Liz Truss to Succeed Boris Johnson as UK Prime Minister

September 5, 2022
Liz Truss

By Adedapo Adesanya

Britain’s Conservative party has announced Liz Truss as its new leader to succeed Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

The foreign secretary comfortably beat her rival, former finance minister, Mr Rishi Sunak, by about 57 to 43 per cent after a long contest decided by just over 170,000 Conservative members.

She won 81,326 votes (57.4 per cent) of Tory members to the former chancellor’s 60,399 (42.6 per cent) and is set to take over from Mr Johnson, who was ousted by his own Members of Parliament some months ago.

In a short victory speech at the announcement in a central London convention hall, Truss said it was an “honour” to be elected after undergoing “one of the longest job interviews in history”.

“I campaigned as a Conservative, and I will govern as a Conservative,” she said, touting Tory values of low taxes and personal responsibility.

Britain’s fourth Tory prime minister in six years declared “we will deliver, we will deliver and we will deliver” on the many challenges facing her government, including the state of the NHS as she also vowed a “bold plan” to address tax cuts and the energy crisis.

She appeared to rule out a snap general election, telling the audience in central London that she would “deliver a great victory for the Conservative party in 2024”.

Truss, 47, will be only the UK’s third female prime minister following Theresa May and Margaret Thatcher.

She will formally take office on Tuesday after Mr Johnson tenders his resignation to Queen Elizabeth II.

The leadership contest began in July after Johnson announced his departure following a slew of scandals and resignations from his government, including Sunak’s.

Truss reserved a portion of her short speech to praising the outgoing Johnson’s record, including on Brexit and the COVID-19 pandemic, and said he was “admired from Kyiv to Carlisle”.

Business Post understands that an emergency budget is expected within her administration’s first month to set out how she will bolster the economy amid sustained low growth, soaring inflation, flatlining wages, and the very real prospect of recession.

Adedapo Adesanya

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Leave a Reply

agribusiness owners
Previous Story

Stanbic IBTC Bank Assures Agribusiness Owners Loans for Expansion

OPEC Crude
Next Story

OPEC+ Shocks Market With Marginal Output Cut

Latest from World

Sangomar deep-water project

Senegal Begins Oil Production

By Adedapo Adesanya Senegal has officially joined the list of oil-producing countries in West Africa after commencing oil production for the first time last

Don't Miss