Connect with us

General

Nigeria Probes Big Tech Over Anti-Competitive Practices, News Content Use

Published

on

FCCPC

By Adedapo Adesanya

Nigeria is investigating major technology companies over alleged anti-competitive ​practices and unauthorised use of news content following a directive from President Bola Tinubu to the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) on Monday.

The anti-trust commission launched an investigation into major technology companies over allegations of anti-competitive practices, unlawful use of news content and other actions said to be harmful to Nigerian media organisations.

The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Monday by the FCCPC’s Director of Corporate Affairs, Mr Ondaje Ijagwu, following a joint petition submitted to the Presidency by the Nigerian Press Organisation (NPO).

The NPO comprises the Newspaper Proprietors’ Association of Nigeria (NPAN), the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON) and the Guild of Corporate Online Publishers (GOCOP).

The commission will also investigate Generative Artificial Intelligence platforms operating in Nigeria as part of the inquiry.

The federal government conveyed the directive to the FCCPC in a letter signed by the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mr Mohammed Idris.

The petition centres on concerns by media stakeholders over the growing influence of some digital platforms on the survival of Nigeria’s news industry.

NPO accused major technology firms, including Meta, Alphabet and X, formerly known as Twitter, as well as some Generative AI platforms, of engaging in practices that could weaken fair competition, threaten the financial survival of media organisations and violate the rights of publishers and content creators.

FCCPC Executive Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Mr Tunji Bello, said the commission would carry out a transparent and evidence-based investigation into the claims.

“We recognise the strategic importance of the media to Nigeria’s democracy and the equally significant role of technology in driving innovation and economic growth. Our responsibility is to objectively determine the facts and ensure that competition within the digital ecosystem remains fair, transparent, and consistent with Nigerian law,” Mr Bello said.

Bello said the inquiry was not based on any assumption of guilt but was aimed at establishing the facts and hearing from all parties involved.

“This inquiry is not directed at any entity by presumption of wrongdoing. Rather, it is an opportunity to carefully examine the facts, hear from all affected parties, and determine whether any conduct has resulted in anti-competitive outcomes or unfair business practices. Every party will be accorded a fair opportunity to present relevant information before any conclusions are reached.”

He said the commission would determine whether the alleged conduct violates the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Act 2018 or any other relevant law.

The FCCPC had previously investigated Meta and secured a judgment against the company in 2025 over breaches of the FCCPA, including data violations, resulting in a $220 million fine. Meta has appealed the ruling.

According to the commission, the new investigation will focus on allegations of market dominance and possible anti-competitive conduct by the companies involved.

It will also examine claims that copyrighted news articles, broadcast materials and other original journalistic works were extracted, scraped, ingested or commercially used without authorisation for the training and development of Generative AI models.

Another issue under review is the alleged absence of fair commercial arrangements between global technology companies and Nigerian media publishers. At the centre of this is the claim that local media organisations have not been given meaningful opportunities to negotiate compensation or proper commercial terms for the use of their content.

The FCCPC noted that a similar intervention in South Africa led to an agreement under which Google would pay South African news media R688 million, equivalent to about $40 million, every year for a period of three to five years following agitation by media organisations and an investigation by the South African Competition Commission.

France fined Google €500 million in 2021 over failures in negotiations with news publishers and ⁠breaches linked ​in part to the use of publisher ​content by AI systems. Australia and Canada have also introduced bargaining frameworks that resulted in payment agreements ​between technology companies and publishers.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Afreximbank Now Africa’s Largest Oil, Gas Financier—Wale Tinubu

Published

on

wale tinubu

By Adedapo Adesanya

The chief executive of Oando Plc, Mr Wale Tinubu, says the African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) is now the largest financier of oil and gas projects on the African continent.

Mr Tinubu said the bank has committed over $25 billion in Africa’s oil and gas sector while speaking at the Royal African Society’s conference in London on the next 125 years of mining, oil and gas in Africa, according to a social media post on Wednesday.

“Afreximbank is now the largest financier of oil and gas on this continent, with more than twenty-five billion dollars committed,” he wrote on X.

Mr Tinubu said 20 years ago, when Oando wanted to list on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, “we were told what would be required of us”.

He said the company was directed to adopt International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), while the board was also asked to appoint independent directors who could tell the founder “no”.

“Get on a plane and explain ourselves, quarter after quarter, to people who had never set foot in Lagos. It was uncomfortable. It was also the most valuable thing we ever did to ourselves,” he said.

“I returned to that experience in London at the Royal African Society’s (@royafrisoc) discussion on the next 125 years of mining, oil and gas in Africa, where I was asked what African companies need in order to scale.

“The answer begins at home. Much of African enterprise started out fractured; family-held, informally governed, structurally invisible to anyone underwriting a twenty-year risk. Global capital hesitates over what it cannot examine.”

The Oando CEO said governance is more than a compliance exercise, describing it as an instrument that makes a company legible to the world.

“The second half of the answer sits with the world. When European lenders withdrew from African hydrocarbons in pursuit of their own net zero commitments, they did not end demand for African energy,” he said.

“They ended their participation in it. African institutions stepped into that space.”

Mr Tinubu said African firms have done the harder work “of making ourselves investable”, noting that what does not get financed does not get built, and “there is still much to build in Africa for those willing to build it with African companies”.

In Nigeria, the bank has been a major financier of the 650,000 barrels-per-day Dangote Petroleum Refinery, including a $1.35 billion facility in 2025 to refinance construction costs and a further $2.5 billion underwriting commitment in 2026.

