Connect with us

General

Lagos Launches Biodigester Plant at Ikosi Fruit Market

Published

on

Ikosi Fruit Market Biodigester

By Adedapo Adesanya

Lagos State has launched a biodigester plant at the Ikosi Fruit Market to convert organic market waste into energy and fertiliser.

The Lagos State Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Mr Tokunbo Wahab, said via his official X account that the project was delivered through a partnership with C40 Cities and support from UK International Development.

The facility is designed to convert fruit and vegetable waste into biogas for cooking and electricity, and fertiliser for farmers, the state government official noted.

Mr Wahab said the project addresses a long-standing environmental challenge in the Ikosi community, adding that the market generates tons of organic waste daily, including fruit peels, vegetable trimmings, and unsold produce, much of which previously ended up in drains and dumpsites.

“I had the privilege of launching and handing over the Ikosi Fruit Market Biodigester Plant, delivered in partnership with @c40cities and with support from UK International Development under the Climate Action Implementation programme.

“Every day, Ikosi Fruit Market generates tons of organic waste, fruit peels, vegetable trimmings, unsold produce. In the past, much of this ended up in dumpsites and road medians, clogging drains, creating health risks, and releasing methane into the atmosphere.

“Today, that same waste will be fed into an anaerobic digester where it will be converted into biogas for cooking and electricity, as well as nutrient-rich biofertilizer for farmers. This is the circular economy in action,” he said on Monday.

He added that the project aligns with Lagos’ broader goal of building a resilient and resource-efficient city through visible, community-level climate actions.

This is the latest effort in the state’s waste management move. In July 2025, the Lagos State Government announced plans for a $400 million Waste-to-Energy plant in Epe, aimed at tackling waste, supplying electricity to two million residents, and reducing flooding.

Before that, in October 2024, Mr Wahab revealed that Lagos secured a €120 million commitment from the Netherlands to support its ongoing project with Harvest Waste Consortium, which is expected to convert 2,500–3,000 tons of municipal solid waste into electricity daily.

Adedapo Adesanya is a journalist, polymath, and connoisseur of everything art. When he is not writing, he has his nose buried in one of the many books or articles he has bookmarked or simply listening to good music with a bottle of beer or wine. He supports the greatest club in the world, Manchester United F.C.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General

DHQ Nigeria Recovers Official X Account from Hackers

Published

on

dhq abuja

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has regained control of its official X account, @DHQNigeria, after the platform was compromised in an unauthorised cyberattack.

The development comes a few days after the military authorities alerted the public that the account had been compromised and warned Nigerians to disregard suspicious or misleading posts published from the handle.

The account was reportedly taken over on Saturday, with unauthorised cryptocurrency-related content appearing on the platform.

The incident prompted concerns because the account is an official channel used by the Nigerian military to communicate information on security operations and other defence matters.

In a statement issued on Saturday, the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, said the incident was being treated as a cybersecurity matter and that technical measures had been activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account,” Mr Uba said.

He urged members of the public to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that might have been posted from the account during the period of the breach.

The DHQ also directed Nigerians to rely on its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and its WhatsApp Channel, while efforts were made to restore control of the X account.

The military has now confirmed its return to the platform.

In a brief post on the recovered account, the DHQ wrote: “WE’RE BACK.”

“Thank you for your patience and continued support,” the military authority added.

The recovery effectively restores one of the Armed Forces of Nigeria’s major channels for communicating directly with the public.

The DHQ has not disclosed details of those behind the cyberattack or how the unauthorised access was obtained.

Authorities had earlier said the incident was under investigation as a cybersecurity matter.

The incident has also highlighted the growing cybersecurity risks facing official government and security institutions, particularly social media accounts with large audiences and the capacity to influence public perception during sensitive security operations.

Continue Reading

General

Edo Assembly Gets New Speaker as Blessing Agbebaku Quits

By Dipo Olowookere A new Speaker has emerged for the Edo State House of Assembly, and he is Mr Osamwonyi Atu, representing Orhionmwon East constituency. His assumption of office followed the resignation of Mr Blessing Agbebaku, representing Owan West Constituency, on Monday. The leadership change in the legislative arm of government in Edo State was […]

Published

on

Edo Assembly Osamwonyi Atu

By Dipo Olowookere

A new Speaker has emerged for the Edo State House of Assembly, and he is Mr Yekini Oisayemoje, representing Akoko Edo Constituency II.

His assumption of office followed the resignation of Mr Blessing Agbebaku, representing Owan West Constituency, on Monday.

The leadership change in the legislative arm of government in Edo State was not what was seen coming too soon.

This development, according to observers, could further restructure the political dynamics within the state’s tier of government.

According to reports, Mr Agbebaku decided to step down from the exalted position because he suspects he could be impeached as Speaker, and to avert denting his political image, he quickly resigned.

The lawmaker was elected as the Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly in June 2023 under the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), but in 2025, he defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC), a party of the Governor of Edo State, Mr Monday Okpebholo.

There have been speculations that he may still be loyal to the immediate past governor of Edo State, Mr Godwin Obaseki. This may have prompted rumours of his purported impeachment.

Continue Reading

General

NSDC Targets 2m Tonnes Local Sugar Production Under New Master Plan

Published

on

price of sugar

By Adedapo Adesanya

The National Sugar Development Council (NSDC) has unveiled plans to accelerate Nigeria’s journey to sugar self-sufficiency, with a target of producing about two million metric tonnes of sugar locally under the Nigeria Sugar Master Plan (NSMP) 2.0.

NSDC Executive Secretary and Chief Executive Officer, Mr Kamar Bakrin, disclosed this when he received members of the Abuja Chapter of the Chartered Institute of Directors (CIoD) at the Council’s headquarters in Abuja.

Mr Bakrin described NSMP 2.0 as an “acceleration mandate” designed to compress Nigeria’s timeline to sugar self-sufficiency and reduce the country’s dependence on imported sugar.

Nigeria currently consumes about 1.8 million metric tonnes of sugar annually, while approximately $1 billion is spent on sugar imports each year.

The NSDC said increasing local production would help retain this value within the Nigerian economy while creating jobs, supporting rural development, saving foreign exchange and driving industrialisation.

Mr Bakrin said the council’s ambition goes beyond sugar production, noting that sugarcane can also support the production of ethanol, animal feed and electricity, thereby creating a broader bio-industrial ecosystem.

He identified governance and implementation as major challenges facing the sector, saying Nigeria has adequate policies but has struggled with effective execution.

The council is also strengthening the Backwards Integration Programme (BIP), noting that companies seeking import quotas must demonstrate genuine commitment to the integration programme, while major refiners are required to submit audited production commitments linked to their quotas.

He said the organisation plans to use satellite imagery and physical inspections to verify activities at project sites and enforce compliance.

Continue Reading