General
Google Suspends 5.6 million Advertiser Accounts, Blocks 3.4 billion Ads

By Dipo Olowookere
A new report has revealed that Google has continued to prioritise the safety of its users over money, blocking some harmful advert materials placed on its platform by advertisers.
In the 2021 Ads Safety Report, Google said in the period under review, it removed over 3.4 billion bad ads as part of efforts to ensure that its users are exposed to safe adverts while surfing the internet.
It was further stated that over 5.6 million advertiser accounts were suspended by Google, while 1.7 billion ads were restricted from serving on publisher pages, with broader site-level enforcement action taken on approximately 63,000 publisher sites.
The report also said the firm introduced new tools and resources to help advertisers and publishers protect their brands and campaigns, including a new feature that allows brands to upload lists that can be automatically updated and maintained by trusted third parties.
“We also released several resources to help publishers moderate user-generated content and made targeted improvements to the publisher approval process to detect better and block bad actors,” a part of the report noted.
Business Post Google reports that Google has remained a platform for internet users, advertisers, and publishers. Different people of all ages approach the platform for knowledge and also to showcase their products and services.
This has forced various governments to take action to limit what their citizens are exposed to, as well as the safety of their personal data. Google understands this and has also taken actions to ensure that its users are very safe when on its platform.
In the report, it was disclosed that in the last five years, search interest in private browsing has increased by +60% in Nigeria, +30% in South Africa, and +110% in Kenya, with the figures increasing in 2022.
In October of last year, the company launched My Ad Center globally, allowing anyone to see and control how their data is used to show them ads on Search, Discover and YouTube. This allows users to choose to see less of the ads they don’t want to see (and if they want, more ads they’re interested in), creating a win-win situation for both users and advertisers. With less waste, more satisfied customers, and more effective campaigns, privacy-safe advertising is a win-win for everyone.
In addition to these efforts, Google also announced the Privacy Sandbox initiative, an initiative developed in partnership with the advertising industry that aims to create a more private internet.
It is designed to reduce tracking across websites and apps while still allowing for free access to online content and services.
The initiative involves building new technology to protect personal information, providing alternative options for publishers and developers, and establishing new internet privacy standards.
The Privacy Sandbox for the Web will phase out the use of third-party cookies and limit covert tracking. It will also provide safer alternatives for publishers to use to protect personal data and continue their digital business.
“At Google, we are committed to making the ad-supported web a safer and more private place for everyone in Africa.
“We believe that by giving people control over their data and investing in privacy-safe advertising, we can secure a future for the ad-supported web that benefits everyone,” the Managing Director for Africa at Google, Mr Nitin Gajria, stated.
General
CNPP Hails Removal of Mele Kyari as NNPC Chief, Seeks Forensic Audit

By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The umbrella body of all registered political parties and political associations in the country, the Conference of Nigeria Political Parties (CNPP), has praised President Bola Tinubu for firing Mr Mele Kyari as the chief executive of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, and replacing him with Mr Bashir Bayo Ojulari.
In the wee hours of Wednesday, April 2, 2025, Mr Tinubu announced the removal of Mr Kyari from office in a statement signed by his spokesman, Mr Bayo Onanuga.
Reacting to the sacking of the erstwhile NNPC chief, the CNPP said the next step is for President Tinubu to order a forensic audit of the state-owned oil organisation to rebuild trust in Nigeria’s oil sector.
In a statement signed by its Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Mr James Ezema, the group noted that the removal of Mr Kyari is a vital step toward restoring accountability, efficiency, and transparency in a sector that has long been shrouded in allegations of corruption and mismanagement, adding that Nigerians have endured years of economic hardship fueled by inefficiencies and alleged large-scale corruption within NNPC.
It noted that these challenges have exacerbated the country’s struggles, with high transportation costs contributing to soaring food prices that have burdened millions of families.
According to the CNPP, this bold move by the President signals a readiness to confront deep-seated issues in Nigeria’s petroleum industry.
The organisation emphasised that merely replacing Mr Kyari is insufficient to address the root causes of the oil sector’s problems, reiterating its long-standing demand for a thorough forensic audit of NNPC’s operations during his tenure.
It emphasized that without such an investigation, the new management would inherit a foundation weakened by years of alleged financial irregularities, inefficiencies, and questionable practices.
The CNPP has raised serious concerns about the management of NNPC under Mr Kyari, asserting that the Nigerian people deserve transparency and accountability regarding the operations of the national oil company.
The group urged President Tinubu to authorize an independent forensic audit covering all aspects of NNPC’s accounts, crude oil sales, and subsidy disbursements during his tenure, arguing that this audit is crucial not only for understanding the extent of mismanagement but also for implementing reforms that will stabilize the oil.
In its statement, the CNPP underscored the critical importance of Nigeria’s oil industry to the nation’s economy, warning that without urgent and radical reforms, the suffering of Nigerians would persist. It called on anti-corruption agencies, civil society organizations, and the National Assembly to support its demand for justice, urging all stakeholders to play an active role in ensuring accountability within NNPCL.
The group affirmed its commitment to monitoring developments in the oil sector and holding all stakeholders accountable to the Nigerian people.
“The oil sector cannot remain a black hole where billions of dollars disappear without accountability. The time to act is now,” it declared.
General
Customs Debunks Comptroller General Adewale Adeniyi Tenure Extension Rumour

