Connect with us

General

Paris Accord: Nigeria Signs to Achieve 13GW Solar PV by 2030

Published

on

Paris Accord: Nigeria Signs to Achieve 13GW Solar PV by 2030

Paris Accord: Nigeria Signs to Achieve 13GW Solar PV by 2030

By Dipo Olowookere

Yesterday, the world was taken aback with the decision of the United States to withdraw from the Paris Climate Accord, which it assented on April 22, 2016 with the agreement coming into force on November 4, 2016 after its acceptance on September 3, 2017.

President Donald Trump, while announcing the withdrawal of the US from the agreement, said the reason was because the deal did not favour America. He hinted that the United States could make a return if it was renegotiated.

Since Thursday’s event, which sparked global outrage, some Nigerians have wondered why the Federal Government assented to when it joined.

It is important to note that the Paris Climate Accord came into place on November 4, 2016, thirty days after the date on which at least 55 Parties to the Convention accounting in total for at least an estimated 55 percent of the total global greenhouse gas emissions have deposited their instruments of ratification, acceptance, approval or accession with the Depositary.

Since then, 147 parties have ratified of 197 Parties to the Convention.

Nigeria is one of the parties that have had its entry ratified. It signed the accord on September 22, 2016 and was ratified on May 16, 2017, and it is expected to come into force on June 15, 2017.

Digs done by Business Post showed that Nigeria agreed to work “towards ending gas flaring by 2030” and also “work towards Off-grid solar PV of 13GW (13,000MW)” at the same period.

The Federal government said it hopes to achieve “efficient gas generators, 2 percent per year energy efficiency (30% by 2030), transport shift car to bus, improve electricity grid, and climate smart agriculture and reforestation.”

The country also promised to achieve Business as Usual (BAU) of around 3.4 tonnes CO2e by 2030.

View the full report of Nigeria Here

Dipo Olowookere is a journalist based in Nigeria that has passion for reporting business news stories. At his leisure time, he watches football and supports 3SC of Ibadan. Mr Olowookere can be reached via dipo.olowookere@businesspost.ng

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

General

Violent Protest Erupts in Ibadan Over Naira Scarcity

Published

on

protest in Ibadan

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

There are reports of a violent protest in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, over the scarcity of old and new Naira notes, Business Post has gathered.

It was learned that residents of the ancient city are venting their anger over the hardship caused by the policy of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the federal government.

The central bank redesigned the N200, N500, and N1,000 notes and asked citizens to return their old banknotes because they would cease to be legal tender.

However, since the introduction of the new currency notes in circulation on December 15, 2022, many Nigerians have not been able to withdraw their money from banks, fuelling anger in the land.

On Friday afternoon, some residents of Ibadan, especially in Iwo Road, took to the streets to express their frustration at the development, which is coming at a time consumers have to queue for petrol.

They had bonfires on the road and disrupted business activities in some areas of the city.

Recall that today, the Governor of Oyo State, Mr Seyi Makinde, announced the suspension of his campaign activities over the scarcity of Naira and fuel.

Also on Friday, the Governors of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) met with President Muhammadu Buhari to appeal to him to change his mind on the Naira swap policy because of the effect on the people and the 2023 general elections starting later this month.

The President had earlier been asked not to show up in Kano State because of fears of a violent protest over the development. After the deadline was moved forward, the Governor of the state, Mr Abdullahi Ganduje, said he was safe to visit the ancient city.

However, during his visit to Kano, there were reports of a demonstration, with a chopped stoned by some residents of the state and convoys attacked by angry protesters.

The government claimed the protest was not directed at President Buhari, while the opposition party, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), said otherwise.

protest in Ibadan

Continue Reading

General

APC Governors Beg Buhari to Allow Use of Old, New Naira Notes

Published

on

APC Governors

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

President Muhammadu Buhari has been urged to allow the use of old and Naira notes as legal tender in the country until the former is naturally mopped up from the circulation.

This appeal was made on Friday by Governors elected on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) during a meeting with Mr Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

In a brief chat with reporters after the meeting, the Governor of Kano State, Mr Abdullahi Ganduje, said after the request was made to the President, he promised to look into it.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) last month redesigned the N200, N500, and N1,000 banknotes and said the old currency denominations would cease to be legal tender from January 31, 2023.

However, two days before the deadline, the Governor of the CBN, Mr Godwin Emefiele, after a meeting with President Buhari in his hometown in Daura, Katsina State, said the deadline had been shifted to February 10, 2023, noting that Nigerians had a grace period of February 17, 2023, to return the old notes to the bank.

On Tuesday, January 31, he appeared before the House of Representatives ad-hoc committee on the CBN policy to say Nigerians could still take their old notes to banks after the deadline, promising that citizens will not lose their funds.

Today, the APC Governors met with Mr Buhari to discuss the scarcity of Naira in the financial system and also the lingering fuel scarcity.

One of the Governors present at the gathering, Mr Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State, had claimed this week that the scarcity of cash and petrol was the handiwork of some elements in the Villa, who do not want the party to succeed in the forthcoming elections.

“We spoke with the President to allow the old and new notes to co-exist until the old notes die a natural death,” Mr Ganduje told newsmen while walking out after the meeting.

“Sir, did you discuss the petrol scarcity with him,” one of the reporters asked the Kano Governor, and he responded, “Yes.”

Continue Reading

General

Oyo Governor Suspends Campaign Activities Over Fuel, Naira Crisis

Published

on

Makinde campaign activities

By Aduragbemi Omiyale

Due to the unending fuel and new Naira notes crisis rocking the country, Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has suspended his campaign activities.

Mr Makinde is seeking another term in office under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

He commenced his campaign activities last month, asking residents of the state to give him another chance to serve them.

But the scarcity of premium petrol spirit (PMS), otherwise known as petrol, and cash has put Nigerians under untold hardship.

Governor Makinde, during the flag-off of the Omi-Adio-Ido Road on Friday, said in solidarity with the people over anti-people economy policies of the All Progressives Congress (APC) led federal government, he would be suspending his campaign.

A statement by the Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Mr Wasiu Olatubosun confirmed this.

In the statement, Mr Makinde, who was in Ido to continue his campaign, directed that all campaign activities be suspended until further notice.

Mr Olatubosun said Governor Makinde noted that the suffering of his people was too much, saying he was elected to protect their interests and well-being.

The Commissioner said his boss, in an emotionally laden voice, directed leaders of the party in Oyo State to suspend the campaign.

“As a mark of honour to citizens and residents of Oyo State, the Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, has directed that all campaign activities of the party at all levels be suspended until further notice,” the statement read.

“Governor Seyi Makinde’s love for his people necessitated this unprecedented move at this time. We urge all residents and citizens of the State to remain calm as we navigate through this difficult period together,” he added.

Continue Reading
%d bloggers like this: