Economy
NAICOM Plans New Reforms, Initiatives for Insurance Sector
By Adedapo Adesanya
**Mulls Price Control Mechanism for Insurance Products
The National Insurance Commission (NAICOM) has expressed its readiness to put in place better reforms and initiatives aimed at further driving financial inclusion in the country through insurance.
Acting Commissioner for Insurance at NAICOM, Mr Sunday Thomas, made this disclosure while delivering his keynote address at the seminar for insurance journalists held at the Bristol Palace Hotel, Kano State on Monday.
Mr Thomas noted that many lessons were learned in the previous year and that the commission was working to build on them for a better insurance sector in Nigeria.
“We all experienced its positive and negative consequences, leaving us with the bitter-sweet lessons that will ultimately shape our decision making in this and subsequent years,’ he said.
Moving forward, Mr Thomas noted that the commission was shifting its focus away from compliance issues that it faced in previous to its market developmental responsibility.
“As the Year 2020 continues to unfold, giant strides will be made by the commission in all aspects of its statutory responsibilities. This is the time to put the past behind us and look forward to a better and more vibrant sector.
“The task of building an insurance sector of our dreams is a collective one and thus, all hands must be on deck to ensure our dreams become realities.
“We recognise the impact of conducive work environment to effective and efficient regulatory system and this will always remain our priority,” the NAICOM chief noted.
He further disclosed that the second phase of the soon-to-be unveiled Market Development and Restructuring Initiative (MDRI) will mark out clear targets and tasks for all stakeholders in the industry.
Speaking on the plan to increase acceptance of insurance in the country, the Acting Commissioner said, “We shall vigorously pursue the continued implementation of Compulsory Insurances in every nook and crannies of the country.
“We are certainly not unaware of the challenges inhibiting the successful implementation of these classes of insurance thus far hence, our resolve to work with relevant stakeholders to ensure a seamless drive.
“Indeed, the successful implementation of compulsory classes of insurance across the nation will ensure adequate protection of our strategic national assets. We will be working with the relevant security agencies to guarantee effective and efficient monitoring of compliance.”
He further said that the insurance sector was latching onto the financial inclusion strategy of the federal government developmental plan, stating that the commission has over the years invested in the development of financial inclusion mechanisms which includes the introduction of Microinsurance and Takaful Insurance products.
According to him, “The introduction of these lines of insurance is intended to deepen the penetration of insurance in the country and bring into the fold majority of the populace that are hitherto excluded.”
“So far, some milestones have been recorded in this regard with three standalone Microinsurance and four Takaful insurance companies already granted approvals,” he added.
He added that the right pricing of insurance products and effective deployment of technology for ease of transaction are among the key areas the commission will be working on this year.
“Digitalisation of insurance business is no longer an option, but an imperative which we all have to work towards its actualisation. As we may all be aware, the industry is currently lagging behind other financial services sectors in this area.
“The commission is working vigorously to see that all its operations are digitalised. The year 2020 is a year for us to turnaround the fortunes of the industry and this cannot be accomplished without digitalising our processes and encouraging the industry to imbibe same.
“The commission shall in the course of the year continue to introduce new reforms and initiatives in line with international best practices for attaining the level of growth and development we all desire for the sector,” he said.
Economy
Sell-offs in Financial, Energy Equities Extend NGX Losing Streak to Eight Straight Sessions
By Dipo Olowookere
For the eighth straight session, the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) closed lower, losing 0.32 per cent at the close of business on Thursday as a result of continued sell-offs.
Yesterday, the financial and energy sectors came under selling pressure as investors’ appetite for domestic equities waned, with attention turning to the 2027 presidential campaigns, which kicked off on Wednesday.
The energy index shed 2.49 per cent, the insurance sector depreciated by 0.79 per cent, and the banking segment declined by 0.41 per cent. But the consumer goods space gained 0.10 per cent, while the industrial goods counter closed flat.
When the market closed for the day, the All-Share Index (ASI) contracted by 712.67 points to 240,037.80 points from 240,750.47 points, and the market capitalisation decreased by N439 billion to N154.978 trillion from N155.417 trillion.
International Energy Insurance slumped by 9.85 per cent to N4.30, Coronation Insurance dropped 9.84 per cent to trade at N2.20, Fortis Global slipped by 9.76 per cent to N1.85, AVA Capital crashed by 7.89 per cent to N7.00, and Zichis shrank by 7.36 per cent to N17.00.
On the other side, Haldane McCall rose by 9.38 per cent to N3.85, Trans-Nationwide Express jumped by 8.90 per cent to N3.06, McNichols appreciated by 8.33 per cent to N5.20, Cutix gained 2.56 per cent to close at N2.40, and Veritas Kapital expanded by 1.52 per cent to N1.34.
Business Post reports that Customs Street recorded 14 advancing stocks and 29 declining stocks, representing a negative market breadth index and weak investor sentiment.
