Connect with us

Health

COVID-19: Nigerians Share AstraZeneca Vaccine Experience

Published

on

AstraZeneca Vaccine Safe

By Ahmed Rahma

After weeks of speculations and doubts among Nigerians on whether the country will secure the COVID-19 vaccine, on March 2, 2021, the federal government finally took delivery of the first batch of about four million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine from COVAX.

The 3.94 million doses are part of the 16 million doses being expected from COVAX by the end of this year.

The federal government, through the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, on March 5, 2021, flagged-off a national COVID-19 vaccination programme at the National Hospital, Abuja after the vaccine was tested and certified to be effective and safe for use in the country by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).

A medical doctor, Cyprian Ngong, of the National Hospital Abuja, who has been treating COVID-19 patients at the hospital’s isolation centre since the beginning of the fight last year, was the first Nigerian to receive the vaccine.

Similarly, all state governors, asides Kogi State governor, have launched vaccination programmes in their states.

Due to the experiences from other climes on the effect of the AstraZeneca vaccine, there have been concerns that Nigerians should be cautious in administering the vaccine.

But the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency (NPHCDA), last Monday, said it has not received any official report of serious adverse effects from any of those that have been vaccinated.

The agency explained that mild side effects, such as pains and swelling at the point of injection are expected, as normal with any vaccination, adding that the agency is working closely with NAFDAC to monitor any unusual adverse reactions to the vaccine.

As the mixed feelings continue, some Nigerians already vaccinated have shared their AstraZeneca vaccine experience.

The Chief Nursing Officer at the National Hospital, Mrs Faith Eragbai, who was the second Nigerian to be vaccinated, said;

I did not feel anything after taking the vaccine, no slight headache, no fever or anything. It is already three weeks and I have not had any adverse reaction. I am very strong. I was infected with the Coronavirus around June/July 2020. I was on admission for 19 days and 16 days on oxygen. My whole life almost collapsed, but I thank God for seeing me through.

Today, I am alive to testify about His goodness. For Nigerians who are still sceptical about whether or not to take the vaccine, I have opened the way for them. I have sacrificed because I know the effect of it. I know what I went through, even after I was discharged. It was as if the COVID-19 virus was still there because of the complications.

I was experiencing breathlessness up to January this year before God intervened and I can now breathe well, with other things that I was using: Zinc, vitamin C and all the drugs they prescribed.

I took the vaccine because there is no guarantee that after surviving the virus, you won’t contract it again. I don’t want the infection again, and that is why I took the vaccine. And even if I contract the virus again, it won’t be severe or life-threatening. This is why we are advising Nigerians still doubting whether the Coronavirus is real or whether the vaccine is killing; that the vaccine doesn’t kill.

Rather, it boosts the immune system to resist and lessen the complications from infections. When you take the vaccine, you will be confident that no matter what, death from the virus is out of it, especially when it has entered the stage of difficulty in breathing.

However, you can still contract the virus after taking the vaccine, if you don’t take the precaution of washing your hands, wearing a facemask and observing physical distancing, among others.

There is no problem with the vaccine, I, Faith Iragba, is telling Nigerians to take the vaccine. They should ignore the conspiracy theories, and that people are dying after taking the vaccine. They are all lies. It is okay to take the vaccine.

Dr Adebayo Akintayo, a medical doctor based in Lagos

The vaccine is very safe and probably more effective than we ever thought. I got my jab on March 15, 2021, and I have been perfectly okay since then. I was able to do all my activities on that day and even up till now without any complaint or side effect.

We need to be more deliberate and serious in our approach to the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. We need to combine COVID-19 vaccination with other interventions in order to significantly protect ourselves. There is no point shooting down the jabs, whether it is AstraZeneca, Pfizer or Modena with misinformation/disinformation.

Available evidence has shown that vaccination protects and reduces the severity of the infectious disease. I would advise all eligible persons, age 18 and above, to take the COVID-19 vaccine. The Nigerian authorities, through various regulatory bodies, are really monitoring patients’ response to all the jabs. Health workers are encouraged to fill the yellow cards for any reported adverse reactions from our patients. Therefore, anyone experiencing a side effect should report to the vaccination centre for proper documentation and possible scientific evaluation.

Ibrahim Quadri, Journalist, Lagos

It was a feeling of calculated risk that welled up in me, I must confess. On Friday, March 12, 2021, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu got his jab together with some state officials that were present and willing to receive their shots.

So, the initial doubt in me, especially going by the reports of suspension of the jab in European countries, was completely erased- having read the personal experiences of the governor and my colleagues.

But when I was to receive mine yesterday, I began to wonder what would be the likely side effects on my system, especially as I was fasting. Eventually, I summoned up courage. After all, no medical expert had prescribed eating before taking the jab.

While taking the prescribed rest of 15 minutes after receiving the vaccine, I noticed the flowing of the jab all around my system. After leaving the spot, it was a case of weakness and a slight headache and later bitter taste in my mouth.

