Economy
Easing Trade Tensions May Lead to Strength on Wall Street
By Investors Hub
The major U.S. index futures are pointing to a higher opening on Monday, with stocks likely to add to the strong gains posted last week.
Early buying interest may be generated amid easing trade tensions ahead of a second round of trade talks between the U.S. and China this week.
Ahead of the meeting, President Donald Trump indicated in a post on Twitter that he is working with Chinese President Xi Jinping to get Chinese telecom equipment maker ZTE Corp. ?back into business, fast.?
ZTE has been crippled by a ban on U.S. supplies to its business, and sources briefed on the matter told Reuters that China has demanded the issue be resolved as a prerequisite for broader trade negotiations.
In a subsequent tweet, Trump expressed optimism about trade talks with China despite claiming past negotiations have been one-sided in favor of Beijing.
?China and the United States are working well together on trade, but past negotiations have been so one sided in favor of China, for so many years, that it is hard for them to make a deal that benefits both countries,? Trump tweeted. ?But be cool, it will all work out!?
Overall trading activity may be somewhat subdued, however, with a lack of major U.S. economic data likely to keep some traders on the sidelines.
After moving notably higher over the course of trading last Wednesday and Thursday, stocks turned in a lackluster performance during trading on Friday. The major averages spent the day bouncing back and forth across the unchanged line.
The Dow and the S&P 500 reached their best closing levels in nearly two months, but the Nasdaq closed marginally lower. While the Nasdaq edged down 2.09 points or less than a tenth of a percent to 7,402.88, the Dow climbed 91.64 points or 0.4 percent to 24,831.17 and the S&P 500 rose 4.65 points or 0.2 percent to 2,727.72.
Despite the mixed performance on the day, the major averages all moved sharply higher for the week. The Nasdaq surged up by 2.7 percent, and the Dow and the S&P 500 jumped by 2.3 percent and 2.4 percent, respectively.
The markets initially benefited from the upward momentum seen in the two previous sessions, but buying interest waned as traders seemed wary of continuing to pick up stocks.
Traders were also digesting President Donald Trump’s outline of his plan to reduce high drug prices, which he has previously described as a top priority for his administration.
In remarks from the White House rose garden, Trump suggested the government was partly to blame for high drug prices but also criticized drug lobbyists and so-called “middle men.”
Trump announced several steps his administration will take to reduce drug prices, including giving Medicare Part D plans better tools to negotiate discounts.
Reports earlier in the day indicated Trump’s reforms of Medicare would stop short of allowing the government to negotiate directly with drug makers.
The president also indicated he would seek to increase competition in drug markets, develop new incentives for drug makers to lower list prices and develop options to lower patients’ out-of-pocket spending.
On the U.S. economic front, the Labor Department released a report showing import prices increased by less than expected in the month of April.
The Labor Department said import prices rose by 0.3 percent in April after edging down by a revised 0.2 percent in March. Economists had expected import prices to climb by 0.5 percent.
Meanwhile, the report said export prices increased by 0.6 percent in April after rising by 0.3 percent in March. Export prices had been expected to rise by another 0.3 percent.
A separate report released by the University of Michigan showed consumer sentiment unexpectedly held steady in early May.
The report said the preliminary reading on the consumer sentiment index for May came in at 98.8, unchanged from the final April reading. Economists had expected the index to edge down to 98.5.
Many of the major sectors ended the day showing only modest moves, contributing to the lackluster close by the broader markets.
Biotechnology stocks showed a significant move to the upside, however, with the NYSE Arca Biotechnology Index jumping by 1.8 percent.
Healthcare and pharmaceutical stocks also saw considerable strength as traders reacted to Trump’s plan to reduce drug prices.
On the other hand, tobacco stocks moved notably lower on the day, dragging the NYSE Arca Tobacco Index down by 1 percent.
Economy
May & Baker Dissociates Self from M&B Equity Stake Investment Scheme
By Aduragbemi Omiyale
One of the leading manufacturing companies in the country, May & Baker Nigeria Plc, has distanced itself from an investment scheme it described as “fraudulent.”
In a statement on Tuesday, the firm stressed that it has no relationship whatsoever with M&B Equity Stake investment scheme, warning members of the public to “remain vigilant and verify any purported investment opportunity or communication relating to the company through its official communication channels before taking any action.”
May & Baker disclosed that it is not currently undertaking any rights issue, public offer or other capital-raising exercise involving the solicitation of investments from the public.