The bank has also supported the development of the 200,000 barrels-per-day Lobito Refinery in Angola, the 60,000 barrels-per-day Cabinda Refinery, and the refurbishment of Nigeria’s 210,000 barrels-per-day Port Harcourt Refinery. It has additionally approved financing for the BUA and Azikel refineries in Nigeria and supported Société Ivoirienne de Raffinage in Côte d’Ivoire.

Beyond refining, Afreximbank committed up to $400 million in guarantees and direct lending to Mozambique’s Area 1 LNG project, one of Africa’s largest LNG developments, to support the extraction, processing and liquefaction of offshore gas.

In Angola, the bank helped arrange a $1.75 billion syndicated facility for Sonangol to support the national oil company’s operating and capital expenditure requirements. It has also been mandated to advise on raising capital for Equatorial Guinea’s $4.5 billion EG-27 LNG project, which is expected to produce about 2.4 million tonnes of LNG annually. In the Democratic Republic of Congo, the lender is supporting preparations for a 200MW reservoir-based hydropower project along the Lufira River, designed to provide electricity to mining operations.

Continue Reading

General

Oil Exploration Resumption: MOSOP Assures Ogoni People Good Deal

Published

on

MOSOP

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The Ogoni people have been assured of a good deal emanating from the ongoing dialogue with the federal government on the planned resumption of oil exploration in the area.

This assurance was given by the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP) through its leader, Mr Fegalo Nsuke, at the group’s steering committee meeting on Wednesday.

In a statement signed by the Secretary General of MOSOP, Mr Alex Akori, it was stressed that for over 30 years, the Ogoni people have sought a mutual dialogue with the central government, and that is now ongoing, with substantial progress being made on the part of community mobilisation and the dialogue process.

“For over 30 years, we have advocated for a peaceful resolution of the Ogoni conflicts. I am glad that the dialogue is ongoing and it is going well. I am also very optimistic that we will strike a good deal from the process,” Mr Nsuke stated.

He described the dialogue process as a reward for non-violence, urging other regions of the country to emulate the peaceful resistance of the Ogoni people rather than taking to armed struggle.

“The Ogoni dialogue process is significant for several reasons. First, it has gained overwhelming acceptance as a pathway to resolve the Ogoni problem, and that is very important. Secondly, it is an encouragement for non-violent struggles. Thirdly, it is people-centred and designed to accelerate development in Ogoni,” Mr Nsuke added.

He thanked the Ogoni people for giving peace a chance and for accepting to go into a dialogue describing the initiative as one of the best decisions ever taken in the direction of a three-decade search for peace, development and a new beginning for the Ogoni people.

In a related development, the MOSOP Steering Committee, the highest decision-making organ of the organisation, elected Mr Nwale Emereonwi, Mr Kpoobari Gbidum, and Lekue Zini as Deputy President, Assistant Secretary-General, and President of the National Youth Council of Ogoni People (NYCOP), respectively.

Continue Reading

General

Nigerian Shippers’ Council Transitions into Nigeria Ports Economic Regulatory Agency

Published

on

Nigeria Ports Economic Regulatory Agency

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigerian Shippers’ Council (NSC) has formally transitioned into the Nigeria Ports Economic Regulatory Agency (NPERA) following President Bola Tinubu’s assent to the Nigerian Ports Economic Regulatory Agency Act, 2026.

The Act establishes NPERA as the statutory authority responsible for the economic regulation of ports in the country.

Speaking at a press briefing in Lagos, Mr Ibrahim Shema, chairman of the NPERA governing board, described the development as a major institutional reform aimed at creating a more transparent, predictable, and competitive port environment.

Mr Shema said NPERA would be responsible for the economic regulation of port services and related activities, including tariffs and charges, licensing, service standards, fair competition, commercial dispute resolution, trade facilitation, and protection of port users.

He said the new framework is expected to provide greater regulatory certainty for shipping lines and terminal operators, while offering importers, exporters, freight forwarders, and clearing agents more predictable procedures, fairer charges, and improved mechanisms for resolving disputes.

The chairman clarified that the establishment of NPERA does not create a competing authority with the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA).

“While the Nigerian Ports Authority will retain responsibility for port infrastructure and its landlord functions, NPERA will provide independent economic oversight within its statutory mandate,” Mr Shema said.

He said NPERA’s regulatory approach will be anchored on five principles: transparency, fairness, predictability, efficiency, and accountability.

The board’s chairman said the new agency would deploy technology and data to strengthen licensing, tariff administration, monitoring, compliance, reporting, and stakeholder engagement.

“The agency also plans to work with key maritime institutions, including the Nigerian Ports Authority, NIMASA and the Nigeria Customs Service, as well as terminal operators, shipping lines, freight forwarders, manufacturers, investors and other industry stakeholders,” he said.

Mr Shema said the immediate priority is to ensure an orderly transition from the NSC to NPERA, while maintaining continuity in essential regulatory functions and preserving institutional knowledge.

The chairman stressed that the success of the new agency would ultimately be measured by its impact on port users and the wider economy.

“Effective implementation of the Act should translate into better services, greater efficiency, lower uncertainty, fair competition, and stronger trade facilitation,” Shema added.

On his part, Mr Pius Akutah, executive secretary and chief executive of NPERA, expressed optimism that the new law would significantly clarify the regulatory environment governing Nigeria’s ports within the next one to two years.

Mr Akutah said the NPERA Act would give the agency stronger powers to improve commercial dispute resolution and protect the interests and welfare of port users and other stakeholders, adding that the new regulatory framework would enable the agency to deliver a more efficient, transparent, and competitive Nigerian port system.

Continue Reading