A total of 2.9 billion shares worth N34.0 billion were transacted in 34,725 deals during the session versus the 1.2 billion shares valued at N37.8 billion traded in 34,546 deals at midweek. This showed that the trading value moderated by 10.05 per cent, while the trading volume and number of deals increased by 141.67 per cent and 0.59 per cent apiece.
Fortis Global Insurance was on top of the activity chart yesterday, with a turnover of 2.6 billion equities valued at N5.2 billion. Sterling Holdings exchanged 28.1 million shares worth N211.4 million, Trans-Nationwide Express transacted 21.7 million stocks for N66.2 million, UBA sold 17.9 million equities worth N803.7 million, and First Holdco traded 15.7 million shares valued at N2.0 billion.
Economy
Oil Rallies to One-Month High as Trump Targets Iran Backers
By Adedapo Adesanya
Oil jumped more than 2 per cent on Thursday to its highest level in nearly a month, after US President Donald Trump warned of retaliation against nations supporting Iran.
Brent crude futures gained $2.16 or 2.4 per cent to trade at $93.78 a barrel, while the US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures for September rose by $2 or 2.3 per cent to $87.83 a barrel.
President Trump has threatened sweeping economic measures against Iran, warning countries that provide Iran with “any type of lifeline” that they could face severe consequences.
The American President described the planned campaign as “economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale,” as the US seeks to intensify pressure on Tehran nearly six months into the conflict.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the Trump-led administration would impose what he called the “toughest sanctions in history” on Iran and urged China and other countries to cooperate with the campaign.
Mr Bessent said he would hold a press conference on Monday to provide details of the measures, which he said would complement the US blockade of Iran.
Concerns about stricter sanctions enforcement against Iran added to anxiety about the risk to supply in the Middle East.
The economic offensive comes as the war, which began on February 28 after the US and Israel launched military strikes on Iran, has killed thousands of people and severely disrupted energy supplies.
Iran’s blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, a key route for global oil and gas shipments, and attacks on energy infrastructure across the Middle East have sharply reduced the flow of energy to international markets.
The latest US threats mark an escalation in the US’s economic pressure on Iran, with Trump also warning countries that continue to trade with or support Iran that they could face punitive measures. Iran has dismissed the campaign as “economic terrorism” and a continuation of failed US policies.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains far below pre-war levels, according to the latest shipping data. Prior to the Iran war, shipments equal to about one-fifth of global consumption moved through the waterway.
This week, the United Arab Emirates suspended all financial and economic transactions with Iran until further notice, highlighting the fraught ties between the major Gulf Arab oil producer and Iran. The war has also impacted the supply of refined fuels and drawn down inventories, with less crude available to refiners.
Economy
NECA Demands Accountability for N10.4tn Subsidy Funds Shared to States, LGs
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) has called on state and local governments to account for the N10.4 trillion they received from resources generated following the removal of the petrol subsidy.
The Director-General of NECA, Mr Adewale-Smatt Oyerinde, made the call on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Thursday morning, a day after the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mr Taiwo Oyedele, disclosed details of the financial impact of the federal government’s economic reforms.
Mr Oyedele had said the removal of the petrol subsidy and reforms to the foreign exchange market mobilised N15.8 trillion for the Federation between June 2023 and December 2025.
According to the minister, the federal government received N5.4 trillion of the amount, while N10.4 trillion was distributed to state and local governments through the Federation Account.
Reacting to the disclosure, Mr Oyerinde said the states and local governments should now provide details of how the funds they received were utilised.
He particularly called on state commissioners for finance to disclose the amounts their respective governments received and how the funds were spent.
“Absolutely. I think it should trickle down. The commissioners of finance in states, you come out and also say, this is how much we’ve received; this is how much we have spent,” he said on the television programme.
Mr Oyerinde compared the expected disclosure by governments to the financial reporting obligations of private businesses, where companies present audited accounts and performance reports to shareholders.
“We believe strongly that as private businesses, at the end of the year you audit your accounts, you present your scorecard to your shareholders to gauge what we have done. The Minister of Finance has led the way now, and the states also should follow,” he said.
The NECA director-general urged state governments to provide a breakdown of the funds received, the challenges encountered and how the money was deployed.
“And so this is how much we have received. These are the constraints we face, and this is how we have expended this amount. I think we should move progressively towards transparency in government,” he said.
Mr Oyerinde commended the Federal Government for publicly disclosing details of its finances, describing the presentation by the finance minister as a step towards greater transparency in public administration.
He said the level of detail provided by Mr Oyedele would enable citizens and other stakeholders to better scrutinise government spending and assess the impact of the reforms.
The NECA boss also said greater disclosure by the sub-national governments would allow citizens to engage state and local governments more constructively on the use of public funds.
“I also put citizens, and I must say this, citizens are also in a good position now to engage constructively, engage the state governments constructively, and also engage local governments constructively, because that is where development should actually start,” Mr Oyerinde said.