A few minutes after waking up, I was sweating profusely, but I later felt very sound. This feeling of ease did not last, as I completely lost my physical strength, though I managed to get home. I showered, prayed and broke the fast at the appropriate time. I discovered that I needed to take much more water to suppress the dehydration.

Although I had a slight delay before sleeping, it was a sound sleep and I woke up feeling stronger. In all, my experience is a pleasing one because medical personnel already predicted the reactions I got. I, therefore, advise those who have not received to feel free and go for theirs. It’s for the good of all.

Omolara Omosanya, Journalist

I only experienced a sort of heaviness and tenderness in the arm where I got the jab but nothing else otherwise. However, my husband, who is a medical doctor, had malaria-like symptoms, though he was able to go to work.

Akinbowale Azeez Olawale, a cleaner at one of the isolation centres

I received the vaccine on March 12, 2021. I felt very weak the following day, after receiving my jab. This was aside a slight headache that I had till 7pm on that day. I did not take any drug to suppress the reaction, but I got better naturally.

Eric Togbe, a health worker at the National Hospital

I took the vaccine and there was no adverse effect. I decided to take the vaccine because I work in the hospital community and I come in contact with many people, including patients. It is more than a week now that I took the vaccine and I am very okay. I urge all Nigerians to take the vaccine.

Toyin Adebayo, a journalist with Daily Independent Newspapers, Abuja Office

A few hours after taking the vaccine, I felt dizzy, and after that, I was thinking I wouldn’t be able to sleep. On the contrary, I slept like a baby without pains, no ache, nothing. Personally, I think the issue of reaction depends on the individual’s body makeup because some people took it and said they had pains and couldn’t sleep, aside from having a headache. NAFDAC advised that when you are reacting to the jab, just like any other vaccine, take paracetamol. I took the vaccine because I believed it is good for me.

Gbenga Omokhunu works with The Nation Newspapers, Abuja

The confidence to take the jab came from the fact that President Muhammadu Buhari and other notable Nigerians have taken the vaccine. Some people who are not so popular have also taken it and from findings, there were no reactions, despite the negative news flying around.

There was no serious reaction, except for my intake of more water than before in the first two days. For me, the vaccine is safe and efficacious for everyone. I hereby encourage Nigerians to take the vaccine with faith; all is well.

Source: The Guardian

Ahmed Rahma is a journalist with great interest in arts and craft. She is also a foodie who loves new ideas. She loves to travel and would love to visit other African countries someday. She is a sucker for historical movies and afrobeat.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Ebola: NCAA Directs Enhanced Surveillance Across Nigerian Airports

Published

on

ebola

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has directed airlines, airport operators and other aviation stakeholders to intensify public health surveillance measures following the outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda.

In a circular dated May 18, 2026, the NCAA said the directive became necessary due to growing concerns over the spread of the disease and the critical role of the aviation sector in preventing cross-border transmission.

The authority noted that although no confirmed case linked to the outbreak has been recorded in Nigeria, it is collaborating with the Federal Ministry of Health, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Port Health Services and international health organisations to closely monitor the situation.

According to the NCAA, health authorities in the DRC recently identified a cluster of severe illnesses among healthcare workers in the Bunia Health Zone in the northeastern part of the country.

Recall that Nigeria also said it would tighten surveillance after the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared a public health emergency after Ebola killed over 80 people in Congo and Uganda.

Laboratory investigations later confirmed the presence of the Bundibugyo virus, a strain of the Ebola virus family known to cause severe viral haemorrhagic disease in humans.

The authority stated that there is currently no licensed vaccine specifically approved for the Bundibugyo strain, while treatment remains largely supportive and symptom-based.

The NCAA listed symptoms associated with Ebola Virus Disease to include sudden fever, severe fatigue, persistent headache, vomiting, abdominal pain and bleeding manifestations such as nosebleeds or vomiting blood.

It stressed that early detection and immediate reporting remain critical to preventing the international spread of the disease.

As part of preventive measures, the authority said disease surveillance systems at airports have been strengthened, while contact tracing, case reporting mechanisms and border health screening procedures are also being reinforced.

The NCAA further directed pilots to notify Air Traffic Control of any suspected communicable disease cases onboard aircraft, in line with the Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations.

It also instructed flight crew members to complete and submit Aircraft General Declaration forms for all suspected cases and mandated airlines to ensure passenger locator forms are completed and handed over to Port Health Services upon arrival.

The authority added that airlines must ensure aircraft are properly equipped with first aid kits, universal precaution kits and emergency medical kits.

It also urged operators to reinforce crew training on the identification and management of communicable diseases and ensure strict adherence to infection prevention and control guidelines.

The NCAA called on all aviation stakeholders to remain vigilant and comply fully with established public health protocols to safeguard passengers, crew members and the general public from potential health threats.

