent on Wednesday, May 20, spurred by price appreciation in 11 Plc, and Central Securities and Clearing System (CSCS) Plc.

11 Plc, which used to be known as Mobil, added N22.11 to sell at N243.21 per unit compared with the previous day’s N221.10 per unit, and CSCS Plc gained N1.19 to trade at N71.81 per share versus Tuesday’s N70.62 per share.

The growth posted by the duo raised the market capitalisation by N8.04 billion to N2.495 trillion from N2.487 trillion, and lifted the NASD Unlisted Security Index (NSI) by 13.44 points to 4,171.19 points from 4,157.75 points.

Yesterday, there were two price losers, led by Nipco Plc, which shed N22.60 to close at N287.00 per unit compared with the preceding day’s N309.60 per unit, and FrieslandCampina Wamco, which lost 84 Kobo to sell for N150.95 per share, in contrast to the N151.79 per share it was traded a day earlier.

The volume of trades recorded at midweek dipped by 99.9 per cent to 2.3 million units from 1.9 billion units, the value of transactions fell by 93.7 per cent to N334.2 million from the preceding session’s N5.3 billion, and the number of deals went down by 43.3 per cent to 34 deals from 60 deals.

Great Nigeria Insurance (GNI) Plc remained the most active stock by value on a year-to-date basis, with 3.4 billion units worth N8.4 billion, trailed by Infrastructure Credit Guarantee (Infracredit) Plc with 2.3 billion sold for N6.5 billion, and CSCS Plc with 60.9 million units exchanged for N4.1 billion.

GNI Plc also closed the session as the most traded stock by volume on a year-to-date basis, with 3.4 billion units worth N8.4 billion, followed by Infracredit Plc with 2.3 billion units valued at N6.5 billion, and Resourcery Plc with 1.1 billion units traded for N415.7 million.

Continue Reading

Trending