It stated that any future capital-raising exercise will be formally communicated through its authorised communication channels and conducted in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and the requirements of the Nigerian Exchange (NGX) Limited and other relevant regulatory authorities.
It, therefore, advised the investing public “to disregard such communications, refrain from making any payment or disclosing personal or financial information in response to them and report any such fraudulent activity to the appropriate authorities.”
May & Baker said any person, platform, flier, message, website or other communication soliciting funds from the investing public in the name of May & Baker Nigeria Plc in connection with an M&B Equity Stake or similar investment opportunity is fraudulent, unauthorised and not issued by or on its behalf.
Economy
Dangote Refinery Gets $1bn Backing from Advisers Ahead of IPO
By Adedapo Adesanya
Two advisers to Dangote Petroleum Refinery’s planned Initial Public Offering (IPO) on Tuesday announced a $1 billion underwriting programme for the offering, giving the plant potentially powerful new route to African and international capital.
Marob Strategies and Consulting DIFC Limited and Lilium Capital Group said in a statement that the programme comprises a completed and funded $600 million private placement and a $400 million underwriting commitment for the planned IPO.
The $600 million placement is already complete.
The remaining $400 million commitment will only come into effect when the IPO is launched and remains subject to market conditions, regulatory and corporate approvals, and definitive documentation and securities-law requirements, according to the advisers.
Dangote Petroleum Refinery, built by Africa’s richest man Aliko Dangote, has become a symbol of Nigeria’s attempt to reduce dependence on imported refined petroleum products while building domestic refining and petrochemical capacity.
Recall that it has applied to Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for a $5 billion IPO. However, the final size of the offering has yet to be determined.
The refinery has emerged as a major beneficiary of supply disruptions linked to the Iran war, increasing sales of jet fuel across Africa and into Western Europe as buyers seek alternative supplies.
The planned listing could rank among the largest IPOs in Africa, depending on the final size of the offering and market conditions at launch.
“This is an important milestone for DPRP and for African capital markets,” Mr Dangote said in the announcement, describing the completed placement and IPO underwriting commitment as a sign of confidence in the refinery’s strategic role.
On his part, Marob Strategies Chairman, Mr Benedict Oramah, a former president of the refinery’s backer Africa Export-Import Bank, said investor interest demonstrated appetite for African-led capital markets transactions involving transformative assets on the continent.
Adding his part, Lilium Capital Chairman, Mr Simon Tiemtoré, similarly framed the deal as an effort to connect major African investment opportunities with institutional capital across the continent and international markets.
Economy
Nigeria Mulls 5% Revenue Fines for Anti-Competitive Midstream, Downstream Operators
By Adedapo Adesanya
The Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) could impose fines of up to five per cent of the annual turnover of petroleum operators found guilty of serious anti-competitive practices in the midstream and downstream sectors.
This was contained in the draft regulations of the proposed Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Prevention of Anti-Competitive Practices and Behaviour Regulations, 2026.
According to the proposal, errant companies of serious offences such as price-fixing, bid-rigging, market allocation, abuse of market dominance and other conduct capable of causing significant harm to competition could be fined between three and five per cent of their annual turnover.
It further proposed that persistent or serious offenders may also have their licences suspended or revoked, while the NMDPRA may impose daily penalties on operators that fail to comply with its orders or continue prohibited conduct after being directed to stop.
The draft regulation stated: “Where the Authority determines, after investigation and due process, that a licensee or any other person has engaged in anti-competitive conduct or breached any provision of this Regulation or the Act, it may impose administrative fines as provided herein.
The maximum administrative fine shall not exceed five per cent of the annual turnover of the offending undertaking for the preceding financial year.
“For purposes of these regulations, ‘annual turnover’ means gross revenues or sales derived from the regulated business activities in Nigeria. Where multiple entities or group structures are involved, the Authority may consider the turnover of the group, subsidiary, or segment most directly involved in the infringement.”
“Where a licensee or person fails to comply with an order or directive of the Authority, a daily penalty may be imposed for each day the violation continues.
“Where a prohibited practice continues after a final order, the daily penalty could rise to between N10m and N50m. Before imposing a fine, the NMDPRA would issue a Notice of Intention to Fine setting out the facts and findings, the nature of the infringement, the basis for calculating the proposed fine and the proposed deadline for payment,” it proposed.



