Connect with us

Education

LAUTECH Will be Envy of Other Nigerian Universities—Aregbesola Boasts

Published

on

By Dipo Olowookere

Governor of Oyo State, Mr Abiola Ajimobi and his Osun State counterpart, Mr Rauf Aregbesola, have lamented the non-resumption of academic activities at the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, in spite of their spirited efforts to restore normalcy.

The owner-states governors bared their minds during the submission of the report of the Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)-led visitation panel, set up over the crisis rocking the university, at the Governor’s Office, Ibadan, on Friday.

Also at the event were the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the institution’s Governing Council, Prof. Wale Omole; Vice Chancellor, Prof. Adeniyi Gbadegesin, and others members of the governing council and the visitation panel.

The panel was set up in October, last year, to chart a fresh path forward for the institution, which had been thrown into crisis for more than eight months due to the industrial action embarked upon by its academic and non-academic staff.

Although the school was reopened by the management on January 27 following the injection of over half a billion naira by Oyo and Osun States, the institution’s branch of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) had refused to return to classes citing unresolved issues with the management.

Mr Ajimobi commended the panel for what he called a thorough and in-depth job done, assuring the panel of full implementation of the recommendations.

He, however, harped on the need for the collaboration of corporate bodies and individuals to set up a trust fund for the funding of the institution giving the pervading reality of paucity of funds in the country.

The Governor said, “Awolowo was a realist and he saw the need to finance education while alive. He also had the resources to apply to the vision then and we all benefitted from his gesture. Today, oil revenue, which is the mainstay of sustaining education funding through federal allocation, had dropped.

“Oyo State that used to get N5.2billion as monthly allocation now gets as low as N2.5billion and we have to pay salaries of workers and finance social infrastructure. How do we survive that without looking inward?

“The reality on the ground requires that we look at different ways of doing things. There is need for repositioning of the university, especially on the structure. The non-resumption of academic activities after our (governors) efforts is worrying.

“LAUTECH should be the flagship of the South-West. There is nothing wrong in the whole South-West states buying into the ownership, relying on the internally-generated revenue from the school alone cannot help.”

On his part, Mr Aregbesola said the whole crisis was regrettable, but inevitable having been allegedly brought about by a sharp drop in the states’ financial power, occasioned by the crash of petroleum price in the world market.

He disclosed that the next assignment would be to set up a Technical Implementation Committee that would draw up a white paper from the report of the visitation panel.

Mr Aregbesola said, “The whole situation is regrettable, but I’m of the opinion that the academic staff and students of the university are not unaware of the present financial challenges facing the states, which culminated from the drop in our monthly federal allocation.

“We are happy the panel has done a marvellous job and the next step is for the two states to put up a technical implementation committee that would work on a white paper from the visitation panel’s report.”

The chairman of the panel said the panacea to the crisis bedevilling the academic institution was the establishment of a trust fund and strategic funding by the owner-states governments in the form of subvention.

Mr Olanipekun said it was a well-known fact that throughout the world, funding of university education did not rest squarely on government, but with support from corporate individuals and bodies in the form of trust fund.

He said, “Government alone is incapable of funding university education. Talk of great universities all over the world, you will talk of Harvard. The budget of Harvard University is more than that of Nigeria.

“How did they come about this? It is through trust fund and we are also recommending same as a solution to the funding crisis of LAUTECH. Maybe Nigerian universities would start to learn from LAUTECH if our recommendations are implemented.

“But, we are recommending that for now the university need money; the immediate thing is for the university to reopen. It has been out of session for eight months.

“Therefore, we are recommending that for now, the university must be given some subvention for it to reopen in the short term and after that the implementation of the other steps and recommendations could be also followed.”

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via [email protected]

Education

Egbin Power, FIPL to Host Sahara Power Academy

Published

on

Sahara Power Academy

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A transformative initiative designed to equip young Nigerian engineers with the technical expertise and practical experience needed to drive sustainable power generation nationwide has been launched by Sahara Power Group.

This programme, known as the Sahara Power Technical and Innovation Academy (SPTIA), will be hosted by Egbin Power and First Independent Power Limited (FIPL), two of Nigeria’s leading power generation companies and members of the Sahara Power Group.

It was created as part of the company’s vision to deliver reliable and sustainable energy through a combination of infrastructure investment and human capital development, ensuring that Nigeria’s energy future is powered by both innovation and indigenous expertise.