Continue Reading

Health

Nigeria on High Alert as WHO Declares Ebola Emergency of International Concern

Published

on

ebola dr congo

By Adedapo Adesanya

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has said that although the country currently has no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), it is, nevertheless, actively strengthening surveillance.

This comes as the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern, after 80 deaths were attributed to the disease.

The WHO, however, stopped short of declaring a pandemic, saying it did not meet the necessary criteria. The United Nations agency advised countries against closing borders or restricting trade.

Early symptoms include fever, muscle pain, fatigue, headache, and sore throat, and are followed by vomiting, diarrhoea, a rash, and bleeding.

In a statement by its Director General, Mr Jide Idris, on Sunday, the NCDC noted that it is also ramping up laboratory readiness, infection prevention, and public awareness efforts across the country.

He said the centre was closely monitoring the situation due to increasing regional movement across African countries and was working with relevant stakeholders, including the Port Health Services under the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, to strengthen preparedness within Nigeria’s public health system.

“NCDC is closely monitoring the situation and working with relevant stakeholders, including the Port Health Services, to ensure continued vigilance and preparedness within the public health system,” he stated.

The NCDC boss described Ebola virus disease as a severe viral illness transmitted through direct contact with the blood, bodily fluids, secretions, or contaminated materials of infected persons or animals.

He noted that the disease has an incubation period ranging from two to 21 days, while symptoms include fever, weakness, headache, muscle pain, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhoea, and, in severe cases, unexplained bleeding.

Recall that Nigeria gained international recognition for successfully containing an Ebola outbreak in 2014 after an infected traveller arrived in Lagos from Liberia.

Healthcare workers were advised to maintain a high index of suspicion for Ebola, especially in patients presenting symptoms compatible with the disease alongside relevant travel or exposure history.

Idris stressed the importance of strict adherence to infection prevention and control measures, including early identification and isolation of suspected cases, proper use of personal protective equipment, hand hygiene, and prompt reporting through established channels.

“NCDC will continue to monitor the situation closely and provide updates as necessary,” he added.

NCDC advised Nigerians to remain calm, maintain good hand hygiene, avoid misinformation, and report unusual illnesses promptly.

Continue Reading

Health

NNPC Donates MRI Machine, Others to Nnewi Teaching Hospital

Published

on

NNPC MRI Machine Nnewi teaching hospital

By Modupe Gbadeyanka

A 1.5 Tesla Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine has been donated to the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital (NAUTH), Nnewi, Anambra State, by the corporate social responsibility arm of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited, NNPC Foundation.

In a statement on Sunday by its Chief Corporate Communications Officer, Mr Andy Odeh, the state-owned oil organisation said the medical item was given to the healthcare institution as part of its commitment to improving healthcare access and strengthening medical infrastructure across Nigeria.

The MRI system is expected to significantly improve access to advanced diagnostic imaging services for millions of Nigerians across the South-East (Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Abia and Ebonyi States) as well as neighbouring Delta State.

The foundation also provided critical supporting infrastructure, including RF shielding systems, chillers, backup UPS systems, electrical installations, specialised imaging accessories, ventilation systems, CCTV and oxygen monitoring systems, intercom communication facilities, and other patient comfort technologies designed to ensure optimal operation of the facility.

Before now, patients requiring advanced MRI diagnostic services often faced prolonged waiting periods, exorbitant costs, and the burden of travelling long distances in search of functional imaging centres.

But it is believed that the intervention of the NNPC Foundation would provide succour to patients.

At the presentation of the items to the institution over the weekend, the chief executive of the NNPC, Mr Bashir Bayo Ojulari, represented by the Managing Director of NNPC Foundation, Mrs Emmanuella Arukwe, described the intervention as a strategic investment in healthcare access, diagnostic precision, and improved patient outcomes, noting that the facility aligns with the company’s commitment to building sustainable systems and impactful national institutions.

“The installation of the MRI in NAUTH exemplifies our commitment, as our intent is to build enduring institutions, sustainable systems and legacies. This intervention aligns with our conviction that access to quality healthcare underpins human dignity, longevity and economic productivity,” Mr Ojulari stated.

‎He described the company’s social investments as viable currencies that strengthen the relationship between the Company’s core mandate of providing and managing energy for Nigerians and meeting stakeholders’ expectations.

‎In his remarks, the Governor of Anambra State, Mr Charles Soludo, who was represented by the Commissioner for Health, Dr Afam Obidike, said the intervention would enhance safe and precise diagnosis and treatment for patients across the South-East region.

He also commended NNPC Foundation for donating the MRI facility to the state, noting that the intervention would significantly improve access to quality healthcare services for the people.

The Chief Medical Director of NAUTH, Prof Joseph Ugboaja, thanked the donor for the items, saying NNPC Foundation has demonstrated that corporate social responsibility is not just a policy statement but a lifeline for institutions like ours.

“For too long, patients in our catchment area have had to travel long distances to access this level of diagnostic precision, often at prohibitive costs. With this installation, we will eliminate that burden,” he enthused.

Continue Reading

Trending