By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nigeria Customs Service has debunked the widespread reports about the alleged tenure extension of the Comptroller General of Customs, Mr Adewale Adeniyi.
In a statement on Tuesday, Mr. Abdullahi Maiwada, the customs spokesman, said that the news was inaccurate and misleading.
He stated that the appointments and tenure extensions of the CGC are made solely at the discretion of the President, in line with the provisions of the NCS Act 2023 and other relevant regulations governing public service appointments.
“The attention of the NCS has been drawn to a fake release allegedly from the State House regarding an extension of the tenure of the CGC, Adewale Adeniyi. The NCS wishes to categorically state that this information is inaccurate and misleading,” Mr Maiwada said.
Mr Maiwada noted that at the moment, no such directive has been communicated to the NCS by the appropriate authorities.
He emphasised that the leadership of the service remains focused on fulfilling its statutory mandate of trade facilitation, revenue generation, and border security.
Under the guidance of the current CGC, Mr Maiwada explained the NCS has continued to implement key reforms aimed at, “modernising customs operations, strengthening inter-agency collaboration, and enhancing national economic growth.”
The customs spokesperson called on the public and all stakeholders to rely only on official channels for accurate information regarding the NCS. He added that updates regarding appointments or tenure decisions will be formally communicated through the appropriate government authorities.
“The service appreciates the continued support of stakeholders and remains committed to transparency, professionalism, and service to the nation,” he said.
General
Tinubu to Appraise Performance, Assess Key Milestones in France

By Modupe Gbadeyanka
President Bola Tinubu will travel to Paris, France for a two-week working visit to appraise his administration’s midterm performance and assess key milestones.
This information was revealed on Wednesday by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Mr Bayo Onanuga.
In a statement issued today, it was disclosed that Mr Tinubu would “use the retreat to review the progress of ongoing reforms and engage in strategic planning ahead of his administration’s second anniversary.”
“This period of reflection will inform plans to deepen ongoing reforms and accelerate national development priorities in the coming year,” another part of the statement said.
President Tinubu assumed office on May 29, 2023, and has since introduced some reforms that have been tagged harsh, including the removal of subsidies on premium motor spirit (PMS), otherwise known as petrol, and the liberalisation of the foreign exchange (FX) market.
These two policies have triggered inflationary pressures in the country, with some citizens struggling to survive because of the harsh economic environment.
In the statement today, it was stated that recent economic strides reinforce the President’s commitment to these efforts, as evidenced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) reporting a significant increase in net foreign exchange reserves to $23.11 billion—a testament to the administration’s fiscal reforms since 2023 when net reserves were $3.99 billion.
“While away, President Tinubu will remain fully engaged with his team and continue to oversee governance activities,” Mr Onanuga added.
-
Feature/OPED5 years ago
Davos was Different this year
-
Travel/Tourism9 years ago
Lagos Seals Western Lodge Hotel In Ikorodu
-
Showbiz2 years ago
Estranged Lover Releases Videos of Empress Njamah Bathing
-
Banking7 years ago
Sort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria
-
Economy2 years ago
Subsidy Removal: CNG at N130 Per Litre Cheaper Than Petrol—IPMAN
-
Banking2 years ago
First Bank Announces Planned Downtime
-
Sports2 years ago
Highest Paid Nigerian Footballer – How Much Do Nigerian Footballers Earn
-
Technology4 years ago
How To Link Your MTN, Airtel, Glo, 9mobile Lines to NIN