By Dipo Olowookere
The attack on a secondary school in Kastina State by some bandits on Saturday morning is not going down well with President Muhammadu Buhari.
Some gunmen were reported to have stormed the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara, Katsina State, and allegedly went away with some students.
The incident happened a day after President Buhari travelled to hometown in Daura, Kastina State, for a weeklong visit.
Many Nigerians have reacted to the attack, noting that the situation shows the poor state of security in the country as the bandits did not fear the presence of the Commander-in-Chief in the state before carrying out their activities.
Ostensibly embarrassed by this, Mr Buhari, in a statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr Garba Shehu on Saturday evening, directed the army and the police to go after the attackers to ensure that no student gets missing or harmed.
In the statement, he “strongly condemned the bandits’ attack,” urging the school authorities to carry out an audit of the population of the students.
When the bandits raided the institution, they shot sporadically, causing many people in the community, including some students and teachers of the school, to run to safety.
Also, some parents rushed to the school to take their children and wards, but the President has asked them to notify the school and police authorities in order to have a full account of the school population.
“I strongly condemn the cowardly bandits’ attack on innocent children at the Science School, Kankara. Our prayers are with the families of the students, the school authorities and the injured,” said President Buhari while pledging to continue to support the police and military struggle against terrorists and bandits.
According to the statement from Mr Shehu, in the latest briefing received by the President from Governor Aminu Bello Masari, with whom he has been in touch, and the Army Chief of Staff, General Tukur Buratai, the military, supported by airpower has located the bandits’ enclave at Zango/Paula forest in Kankara and there has been an exchange of gunfire in an ongoing operation.
“Police said so far, there has not been reported any student casualty.
“The President has directed the reinforcement of security of all schools in line with the safe-schools policy of the administration,” the statement said.
Akinwumi Adesina Turns Down Requests to Become Next Nigerian President
By Adedapo Adesanya
The President of the Africa Development Bank (AfDB), Mr Akinwumi Adesina, has ruled himself out of the 2023 presidential race in Nigeria.
Mr Adesina made his position known in a statement on Tuesday after months of calls for him to join the contest after a group bought the presidential nomination form of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for him at the cost of N100 million.
In the statement, the banker emphasised that his current desire is to continue to hold the office of the president of the AfDB which he won reelection for last year.
However, he expressed appreciation for those who found him worthy of leading his country at this critical time it is undergoing different challenges ranging from economy, security and others.
“While I am deeply honoured, humbled and grateful for all the incredible goodwill, kindness, and confidence, my current responsibilities at this time do not allow me to accept to considered,” the statement read in part.
“I remain fully engaged and committed to the mission that Nigeria, Africa and all the non-African shareholders of the African Development Bank have given me for Africa’s development.
“I remain fully focused on the mission of supporting the accelerated development and economic integration of Africa,” Mr Adesina added.
Less than two weeks ago, a coalition of 28 groups purchased the N100 million APC presidential forms for the former Agriculture Minister.
The coalition consists of groups such as the Youth Arise Movement, Nigerians in Diaspora, One Nigeria Group, Prudent Youth Association of Nigeria, women groups, farmers, and other civil society groups.
Sanwo-Olu Promises Justice for Sound Engineer David Imoh
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has promised to ensure that the late Sound Engineer killed by a mob in the Lekki area of the state last week gets justice.
The Governor gave this assurance through the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, in a statement issued on Monday night.
Last week, after boarding a commercial motorcycle, an argument ensued between Mr David Imoh and the okada rider over N100 and attracted other riders, who then lynched him.
There have been calls for justice for the deceased and in the statement today, the state governor said this would be done.
He condemned the mob attack and said the police are interrogating four suspects at the State Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Panti in connection with the incident, while two survivors of the act are in hospital.
According to Mr Sanwo-Olu, the government will address the root cause of this and similar incidents, which have caused public anxiety, appealing to residents to remain calm as police continue to investigate the matter.
“Lagos has no room for savagery and anybody found to have been involved in this barbarism will surely face the law.
“We condemn and will not condone any kind of jungle justice, no matter who the perpetrators are,” the statement stressed.
N80bn Fraud: EFCC Arrests Accountant General of the Federation Ahmed Idris
By Modupe Gbadeyanka
The Accountant General of the Federation (AGF), Mr Ahmed Idris, is cooling off in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
He is having talks with the agency, explaining what he knows about an alleged diversion of N80 billion belonging to the federal government.
He was picked up by operatives of the EFCC on Monday, May 16, 2022, after allegedly failing to honour invitations by the commission to respond to issues connected to the issue.
In a statement issued on Monday night, the anti-money laundering organisation claimed that Mr Idris, through verified intelligence, “raked off the funds through bogus consultancies and other illegal activities using proxies, family members and close associates.”
“The funds were laundered through real estate investments in Kano and Abuja,” another part of the statement disclosed.
The AGF has been in the news lately over an audit report, which indicted some ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) of the federal government of fraud.
Latest News on Business Post
- YouTube Music, Sarz Academy to Train Producers, Songwriters May 17, 2022
- Who Wears Nigerian Idol Season 7 Crown, Progress or Zadok? May 17, 2022
- Cyber Attacks: Africa Must Encourage Digital Skills Development—Experts May 17, 2022
- B2B e-Commerce: Fostering Sales, Distribution with Data Analytics May 17, 2022
- Akinwumi Adesina Turns Down Requests to Become Next Nigerian President May 17, 2022
- Oyo Catholic Diocese Gets Licence to Operate Microfinance Bank May 17, 2022
- Introduction of Capital Gains Tax Could Discourage Investors—Popoola May 17, 2022
- Afreximbank, APPO to Establish African Energy Bank May 17, 2022
- NowNow Unveils New Features to Boost Contactless Payments May 17, 2022
- Inflation in Nigeria Jumps to 16.82% in April 2022 May 17, 2022