By Adedapo Adesanya
The National Blood Transfusion Services (NBTS) has disclosed that it is targeting about one million free blood donors to improve the nation’s safe blood units.
According to the services’ National Coordinator, Mr Omale Amedu, only 5 per cent of total blood donations in the country were made by voluntary donors while the remaining 95 per cent were commercially provided.
The NBTS boss said this had further exposed some blood recipients to the risks of infectious diseases such as Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Hepatitis B and C among others.
He said the one million free blood donors target would ensure sufficiency in blood supply for survival and improved health.
He added that the target was set under the agency’s One Million Safe Blood Units Initiative.
Mr Amedu said through advocacies in communities and various media platforms, the agency intended to encourage more people to freely donate blood to increase the nation’s blood reserve.
“This will not only provide adequate safe blood for the country but also serve as a source of raw materials for producing blood components and plasma-derived medicinal products,” he said.
He explained that through the NBTS 10-year strategic plan (2021-2030), the country would achieve improved blood services, one or two of Sustainable Development Goals and ensure Universal Health Coverage.
Mr Amedu added that the implementation of the strategic plan would make NBTS a more effective, efficient coordinator and regulator of blood services and ensure access to safe blood.
The NBTS boss noted that this could only be achieved through increased budgetary allocation, adding that only N500 million out of the initial proposed N4 billion was appropriated for the agency in 2021.
Mr Amedu said adequate funding would enable the agency to improve the nation’s blood supply, through the proposed establishment of the National Strategic Safe Blood Reserve.
“There is a need for adequate funding to enable us to implement both the initiative of one million safe blood and the National Strategic Safe Blood Reserve,” Mr Amedu stressed.
The blockchain brings new financing options to the business market. For example, Bitcoin Cash casino has adapted to only using cryptocurrency. This way, it makes it easier for their customers to deposit and withdraw in a BCH casino. Entrepreneurs have taken note of this and are looking to invest more in crypto than in fiat markets.
Like Our Facebook Page
Latest News on Business Post
- Stock Investors Manage N2bn Gain as Results Dampen Spirits April 23, 2021
- Brent Climbs as Libyan Production Dips April 23, 2021
- Onne Customs Raises Revenue 69.4% to N38.9 billion in Q1 2021 April 22, 2021
- YouTube Launches Inaugural Africa Reading Challenge April 22, 2021
- Audiomack, MTN Develop Data Bundle for Music Streaming April 22, 2021
- FCTA to Reward High Impact Entrepreneurs April 22, 2021
- CSCS Assures Shareholders Sustainable Value, to Pay N1.17 Dividend April 22, 2021
- Fitbit Unveils Device to Track Users’ Fitness, Wellness April 22, 2021
- UK Expresses Willingness to Attract More Investments to Nigeria April 22, 2021
- How to Invest in Stocks in Nigeria: Guide for Beginners April 22, 2021
Economy5 years ago
Kwara Disburses N1.7b For Projects
Technology4 months ago
How To Link Your MTN, Airtel, Glo, 9mobile Lines to NIN
Economy3 years ago
FAAC: FG, States, LGs Share N655.18b in January
Feature/OPED1 year ago
Davos was Different this year
Feature/OPED1 month ago
COVID and the Growth of Technology in Nigeria
Economy1 month ago
MBA Forex Blames CBN for Inability to Return Investors’ Funds
General2 years ago
Ikeja Electric Explains How to Get Prepaid Metres via MAP
Banking3 years ago
Sort Codes of GTBank Branches in Nigeria