Connect with us

General

Politicians Bringing in Stolen Funds for Elections—EFCC

Published

on

ibrahim magu efcc

By Dipo Olowookere

Acting Chairman of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr Ibrahim Magu, has raised an alarm over a sudden rise in the repatriation of looted funds in Nigeria by some politicians ahead of the next month’s elections.

Mr Magu made this disclosure during the general meeting of the Association of Chief Compliance Officers of Banks In Nigeria (ACCOBIN), which held on Thursday, January 31, 2019 in Lagos.

The EFCC chief, who called on financial institutions in the country to desist from laundering illicit funds for corrupt politicians and criminals, said many of them who had stolen the nation’s commonwealth had begun to repatriate the funds to the country for the purpose of influencing the elections through vote buying and compromise of election officers.

He charged members of the group to join hands with the agency to ensure that the coming election was not compromised, adding that the impact could be grievous and devastating.

“We are all under a civic duty to comply with our various responsibilities and ensure that we do the needful to obey the laws and regulations governing the elections,” Mr Magu said

He added that political inducement had now taken other forms and tagged in different names such as “stomach Infrastructure”, “empowerment schemes”, “non-interest yielding loans” and “outright cash handouts”, among others.

Mr Magu, who described members of the group as stakeholders in the fight against corruption, said, “Your obligations are not different from your usual filing of suspicious transactions reports to the relevant authorities, and the prompt filing of currency transaction reports as well as foreign transaction reports.

“We have also observed the upsurge of illicit financial flows into the country through the borders and it is disheartening to see the role financial institutions play in facilitating the flows of these funds into the country.

“It is obvious now that financial institutions serve as intermediaries between law enforcement agencies and the criminals.

“At a simple push of the button, so much is moved to any jurisdiction of their choice.”

He added that no country could combat the flow of illicit funds without the cooperation of financial institutions, adding that “in most cases, it is the financial institutions that provide the means, logistics and strategy for the criminals to thread on.”

He said investigations revealed that foreign properties bought with proceeds of crime were sold, and the proceeds transferred to Nigeria through international banks as legitimate funds that could be used to finance several activities including elections.

He said, “Goods bought with proceeds of crime abroad are sent to Nigeria to support empowerment programmes during election periods.

“The goods are mostly cleared with deficient trade documents processed through the international banks.”

According to him, the condemnable practice also includes moving proceeds of crime that had been taken across the border to neighbouring countries back to Nigeria by depositing such funds in banks with corresponding banking relationship with local banks in Nigeria.

These funds, he said, could be used to finance elections in the country by physical distribution of the funds for political inducement or financing empowerment schemes to solicit votes from citizens.

Mr Magu also said that private bankers for international banks had been found to be facilitating the movement of proceeds of crime, that is physical movement of cash to the country, via charted airlines under the cover that it belonged to the banks.

He, however, said the activities of the criminals could be checkmated by increased transaction monitoring by bank officials, while also reporting suspicious transactions to the relevant agencies without delay.

He urged the group to cooperate with the Commission to ensure that criminals were not given the chance to take over the government and, by extension, the economy of the country.

He re-iterated the fact that the EFCC would prosecute anybody or institution found breaching the provisions of the law.

In his remarks, the Vice President, ACCOBIN, Mr Wumi Adeniyi, expressed his gratitude to Mr Magu for honouring the invitation to the event.

Mr Adeniyi, who is also the Chief Compliance Officer, CCO, Heritage Bank Plc, commended Magu for what he described as his “boldness to fight corruption and economic and financial crimes in the country”.

He also highlighted some of the challenges facing banks’ compliance officers in the country and sought the assistance of the EFCC to tackle them. He said, “We encounter a lot of legal burdens, particularly as it concerns the arrest and detention of compliance officers, among others.”

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

Nasarawa Orders Immediate Shutdown of Mining Activities in Endo Community

Published

on

Lideal Mining Company

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nasarawa State government has ordered the immediate suspension of mining activities at Endo community in Udege, directing Lideal Mining Company to stop operations and vacate the site without delay.

The government also ordered an immediate halt to the movement of raw minerals from the location, tightening restrictions around the disputed mining area.

The latest intervention by the state government signals a tougher stance on mining operations considered capable of threatening public order or operating outside established procedures.

Announcing the decision in Lafia, the state capital, the Commissioner for Environment and Natural Resources, Mrs Margaret Elayo, said the action followed a series of consultations, stakeholder engagements and security assessments linked to activities within the affected mining cadastral unit.

She said the directive was issued in the public interest as part of efforts to maintain order, protect host communities and strengthen regulatory compliance in the state’s mining sector.

According to the commissioner, the company has been instructed to begin the immediate withdrawal of its mining equipment, heavy machinery, trucks, operational facilities and personnel from the site.