Fifty graduate engineers will undergo a rigorous 10-month programme that combines intensive classroom learning with hands-on, on-the-job training across critical generation assets.

Participants will be exposed to real-time plant operations, maintenance systems, and industry best practices, positioning them for impactful careers in the power sector.

A strong emphasis will also be placed on safety as a core pillar of the academy.  The trainees will undergo mandatory safety modules covering industry standards and safe work practices, complemented by practical, scenario-based sessions.

This approach is designed to instil a safety-first culture and ensure that all participants are equipped to operate confidently and responsibly beyond compliance within the Plant environment.

At the end of the programme, top-performing trainees will be deployed across Sahara Power Group’s businesses, including Egbin Power, FIPL, and upstream operations, while others will be released into the broader Nigerian electricity labour market as part of the Group’s commitment to strengthening sector-wide capacity.

The Managing Director of Sahara Power Group, Mr Kola Adesina, said the initiative represents a deliberate investment in Nigeria’s future and a strategic response to the sector’s talent needs.

“We are committed to powering Nigeria not just through infrastructure, but through people. This academy reflects our belief that the future of sustainable energy delivery must be driven by skilled, young professionals who understand the local operating environment,” he stated.

“Egbin Power and FIPL provide the ideal platforms for this initiative, given their track record of operational excellence and technical depth. By leveraging these assets, we are creating a pipeline of engineers who are not only technically sound but also industry-ready from the outset,” he added.

Mr Adesina further charged the trainees to work as a team and ensure that the training programme brings out problem-solving skills that will enable them to contribute to human development and the progress of the power sector.

“We are here to truly and responsibly make a difference. We are here to look around our environment, and we are curious enough to see how we can make things better. We believe you are to make things better and add value to the sector,” he said.

Continue Reading

Education

Conference on Investing in Boys for Stronger Families, Communities Holds in Ibadan

Published

on

Boys Aid Network

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

A conference with the theme Flourish and Thrive: Investing in Boys for Stronger Families and Communities will take place at the Local Government Training School, Secretariat, Agodi, Ibadan, Oyo State, on Thursday, May 14, 2026.

The programme, in its second edition, is part of activities lined up to mark the 2026 International Boys’ Day Conference. It is being put in place by Boys Aid Network to confront a question many institutions have quietly ignored: Who is intentionally preparing the next generation of boys for the realities of leadership, responsibility, and manhood?

Expected to grace the occasion are educators, mentors, advocates, parents, and students.

The speakers include Jesudamilare Adesegun-David, Co-founder of Enovate Lab; Samson Folarin, Editor of Punch Newspaper Weekend Titles; Oluseye Joseph, Founder of EnterpriseCEO; Barrister Dotun Akinsanmi, Managing Partner at Dotun Akinsanmi LP; and media personality, Folakemi Arowolo, popularly known as Folakemi Mighty.

The convener, Barrister Olufunke Oyinlola, described the initiative as a deliberate effort to create safe and transformational spaces for boys to learn, reflect, and engage in meaningful conversations about their future.

“Too many boys are growing up without guidance, without safe spaces to express themselves, and without people intentionally helping them navigate the realities of life. This conference is our response to that challenge. We want boys to know that they are seen, valued, and capable of becoming responsible men who positively influence their families and communities,” she stated.

She added that the conference is ultimately about helping boys see possibilities differently and exposing them to conversations that can shape their confidence, choices, and sense of purpose.

More than 300 secondary school boys from across Oyo State are expected to participate in the event, which is organised in partnership with the Oyo State Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. The programme will combine keynote sessions, mentorship conversations, interactive learning, and a spelling bee competition aimed at boosting confidence and intellectual engagement.

Continue Reading

Education

Nollywood Star Alex Ekubo Dies

Published

on

Alex Ekubo

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A popular Nigerian actor, Alex Ekubo, has reportedly passed away after a protracted illness.

According to reports, the movie star died after a battle with cancer, which kept him away from public glare and social media.

Last year, some of his fans expressed concerns over his sudden absence from social media, asking about his whereabouts.

On Tuesday evening, news about his demise flooded the blogosphere.

One of the sympathisers, Peter Okoye of the P-Square fame, wrote a Rest in Peace on the Nollywood star’s picture on X, formerly known as Twitter, confirming his death.

Several personalities and others have also expressed shock over the passing of the 40-year-old entertainer, who dazzled many with his acting skills.

During his lifetime, Alex Ekubo, who was said to have died of cancer, won several awards.

Continue Reading

Trending