Mrs Elayo said the move aligns with the administration of Governor Abdullahi Sule, which has repeatedly pledged to enforce lawful mining practices, preserve peace in mining communities and build investor confidence through transparent regulatory processes.

She stressed that the government’s decision forms part of a broader plan to reposition the mining sector and ensure that mineral development does not undermine security, environmental standards or community stability.

To enforce compliance, the state government has directed the deployment of security personnel to the affected mining site to prevent unauthorised activities and ensure full adherence to the suspension order.

Nasarawa remains one of Nigeria’s key solid minerals states, attracting growing interest from mining investors because it contains lithium, tin, columbite and other strategic minerals.

However, increased mining activity has also heightened concerns around regulation, community disputes, environmental protection and security management.

Continue Reading

General

EFCC Arrests Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman

Published

on

EFCC Arrest Saleh Mamman

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

The recently-convicted former Minister of Power, Mr Saleh Mamman, has been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Chairman of the EFCC, Mr Ola Olukoyede, during a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday, said the former senior government official was apprehended this afternoon along with two others accused of shielding him.

Earlier this month, Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja convicted Mr Mamman for N33.8 billion fraud after he was found guilty of a 12-count charge brought against him by the EFCC. He was sentenced to 75 years in prison, though he was not present in court on the day of his sentencing.

Speaking with journalists today, Mr Olukoyede said the convict was arrested at 3:30 am on Tuesday in a house in Kano, where he was allegedly being protected.

“Ladies and gentlemen, you will recall that sometime in January 2025, we filed charges against the ex-minister of power for allegedly converting over N33 billion – money that was set aside for the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects,” Olukoyede said during a press briefing.

“About 14 to 15 months down the line, specifically on the 7th of this month, we secured convictions on all 12 counts. Because the defendant was not present, the issue of sentencing was shifted. And on the 13th of this month, he was sentenced in absentia.

“Since then, we decided to open our intelligence surveillance to the public, looking for him all over the place. I am happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr Saleh Mamman somewhere in Kano. We have discovered that he was actually being protected all this while,” he said.

Continue Reading

General

UK Backs Pan-African Founder Support Programme at London Tech Week

Published

on

UK Pan-African Founder Programme

By Adedapo Adesanya

The United Kingdom is deepening efforts to position itself as a preferred global expansion hub for African startups with the launch of the UK–Africa Ecosystem Week, a coordinated support programme to be delivered during London Tech Week.

Powered by the UK–Africa Sandbox and Ventures 54 in partnership with the UK Department for Business and Trade (DBT), the initiative is expected to provide African founders with structured support to navigate business, investment and networking opportunities in the UK market.

The programme is also backed by the UK Nigeria Tech Hub, the UK South Africa Tech Hub, London & Partners and the Mayor of London’s office, signalling growing institutional support for stronger commercial and technology ties between the UK and African innovation ecosystems.

According to the organisers, the initiative introduces a more coordinated approach to participation at London Tech Week, one of the world’s largest annual technology gatherings, which attracts over 100,000 participants across more than 500 events yearly.

Founders participating in the programme will gain access to curated sessions, concierge-style support services, dedicated workspaces, investor engagement opportunities and market entry guidance tailored to African technology companies seeking expansion into the UK.

A flagship UK–Africa Ecosystem Day will also bring together investors, policymakers, ecosystem builders and founders to discuss commercial expansion opportunities and partnerships between both regions.

Founder of Ventures 54 and UK-Africa Sandbox, Mr Anthony William Catt, said the initiative was developed in response to the increasing number of African startups travelling to London Tech Week over the last few years.

He explained that what started as informal networking gatherings under the London Africa Network had evolved into structured programming and has now scaled into a full week of activities aimed at helping founders maximise opportunities available within the UK ecosystem.

“This is about putting the right structure in place, so African founders have a dedicated support track to get the most out of the week and access the best of what the UK has to offer,” he said.

Speaking on the initiative, Acting His Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for Africa, Mr Ben Ainsley, described the UK as a natural destination for ambitious African startups due to its large technology ecosystem, deep venture capital market and access to global talent.

“The UK Government is committed to supporting high-growth international companies succeed in the UK and initiatives like the UK–Africa Sandbox demonstrate our focus on making it easier for African founders to access support and fully engage with the UK’s world-class innovation ecosystem.”

The programme is expected to attract delegations and founders from countries including Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Egypt, Algeria and Ghana.

Organisers added that the initiative would extend beyond London Tech Week through the broader UK–Africa Sandbox platform, which aims to support African founders entering the UK market while also creating pathways for UK startups seeking expansion opportunities across Africa.

Continue Reading

Trending